A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering confirmed via VCDS

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I went back today and used a very flat and level surface for another calibration. I added 10mm to the front only and left the back stock. It definitely tightens up the ride. It feels like she tracks a little better and less sway in cornering with the sacrifice of a little more rough road transfers to the driver.

It is interesting how when calibrating and setting actual measured height my front left has been consistently lower then the front right by about 9mm. For instance the measured FL is like 408mm and the FR is 417. The rears were within about 6mm of each other. If you are real careful measuring they match almost exactly after calibration is saved.

If any of your settings are exactly the same then I would fix measure correctly. It would be interesting if programmed numbers from the factory are generic. I can't imagine that would be true.

Last edited by LexusLSguy; 08-16-2017 at 04:45 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm about to lower my car, but I had a question. I always ride around in dynamic suspension mode. So since that lowers the car, what will this lowering through vcds do? Does it affect the stock height only? Meaning when I switch to dynamic it will lower even more?
Old 09-23-2017, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by MNDZA222
I'm about to lower my car, but I had a question. I always ride around in dynamic suspension mode. So since that lowers the car, what will this lowering through vcds do? Does it affect the stock height only? Meaning when I switch to dynamic it will lower even more?
It will lower the car in all modes.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by the_duke
It will lower the car in all modes.

So that means it won't go lower when switched to dynamic mode or at high speeds right? It will always stay at the height entered in the vcds?
Old 09-23-2017, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

That's not what I mean at all. When you lower it in vcds you reset the standard height. The height it's normally at when in comfort mode. Dynamic will always be lower than comfort. Someone (probably MP4.2) posted what the actual amount is that the car lowers in dynamic.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

That's not what I mean at all. When you lower it in vcds you reset the standard height. The height it's normally at when in comfort mode. Dynamic will always be lower than comfort. Someone (probably MP4.2) posted what the actual amount is that the car lowers in dynamic.

Oh ok thanks! Sorry I keep asking questions, but from what I've read, is recommended to not go lower than 17mm. If I go down there whole 17mm and then switch to dynamic, will my car be low enough to cause problems or is it ok to drop that much and use dynamic combined?
Old 09-24-2017, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The more you lower the worse she is going to ride. It will most likely lead to premature failure of your air-shocks as well. At least this has been my experience with other vehicles. It does look good but not worth
​​the sacrifice imo. I went back to stock height as I did not like the ride quality sacrifice.

Last edited by LexusLSguy; 09-24-2017 at 04:41 AM.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusLSguy
The more you lower the worse she is going to ride. It will most likely lead to premature failure of your air-shocks as well. At least this has been my experience with other vehicles. It does look good but not worth
​​the sacrifice imo. I went back to stock height as I did not like the ride quality sacrifice.
+1. On D3 I found once you went beyond 10mm, you could feel the ride deterioration--to the point where sport/dynamic got uncomfortable on other than very well paved roads. And yep, w/ D3 air strut failures becoming common place, I wonder about the relationship to drop modding. $1400-1700 a piece for the dealer ones, and failure rates on rebuilts are probably 20-50% even at ⅓ to ½ the dealer price.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Correct. VCDS mod resets the baseline height, and then all the drops and raising specs go up or down relative to that baseline. The setting is not a lower bound height setting.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusLSguy
On my S8 D4, I originally lowered it 15mm but it was too harsh for my taste even in comfort mode.

I'm currently sitting at 11mm lowered and it's a nice ride, but I still remain in comfort mode

Quick Reply: Lowering confirmed via VCDS