A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking into getting a D4 S8 - anything to look out for?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking into getting a D4 S8 - anything to look out for?

Hi folks - it's been a long time since I've posted here in AW, but I'm thinking about getting back into an Audi and the D4 S8 is catching my eye. Anything I should look out for issue-wise? I asked over in QW but that forum is dead regarding the D4 platform.

Also - what is the torque limit of the ZF tranny used in the D4 S8?

I appreciate any input you folks can provide. I didn't see any sticky/faq posted...

Last edited by /\/\ightar; 10-29-2017 at 09:15 AM.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just like any used car, I would say buy the cleanest, lowest mileage example for the best deal.

BUT, do you want the V6 or the V8? Also, there is a wide range of options, one I wouldn't live without is the Adaptive Cruise Control. Also, what is the warranty situation, I bought a CPO. After having a few German cars beyond the warranty period I dont think I would suffer that again. Of course it goes without saying stay away from damaged, repaired cars.....also, beware all the "freshly washed " cars from Houston, Florida etc. Good luck
Old 10-29-2017, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'll be buying the warranty from USAA (full comprehensive coverage, three years).

I thought the D4 S8 was only the 4.0 twin turbo V8? I'm not looking at an A8,

Just wondering if there are specific issues to the D4 S8 in general that are known weaknesses - cooling issues? Tranny issues? Just would like to know up front. I am also seriously considering getting APR stage 2 which is why I'd like to know the max torque rating for the ZF tranny. On the surface it seems that the S8 plus doesn't use an explicitly different engine or transmission so there already be some headroom there...

TIA!
Old 10-29-2017, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Variously:

Like all D bodies since the original late 90's A8, the front suspension arms and sway bar links will be an issue over time. Bolt out bolt in type stuff for the upper arms and front bar links, and might be covered under a warranty. Read the fine print very carefully though here--a lot of warranties call them wear and tear and don't cover. Audi CPO will typically cover if the rubber shows cracking. BTDT on my D3 CPO, and my D4 S8 is also CPO.

Expect something in air ride system will start to go at/by about 100K. Most commonly a pricy front strut, sometimes a compressor (which often is a secondary issue after a leaky strut overworks it). If you won't hold car past 6 or 8 years or 80 or 90K, you may dodge the issue. Again, need to read warranty fine print here for coverage.

Some have issues with the PCV and fine oil separation on A8 or S8 4.0Ts, or other S models w/ the 4.0T. Pricy because the whole turbo system has to come out from within the V--the parts are buried under it. Likely covered under a warranty.

To me, that's about it as far as the relatively more common issues, married up w/ longest term D3 experience for suspension alongside.

I don't know what torque rating is on the tranny. High though in general, or said another way very few reports of blown trannies (or diffs) on any of the D4's (or D3's w/ prior 6 speed). Old 5 speed was crap, but that is a long time ago. Similarly, few reports of issues on heavily modded RS7's. The S7 and S6 use a sequential type box that is less robust so there are some issues reported w/ those. Also know that the ZF 8 speed comes in many different torque ratings, so you really have to get down to the three letter code for the tranny and then look it up. But again at altitude, few issues reported AFAIK. What folks do report when they break something is a half shaft, typically in back. Too few modded S8's to know, but some guys have mentioned it for RS7's or S6/S7 when doing ¼'s or ½'s and full on launch control w/ lots of mods. Audizine's combined C7 board (S6, S7, RS7) has a lot more mod posts it seems than any of the AW boards, so I'm summarizing what I have seen there. Mine is stock and frankly even pre-Plus has way more power than I can reasonably use 99%+ of time.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 10-29-2017 at 12:24 PM.
Old 10-29-2017, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

^ many thanks MP4.2+6.0! Really appreciate it. I was wondering how robust the active engine mounts are in the D4 S8 and how common those go bad. I personally haven't seen any reports.

I rarely ever go to AZ - I may have to go digging there.

Yeah, knowing the exact ZF 8sp model used would definitely help. I know ZF has published all specs on all their models in the past.

Totally agree with you regarding the power. I already knew the 4.0T was underrated by Audi, but from everything I've seen on yt and the internet in general, I didn't realize _how_ underrated it was.

Thanks again!
Old 10-29-2017, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It IS way underrated. My short wheelbase A8 4.0 hit 0-60 in 3.98 seconds. With APR stage one tune 3.66 seconds. Thank you MP4 for your usual knowledgeable response! Oh, I read OP as D4 A8, not S8. Of course S8 is V8 only.
As far as power goes this is a very quick car, my Renntech E550 was a monster but the handling left a lot to be desired, the Audi is superior in power, handling, INTERIOR!, and comfort over the E550. It makes me worry about my drivers license, I set the speed warning at 90mph, any faster I could get in serious trouble
Old 10-30-2017, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by /\/\ightar
I'll be buying the warranty from USAA (full comprehensive coverage, three years).

I thought the D4 S8 was only the 4.0 twin turbo V8? I'm not looking at an A8,

Just wondering if there are specific issues to the D4 S8 in general that are known weaknesses - cooling issues? Tranny issues? Just would like to know up front. I am also seriously considering getting APR stage 2 which is why I'd like to know the max torque rating for the ZF tranny. On the surface it seems that the S8 plus doesn't use an explicitly different engine or transmission so there already be some headroom there...

TIA!
Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Variously:

Like all D bodies since the original late 90's A8, the front suspension arms and sway bar links will be an issue over time. Bolt out bolt in type stuff for the upper arms and front bar links, and might be covered under a warranty. Read the fine print very carefully though here--a lot of warranties call them wear and tear and don't cover. Audi CPO will typically cover if the rubber shows cracking. BTDT on my D3 CPO, and my D4 S8 is also CPO.

Expect something in air ride system will start to go at/by about 100K. Most commonly a pricy front strut, sometimes a compressor (which often is a secondary issue after a leaky strut overworks it). If you won't hold car past 6 or 8 years or 80 or 90K, you may dodge the issue. Again, need to read warranty fine print here for coverage.

Some have issues with the PCV and fine oil separation on A8 or S8 4.0Ts, or other S models w/ the 4.0T. Pricy because the whole turbo system has to come out from within the V--the parts are buried under it. Likely covered under a warranty.

To me, that's about it as far as the relatively more common issues, married up w/ longest term D3 experience for suspension alongside.

I don't know what torque rating is on the tranny. High though in general, or said another way very few reports of blown trannies (or diffs) on any of the D4's (or D3's w/ prior 6 speed). Old 5 speed was crap, but that is a long time ago. Similarly, few reports of issues on heavily modded RS7's. The S7 and S6 use a sequential type box that is less robust so there are some issues reported w/ those. Also know that the ZF 8 speed comes in many different torque ratings, so you really have to get down to the three letter code for the tranny and then look it up. But again at altitude, few issues reported AFAIK. What folks do report when they break something is a half shaft, typically in back. Too few modded S8's to know, but some guys have mentioned it for RS7's or S6/S7 when doing ¼'s or ½'s and full on launch control w/ lots of mods. Audizine's combined C7 board (S6, S7, RS7) has a lot more mod posts it seems than any of the AW boards, so I'm summarizing what I have seen there. Mine is stock and frankly even pre-Plus has way more power than I can reasonably use 99%+ of time.
​​​​PVC vlave on mine went at 45k miles. Look for oil residue around oil fill cap as a sign.

Also 3 years/36k of USAA comprehensive coverage is $4100. Ouch, maybe you can get a better quote than me. I'll take my chances over 3 years on coming out of pocket over $4k.
Old 11-05-2017, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

much worse if you have a land rover, like we did. horrifyingly expensive to get an aftermarket warranty. opted to just get a new LR4 to replace the other one.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default you've got mail...

Originally Posted by /\/\ightar
Hi folks - it's been a long time since I've posted here in AW, but I'm thinking about getting back into an Audi and the D4 S8 is catching my eye. Anything I should look out for issue-wise? I asked over in QW but that forum is dead regarding the D4 platform.

Also - what is the torque limit of the ZF tranny used in the D4 S8?

I appreciate any input you folks can provide. I didn't see any sticky/faq posted...
I just sent you a PM
Old 11-06-2017, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by BTAudi
​​​​PVC vlave on mine went at 45k miles. Look for oil residue around oil fill cap as a sign.

Also 3 years/36k of USAA comprehensive coverage is $4100. Ouch, maybe you can get a better quote than me. I'll take my chances over 3 years on coming out of pocket over $4k.
My dealer tried quoting me $8k for 3 years of warranty coverage on top of my CPO. I laughed my way out of the finance office.

Quick Reply: Looking into getting a D4 S8 - anything to look out for?