A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy a A8L TDI

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy a A8L TDI

Hello everyone! I'm new here and have never owned an Audi. I've been wanting to buy a used diesel sedan and was looking at old reviews that compare the A8L TDI with the BMW 740Ld and M-B S350 Bluetec. The A8L TDI seems superior to the others in several areas. I found a 2014 A8L TDI with 40k miles on it that's for sale nearby with a list price of $35k, claiming the MSRP was $99k when new. I have not looked at it yet, but it looks like a very nice car.

In the past I've owned lots of cars. Lately I've been driving a Volvo S60 and a Dodge Ram 2500 diesel.

Does anyone have advice for buying an A8L TDI? Anything to look out for? From reading forum posts I see there was an issue involving the VW emissions scandel, and there was a fix that is performed by the dealer for certain model year diesels. Is there a way I can know if the fix was done on a particular car?
Old 11-29-2018, 04:49 AM
D4 in PA

Received 122 Likes on 86 Posts

I have tinkered with the idea of swapping my '15 4.0 for a TDI as my driving patterns will include significantly more highway miles over the next two years, so I have been researching the TDI's for a couple months.

The TDI is a great car, with virtually no engine problems. The "fix" knocks down the MPG by a factor of 1 or 2, so no big loss there.

Your concern should center around maintenance costs. Since the A8 is a very low volume seller, parts for it will be significantly higher than you may be used to. If you do your own maintenance, great! If you rely on the dealer like I do, you'll need to find a good, reputable one that you can trust. I was told by a dealer that brakes for both axles (pads and rotors) would be $2600. I called another dealer who quoted $2100. Turns out all I needed was the corrosion cleaned off and they work fine!

The increase cost for parts and service is immediately forgotten every time you climb in and turn on the car. Every Time! Good Luck!
The following users liked this post:
jobbie (09-26-2023)
Old 11-29-2018, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by TinyElviss
I have tinkered with the idea of swapping my '15 4.0 for a TDI as my driving patterns will include significantly more highway miles over the next two years, so I have been researching the TDI's for a couple months.

The TDI is a great car, with virtually no engine problems. The "fix" knocks down the MPG by a factor of 1 or 2, so no big loss there.

Your concern should center around maintenance costs. Since the A8 is a very low volume seller, parts for it will be significantly higher than you may be used to. If you do your own maintenance, great! If you rely on the dealer like I do, you'll need to find a good, reputable one that you can trust. I was told by a dealer that brakes for both axles (pads and rotors) would be $2600. I called another dealer who quoted $2100. Turns out all I needed was the corrosion cleaned off and they work fine!

The increase cost for parts and service is immediately forgotten every time you climb in and turn on the car. Every Time! Good Luck!
I appreciate your post. I like to tackle maintenance and repairs myself if it's not too hard. My wife loves her 2003 Saab 9-5, a rather maintenance-intensive car, and have done a lot of work myself to include brakes, suspension, cooling system, replacing the alternator, oil changes, etc.

I took a look at availability of parts on various websites such as RockAuto for a 2014 A8L. A few parts are very expensive and/or hard to come by, such as struts, brake calipers, and window motors. Most stuff looks pretty reasonable. Brake pads and rotors are available and priced like most other cars, so your quotes for brake work of $2k seem unreasonable. It appears one can buy four rotors and two sets of pads for $400 or less on RockAuto.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi.

I got my TDI about 2 months ago and I like it more than BMW 740d and MB S350. I owned S class before, but not diesel and I think Audi is in the perfect spot between MB and BMW. Not as sporty as BMW and not as softy as MB.
Maintenance cost is the same like for every luxury sedan. If you'll go to a dealer - they will take your arms and legs, but you easily can find independent mechanic for 80% of the work your car will need. For example brake job can be done for about $200-$300 for the labor plus parts. Front rotors I found for $200 pair, rears - even less. Pads don't cost much. So for $600-$700 you can fix the same thing dealer will charge you $2K. I have the same experience with my wife's Range Rover Diesel.
If you wanna check your car passed modification - use this link and enter the VIN : https://audidiesellookup.com/
If it did not pass modification - it's even better for you. You can get the settlement money after you fix it.
I think $35K for 2014 is a little too much, even though MSRP is almost $100K. You can easily get 2014 depending on the options wit the same mileage at about $30-$32K.

Good Luck.

Last edited by aeggroup; 11-29-2018 at 08:12 AM.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hey Joel! I am in DC and yesterday bought a 2014 A8L TDI in Rockville MD. Pretty funny that you are looking for the same thing.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by tonton
Hey Joel! I am in DC and yesterday bought a 2014 A8L TDI in Rockville MD. Pretty funny that you are looking for the same thing.
Yeah, that's interesting. The one I found is at a used car lot in Reisterstown.

Do you mind sharing the price you paid and the mileage/condition?

I just got a quote with my insurance company to add an A8L. Collision coverage is really expensive!
Old 11-29-2018, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Joel_MD

I just got a quote with my insurance company to add an A8L. Collision coverage is really expensive!
I paid 34500 OTD. Insurance is about $1000/6 months full coverage. The condition is immaculate and I am really happy with my purchase. I did get a CEL with error P2201 some NOx sensor error (going back to dealer to discuss today).

Old 11-29-2018, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by tonton
I paid 34500 OTD. Insurance is about $1000/6 months full coverage. The condition is immaculate and I am really happy with my purchase. I did get a CEL with error P2201 some NOx sensor error (going back to dealer to discuss today).
Nice looking car! Did you buy at an Audi dealer?
Old 11-29-2018, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sorry mileage is 49K
Old 11-29-2018, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Nice looking car! Did you buy at an Audi dealer?
I bought it from a private used dealership.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a A8L TDI