A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loyal Audi customer just got F○€ked!!

Old 05-13-2019, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should read my last thread about my S8. My car had 17,800 miles and I had a few weeks of warranty left and Audi had no idea why it wasn’t running.

Scared me straight. Straight to Lexus.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by tx170754
As one who retired from a very well known US OEM corporation in which, most of my time was spent in world wide supplier quality, I can tell you that the turbo Audi supplier royally screed up their PV@V program related to these turbos, it wouldn’t surprise me if that supplier or that part of their business, is now history. Audi Supply Management and Supplier Quality folks are probably working long hours to fix this since if it escalates out of proportion it may cost them a lot of money...and not only this....
1. What's a "PV@V"?

2. If you read through the 4.0T issues/failure thread and look at the Audi TSB, the problem is not in the turbo assembly. Thus, symptom, not issue. Expensive one, but again result not underlying cause in tracing the failure chain. The issue appears to be the fine filter screen in the cylinder head related check/antidrainback valves. Occasionally may also be an oil maintenance issue and/or snapped plastic in the oil filter assembly, though those lines of thinking have been fading. The key part in question is apparently is in the same oil circulation circuit as the turbo bearings, though not a lot of info about that either. Classic lowly o ring brings down the space shuttle stuff. The part involved was the same one used in the 4.2 normally aspirated FSI motor. That is squarely on Audi engine design and parts spec'ing, not some external supplier. My conjecture is they just glued the turbo oil circulation function off of that N.A. FSI system, since those parts are physically in the engine V (valley) right below the turbo assembly. Perhaps yet another reason Audi is hiding on the issue--no obvious supplier to try to nail for a warranty/recall bill back--and their fingerprints right down to the part # used on the normally aspirated direct predecessor motor.

3. During the era, the oil spec also effectively changed from 502 to 504--except the design engineering and home market experience are where 504 oils are common (Europe). But we are here on a USA board where most all the dealer service is with 502 oils that Audi specs as acceptable. Unclear if this is also contributing to the issue.

If by chance you mean Eaton, those turbo issues (that I know of) were early millennium 2.7T where owners also chipped the hell out of them and then with a straight face tried to do the 'aw shucks' routine. Led to better locking down of the ECU's--both physically and with software check bit stuff. And indeed, I think Audi tried to stuff a billback on them. Those are the last Audi turbos I think of as having a dubious reputation; doesn't come up much with the 2.0T's that I know of and 3.0T was supercharged until just recently. Old RS6 was a one off super high strung short lived R design. Hot V set up is new and very much on Audi AFAIK. Also caught both Merc and BMW with their pants down on motor design and specific output, who rushed to catch up.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 05-14-2019 at 09:22 PM. Reason: duplicate
Old 05-14-2019, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Ok ,I’m in Europe right now but PV&V means Product Verification and Validation I will explain to you when I’m coming back how these programs works since our suppliers were the same as Audi, BMW, Mercedes and so on...but bottom line if Audi picked up some turbos from the “shelves” they should have done a complete PV&V in order to validate their specific A8 configuration including oil screen, different oils, different temperature conditions etc. etc. I would be surprised if Audi just “glued the turbo oil circulation” as you mentioned since these programs are common practice, at least in US and Germany too. One thing I can tell you for sure is that folks from Audi, and eventually suppliers, are working long hours right now to fix this serious problem, cutting corners in this extremely competitive business is not an option and Audi executives are very well aware of it.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tx170754
Ok ,I’m in Europe right now but PV&V means Product Verification and Validation I will explain to you when I’m coming back how these programs works since our suppliers were the same as Audi, BMW, Mercedes and so on...but bottom line if Audi picked up some turbos from the “shelves” they should have done a complete PV&V in order to validate their specific A8 configuration including oil screen, different oils, different temperature conditions etc. etc. I would be surprised if Audi just “glued the turbo oil circulation” as you mentioned since these programs are common practice, at least in US and Germany too. One thing I can tell you for sure is that folks from Audi, and eventually suppliers, are working long hours right now to fix this serious problem, cutting corners in this extremely competitive business is not an option and Audi executives are very well aware of it.
Really makes not difference, this has contributed to them losing me as a customer.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by dadifatsacs
Spoke with Audi service rep and he said himself that both turbos should not have went. I don't drive it at all except for long highway trips or when I had to drive to work. No track racing, hard corners or and definetly kept up on the maintenance.. hell ...my service is due in 500 miles and Audi said I should've hit that number 3 months ago. That's how rare I drive it. My personal mechanic says he can probably rebuild them or get pretty good used ones but I'm like "**** that... I'm done with Audi" after this one!
I don't blame you from being soured on the brand after this. My bet is that this a simple issue that has caused a huge problem. I remember supercharging my GTO with a Vortec supercharger and they had in-line oil screens, Over time they can get plugged. The screens need to be watched closely. I warned the guy I sold by GTO too about the need to service the screen regularly. He ignored me and it cooked he supercharger (oil starvation),
Old 05-15-2019, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by RED HORSE
Really makes not difference, this has contributed to them losing me as a customer.
In all fairness though, VW Group did not really lose you as a customer since they still collected your hard-earned money on a Porsche. But I totally understand what you're saying as I had to go through the gas tank process as well and now have the turbo issue my mind.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AugustHorch
In all fairness though, VW Group did not really lose you as a customer since they still collected your hard-earned money on a Porsche. But I totally understand what you're saying as I had to go through the gas tank process as well and now have the turbo issue my mind.
True, but my dealer also sells Audi. I had my Cayenne in for service this week and the service writer who I've worked with for years said "be glad you don't have an Audi."
Old 05-23-2019, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'd think twice before being done with Audi. Maybe the CS sucks, but you won't find better cars for your money. Turbo failures happen across the entire range of German cars - usually oiling issues necessitating bearings replaced. After owning two S classes (07 S550, 2010 S600), two 7 series (2009 750Li, 2014 750li) and now on my second A8 (2014 A8 TDI, current 2015 A8L 3.0T) I can tell you from experience that you're still ahead of the game. Think about dealer prices vs. the real word: spark plugs from Audi? $25/ea. From the real world? $13/ea. So it's no surprise that they are quoting you something completely outlandish for turbos. Your mechanic was right, both turbos should not have gone out unless you're having sump issues or there was sludge that your minimal driving dislodged. Either way, stay with Audi if you want a giant German saloon because the other manufacturers just don't deliver what VAG can.

Just get the turbos replaced (either rebuilt or replaced with used, warrantied parts) and go on with life. There is no greener grass in Deutschland.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default A5 blown at 52k miles - dealer is useless, AoA has head in the sand.

I guess I found the right thread... My A5 2.0T blew up 3 weeks ago at 52k miles. The dealer's voice mail said $11k because they found metal in the oil pan. The car has been sitting at Audi Burlington (MA), and their only interest is to have me tow the car away because they're running out of space. I opened a ticket at AoA and have heard crickets. Bottom line, both AoA and the dealer start off by demonizing your service history. In my case I bought the car used yet they expected me to find the service history for the three years I didn't own the car. Which I did. Then the 35k wasn't done by the dealer, so that's the next level of hassle. Bottom line, I haven't even received so much as a courtesy call from AoAo and the car has been sitting at the dealer since then. No one will answer the basic question: If I have regular oil changes and have followed the service guidelines, an Audi with 52k miles shouldn't blow up - so what did I miss in my service history that would have caused this? And what would that missed service appointment have discovered to avoid a blown engine?

I'm giving AoA one last chance to make good for a loyal customer - 6 Audis since the 80's, including the TT that blew on the timing chain incident. After they fail, I'll have it towed and repaired by my local guy in Acton MA who does excellent work. But he's having trouble finding a CPMA engine - "these engines are a dog and piling up recalls faster than sh*t through a goose" were his words according to his network.

Speaking of the timing chain class action suit, Carella-Byrne was the plaintiffs' law firm. I spoke to the lead attorney there last week and she took all my info. I recommend you get on a list for the inevitable class action suit that will be coming down. Ask for Caroline when you call, she was very helpful.

Bottom line, AoA can do the smart thing and replace the engine (I'm guessing their cost isn't $11k). Or they can pay an estimated $800k in soft costs - the four to six Audis that I won't be buying over the next 30 years, the Twitter storm to my 10k followers, and if I'm not mistaken they're still sponsors of Head of the Charles in Boston where I'm part of the organization. Maybe it's time to rethink that affiliation.

Good luck to us...
Old 05-29-2019, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Spot on. I wish you luck, and again, I'm glad I'm back in a Porsche.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Loyal Audi customer just got F○€ked!!