A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at D4 W12

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Looking at D4 W12

Hey D4ers,

I'm kicking around the idea of moving from my D2 S8 to a D4 W12. I know at around 100k, the D3s start to have air suspension issues. How is the D4's air suspension holding up as it gets close to or over 100k?

The D4 seems have a pretty solid reliability record; transmission, electronics, body, etc. This would be something I'd keep for 6 -8 years. I know, since owning my S8, maintenance will be higher but driving a car I like and enjoy is worth the price of admittance and maintenance.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Old 06-02-2019, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001 S8
Hey D4ers,

I'm kicking around the idea of moving from my D2 S8 to a D4 W12. I know at around 100k, the D3s start to have air suspension issues. How is the D4's air suspension holding up as it gets close to or over 100k?

The D4 seems have a pretty solid reliability record; transmission, electronics, body, etc. This would be something I'd keep for 6 -8 years. I know, since owning my S8, maintenance will be higher but driving a car I like and enjoy is worth the price of admittance and maintenance.

Thanks in advance for any insight.
Heavy, not agile as S8, test drive it and make sure you are not making a mistake.
Old 06-02-2019, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks RM-S8. I was initially looking at a S7 or S8 but the turbo issue has caused me to pause. Maybe it's all blown out of portion on this site. My NA 4.2 engine has been rock solid and the NA W12 seems to follow that trend.

I'm just wanting something with a better (smoother) ride, new tech and more giddy-up.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001 S8
Thanks RM-S8. I was initially looking at a S7 or S8 but the turbo issue has caused me to pause. Maybe it's all blown out of portion on this site. My NA 4.2 engine has been rock solid and the NA W12 seems to follow that trend.

I'm just wanting something with a better (smoother) ride, new tech and more giddy-up.
Staying at altitude:

1. If you are going from D2 S8 to D4 W12, motor aside you will be going from SWB to LWB. Is that your intent and interest? LWB is cool in a lot of ways, but really is very, very long. As our family went empty nester, I opted to move from back from LWB D3 W12 to present SWB D4 S8.

2. S7 is more compromised room wise than SWB D4, especially in back seat in multiple ways. Not in same universe as LWB D4 back seat wise. Fit, finish and appointments are another notch up on D4's too.

3. Do you have a specific D4 W12 in mind--a real car available somewhere you like? Reason I ask is they are somewhat unicorns for D4's. Having owned the D3 W12 that was already in exotic territory as far as total built and available, D4 W12 was sold in meaningfully FEWER numbers. From tracking them for some years, most I saw were in first few years after they were first available. By 2014 or 2015 they were hardly sold. Not sure we have a single member on this board yet with a W12. On D3 board, we have probably 10 now, several among the most technically proficient of all members. As another simple metric, having seen perhaps 10 or a dozen D3 W12's on Bay Area roads over the years, I have YET to see a SINGLE D4 W12 anywhere. Tesla S's, 3's and minivans are like Atherton Chevy's here, and by comparison Masarati's abound and even occasional Ferrari's and Aston's are around occasionally.

4. If my guess about SWB is right, realize depending on year there are several SWB choices besides S8--either V6 or V8.

5. Yes, I think 4.0T concerns are somewhat overblown. Enthusiast boards have a way of doing that. Even with the (legit) questions and Audi's failure to step up and also be forthright, I consider them as more reliable in general than the long term bad news I come across not infrequently on similar era BMW V8's. 4.0T also caught both BMW and Mercedes with their pants down performance wise until they played catch up to come up with very similar hot V designs. But stepping back, if your D2 S8 is a yard stick, either 4.2 or 3.0T will outperform it. Engines aside, 5 speeds vs. 8 speeds on the tranny comparo alone seals it.

As far as your original question, I expect W12 for D4 will have mostly same typical issues as the D4 generally around the body areas, and in turn same as D3. Those are not show stoppers, and likewise not atypical of late model luxo-barges. Thus, suspension bushings, air ride at higher miles (with an asterisk not enough miles on most D4's yet to know if they are improved over D3 that is so so by 10 years/100K+ miles), some electronics and electrics, an an occasional factory misinstalled windshield as ones coming to mind quickly. What either D3 or D4 also have are generally reliable trannies. Ay you may know, D2 era 5 speed was frankly a piece of junk long term reliability wise. My long term experience and sharing on D3 W12 (which was port injection, not FSI) was motor internals were about as bulletproof as they come. Most issues are around auxiliary annoyances--sensors, some water lines, thermostat as they age, etc. Often issue seems to come back to long term heat soak from big motor stuffed in there. Cooling system is up to it (having even towed with it at up to 108F), but it puts out a lot of heat all the time.

D4 W12--if you find one--will offer loads of room, an ultra luxurious ride and feel, and instant big displacement satisfying torque. It won't be as fast as the 4.0T's, but plenty fast big picture. It will eat gas, more so if a pre 2015 where they got a nice COD set up. It will also usually come extremely well equipped with most anything you think of as an option on most luxury cars already standard. The depreciation from new is enormous--biggest % and dollar hit of any D4 probably, so as they age they can become compelling price wise as a very unusual high end sleeper ride. As usual, and especially here I would only buy with full and satisfactory records.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 06-03-2019 at 04:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Yazeedoro (12-06-2021)
Old 06-03-2019, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks MP4.2+6.0. I was hoping you would chime-in and thanks for the detailed response. Yes, I have one targeted. I'm well versed in the arena of the Audi D-bodies, and this one is not loaded but has everything I want. With growing boys the extra space in the back is helpful. I love big German sedans so an SUV, at this time, does not interest me.

I'm not to concerned about handling. As this W12 has the sport differential, and it's over a decade newer with better tech. I know there's an O2 sensor that can be a real pain ($$$) if/when it needs to be replaced. Other than that, these seem to be pretty reliable. (when bought right and not an abused case)

Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:09 PM
W12 Aficionado

Received 595 Likes on 399 Posts

I’ve been waiting to drop by and introduce myself until I have my new car all set to my liking but your post gives me good reason to reveal myself.

I’ve owned a D2 S8 and currently own a D3 W12 and about a month or two ago I bought a D4 W12.

The best thing you could do is drive one. Having owned your generation, the generation you’re looking at and the one inbetween I will say that the biggest differentiation is 1) as the generations go on the size becomes more and more noticeable while driving and 2) from the D3 to the D4 there is a clear direction shift from materials and fit/finish toward technology.

Aside from the transmission on the S8 all three D models (5k-ish miles so far on the D4) were/have been very very reliable.

My personal opinion is that the D3 is a more timeless and classic design inside and out (much like the D2) and the ergonomics and materials are better in the D3. (Both my D3 and D4 have extended leather packages.) Would I be in your shoes I would take a look at a D3 W12, even if just for kicks, while you consider the D4. While D4 W12s are a fantastic value already they still have a very long was to depreciate. I feel the D4/D3 W12s are different enough and both have big enough strong suits that it’s difficult to name one ‘better’ than the other. Particularly when the outright value is taken into consideration on the D3. Another personal note is that the D3 is a nicer evolution from the D2. The lineage is very clear. And, for me at least, seeing that lineage makes the new car all that much more enjoyable.

I undestand that was a little off-topic from your question but perhaps a little food for thought.

Last edited by 2turbos4rings; 06-07-2019 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:19 PM
W12 Aficionado

I will also mention the sport diff does make a noticeable difference (mine has it). The D3 and D2 CLEARLY have more dynamic intentions.

And if you go the D3 route with the money you save there are many cool OEM goodies you can add if you’re into that sort of thing. I’ve added almost all of them, electric folding rear table, bar compartment that holds two Audi exclusive glasses above the fridge, remote that controls the MMI from the rear seat, fax machine (haha), directional reading lights, cooled and massage rear seats, front passenger seat control from the rear seat, illuminated sills, parking heater, soo many more. You get the idea.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks for the insightful feedback 2turbos4rings. I ended up purchasing a D4 A8L with the 4.2 engine. I very excited to be getting this car. I love the fact that it has the basically the same reliable engine as my S8.

Once I get her, I'll post some pictures.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:28 AM
W12 Aficionado

Congratulations! I wish you a great ownership experience!
Old 12-06-2021, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Staying at altitude:

. My long term experience and sharing on D3 W12 (which was port injection, not FSI) was motor internals were about as bulletproof as they come. Most issues are around auxiliary annoyances--sensors, some water lines, thermostat as they age, etc. Often issue seems to come back to long term HEAT SOAK FROM BIG MOTOR STUFFED IN THERE. Cooling system is up to it (having even towed with it at up to 108F), but it puts out a lot of heat all the time.

s.
Thank you alot . This is the most important info I have been looking for in the forum for months.

This is my biggest concern , This is what i am always worry about , only the heat soak issue from big motors 😓 I used to suffer from that in my D2 A8 1995 and D2 S8 2002.

I am about to buy D4 3.0T but I'm always hesitant between D4 3.0T supercharged and the D4 W12 , both are 2013 , the 3.0T has 85k well maintained .And the W12 has 50 K miles .

My only concern is : Does the W12 motor have the same long term heat soak issue from big motors as the 4.2 FSI does ?!

What is your advice between 3.0T and W12 ?
Which one should I consider taking ? I live in Saudi Arabia , knowing that the summer months reachs 45 celsius in May , June , July and August here . And crowded roads and traffic add insult to injury to the motors in case of heat soak happens .

My concerns is regarding heat soak only . I dont care about gas or sport or high performance at all .
. I care about only heat soak and long term reliability . I am 39 years old but i drive like a grandfather because i love my care 😅

Thank u so much in advance

Quick Reply: Looking at D4 W12