AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d4-platform-discussion-190/)
-   -   Lots of warning lights on dash. (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d4-platform-discussion-190/lots-warning-lights-dash-2950273/)

niceone 05-27-2018 10:58 AM

Lots of warning lights on dash.

I have recently purchased a 2012 A8 3.0 TDi Exec Quattro. Love the car but very worried that I may have a big problem. When I turn on the ignition I get several warning symbols in the following sequence:
1. Parking Brake symbol with X across it
2. Start-Stop System: System Fault ! Function unavailable
3. Stabilisation control: (ESC/ABS):fault. See Owners Manual
4. Hill hold assist not available
5. TPMS Tyre pressure system fault
5. Air Suspension fault.

The car drives OK but I notice the suspension is rock solid and I feel every bump in the road.

I tried to attach a video showing a recording of the above, but couldn't attach MP4 file type.

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

rally 05-27-2018 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by niceone (Post 25158148)
I have recently purchased a 2012 A8 3.0 TDi Exec Quattro. Love the car but very worried that I may have a big problem. When I turn on the ignition I get several warning symbols in the following sequence:
1. Parking Brake symbol with X across it
2. Start-Stop System: System Fault ! Function unavailable
3. Stabilisation control: (ESC/ABS):fault. See Owners Manual
4. Hill hold assist not available
5. TPMS Tyre pressure system fault
5. Air Suspension fault.

The car drives OK but I notice the suspension is rock solid and I feel every bump in the road.

I tried to attach a video showing a recording of the above, but couldn't attach MP4 file type.

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Most likely battery is going dead. Under spare tire in trunk. Check the date.

niceone 05-27-2018 12:21 PM

Just took a look at battery. It's will bolted into the base of the boot so not sure how to take out. Couple of serial numbers visible from top but nothing that looks like a date.

MP4.2+6.0 05-27-2018 02:02 PM

You should scan the car with VCDS--equivalent to dealer diagnostic scanning tool. Or have a mechanic do it. Not a generic OBDII code reader to be clear, but the VW/Audi one that is comprehensive for all the modules. Without a scan it is all just guessing. More specifically, first you should can, then clear all the error codes you can, then scan again to see what is left. Some issues may resolve when you clear codes too. If it was just a one time thing; or they could later return until issue is identified and fixed.

rally 05-27-2018 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by niceone (Post 25158169)
Just took a look at battery. It's will bolted into the base of the boot so not sure how to take out. Couple of serial numbers visible from top but nothing that looks like a date.

Date must be under the bracket. It only took me a few mins to remove the bracket and confirm my 2011 battery was original and needed replacement when a similar set of lights on my dash occurred one night. The battery needs to be electronically coded for the car so if you don’t have that tool (VCDS) I would suggest asking for help. Battery runs $200+ at the dealer. Only takes 20 mins for swap and code. fwiw, my suspension was instantly rock hard when the light show started too. All went away after battery swap.

niceone 05-28-2018 08:40 AM

Thanks a million. I have booked car in for a diagnostic test and will report back.

niceone 05-28-2018 08:41 AM

Thanks a million. I have booked car in for a diagnostic test and will report back. Will ask mechanic to test battery also.

MP4.2+6.0 05-28-2018 11:53 AM

FWIW, I would probably just replace battery. At 6 years now it is probably on average about when they die. Folks get as little as 3-4--though usually longer on Audis since in trunk they are protected a lot from temp extremes--and as long as maybe 8-ish years. Once you are at a mechanic who has the VW/Audi scan tool, they can code in the new battery at same time. My rule of thumb more generally, is one unexplained incident of dead battery or suspicious electrical and it is at least on probation. Second time in next 6 months or so and it is immediately replaced. "Explained" by contrast means my/others' stupidity like leaving lights on, running screen display and blowers and such way too long while doing testing or repair work with ignition on, kids leaving tunes on as long as you can stretch it with car off, etc.

If you have in wheel TPMS sensors, at 6 years those are also likely on the verge of dying, and that is one of your codes. All of us with D3 A8's had those and lots of experience w/ the lifespans. Look at valve stems. If yours are normal black rubber you don't have the in wheel ones, which is same as here in USA that now just use the ABS sensors for most D4s. If they look like they have a hex nut type fitting on the stem and it looks metal (actually it's plastic), those are the in wheel sensors. Hopefully you can clear that code and it stays gone. But if you have those in wheel ones, given it is a 2012 I would plan to replace them by your next tire change.

niceone 05-28-2018 12:38 PM

Checked battery again and could see Battery manufacture date embossed into the negative terminal i.e. 4012. This is week 40 in 2012. This is a great forum, thanks everyone for sharing your expertise.

niceone 06-11-2018 08:36 AM

Just a quick update. I had the scan completed and it showed faulty ABS Sensor on the rear right. I replaced that sensor, ran the scan again and cleared the errors. Unfortunately the error returned. I then had battery replaced even though mechanic advised it was giving good consistent output. Unfortunately the error has re-appeared. Starting to lose my marbles on this. Appreciate and further advise this forum might have.