A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Macan to A8, bittersweet

Old 03-01-2017, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Audis or VWs 4Life
I miss the TMC accuracy and formatting mainly. Nav is crap in comparison. Also the way audi handled music was much better then porsche. Though I think they are now at parity on the music side in the 991.2.
I might even say Porsche is ahead (for my limited wants) in music. My wife has a '16 Cayenne, same as your head unit, the 911 and the Macan have the new gen. The touch screen with larger scrollable (iPhone style swiping, proximity sensor to bring up other controls when you finger nears bottom of screen) pages is definitely a big improvement.

Originally Posted by Audis or VWs 4Life
Phone vs, Phone, I would say its even maybe slight edge to Porsche there because you have buttons to specifically hang up or answer.
Agree there, Porsche worked better for what I wanted to do with phone, could just hit recent calls on big touch screen, my wife was almost always the first call, and tap it, and then use steering wheel to hang up.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in the same boat...have toddlers and need a usable back seat. That's why I'm looking for an A8L. I hate having to use my wife's SUV every time I need to have the kids with me on a road trip.

Best,
Old 03-02-2017, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

Hammerli, I had a base Macan loaner a few days ago when I had my wife's Cayenne S in for service. I made a point of driving all sorts of roads, and I was impressed. I then walked thru the lot and picked up a brochure, and I gravitated to the GTS, so I'm glad to hear your impression.

My wife has mentioned that she may be interested in a Macan, and that could affect my future ride choices. To wit, when I put together the build for her Cayenne, it was in the back of my mind that I would inherit it, so I built it my way: the "S" with the V8, sports exhaust, and a few other things. It was kind of funny because I hadn't planned on ever mentioning the fact that it had sports exhaust, and my plan was that I would simply engage it when I was alone. As it turns out, it always starts up in the engaged --think NASTAR--mode and holds it for a few seconds. Wife not thrilled; thank God she doesn't know how much it cost!

The Cayenne is not in the same league with my D3 A8 on the road, but it's an equal in a lot of things, and I would be happy with it. The only other car on my radar is a D4 S8, with sports exhaust, of course, but that could wait if I end up in the Cayenne. Mike
Old 03-02-2017, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike911A8
Hammerli, I had a base Macan loaner a few days ago when I had my wife's Cayenne S in for service. I made a point of driving all sorts of roads, and I was impressed. I then walked thru the lot and picked up a brochure, and I gravitated to the GTS, so I'm glad to hear your impression.

My wife has mentioned that she may be interested in a Macan, and that could affect my future ride choices. To wit, when I put together the build for her Cayenne, it was in the back of my mind that I would inherit it, so I built it my way: the "S" with the V8, sports exhaust, and a few other things. It was kind of funny because I hadn't planned on ever mentioning the fact that it had sports exhaust, and my plan was that I would simply engage it when I was alone. As it turns out, it always starts up in the engaged --think NASTAR--mode and holds it for a few seconds. Wife not thrilled; thank God she doesn't know how much it cost!

The Cayenne is not in the same league with my D3 A8 on the road, but it's an equal in a lot of things, and I would be happy with it. The only other car on my radar is a D4 S8, with sports exhaust, of course, but that could wait if I end up in the Cayenne. Mike
Sounds to me like there's a Cayenne s in your future, that doesn't suck! I considered one back in 2010 but all the forums that I read said that they burned oil, which Porsche claimed was normal but I found unacceptable. I recently was in the market for a car for my Florida condo and considered the Cayenne. Was out in Pembroke Pines shopping the dealerships and never made it out of Pines Audi and a new 2016 s8 plus at a big discount. The s8 had been on my short list as a cpo along with the Mercedes e43, Mercedes wouldn't discount the e43 so I went with the s8 plus. It is an absolute beast. Happy hunting. Regards. Ned.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

Ned, when I was on the dealer's lot after dropping off the Macan loaner, I also noticed a new S8 plus with a MSRP of over $150,000 listed at $132,000. It had been on the lot for a few months. So I may have a third option. I had actually run an S8 plus on the configuration ap, without many options except the upgraded interior, and with the same sort of write down noted above, I might be able to get under $100,000 on a build. The stars could align before the D5 is released.

I hate to spend that kind of money on a new car because I spread my mileage over too many cars as it is, but on the other hand, I keep my cars for a longtime, and you can't take it with you. Also, I noticed the S8 has GVW rating which may entitle it to certain tax treatment if I can thread the needle. I'll bring that up with my CPA in a few weeks, so who knows.

Also, my wife doesn't know I had the Macan loaner, nor has she ever driven one, so maybe she'll live happily ever after in her Cayenne. Mike
Old 03-02-2017, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really did enjoy the Macan, it did not ride like an SUV, and driving them back to back, I really felt like I was riding "on" the Cayenne, while riding "in" the Macan. I had the 18 way seats, and they were made for me I think. I am certain I could have made the Macan work had we stopped at one kid, and I would have been happy with it for a very long time. I do miss the handling on the off ramps, and just have to remind myself that I have other cars for that.

I concur. We have been pleased with the Cayenne, no oil burning in first 13K to address Ned's point (ours is 2016, not same gen he looked at), and while I tried hard to convince my wife to get the GTS, ours is a well optioned base, and I must admit that was the right choice. The Macan GTS had the nice tone at start up from the sport exhaust, and I do miss the aggressive sound when the valves opened getting on it. Some days wish the A8 had more audible exhaust, but I understand why it doesn't and besides, my Hellcat and ZL1 are unrivaled when it comes to bark at start up, makes the C4S seem like a family car in comparison.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ned, when I was on the dealer's lot after dropping off the Macan loaner, I also noticed a new S8 plus with a MSRP of over $150,000 listed at $132,000. It had been on the lot for a few months. So I may have a third option. I had actually run an S8 plus on the configuration ap, without many options except the upgraded interior, and with the same sort of write down noted above, I might be able to get under $100,000 on a build. The stars could align before the D5 is released.

I hate to spend that kind of money on a new car because I spread my mileage over too many cars as it is, but on the other hand, I keep my cars for a longtime, and you can't take it with you. Also, I noticed the S8 has GVW rating which may entitle it to certain tax treatment if I can thread the needle. I'll bring that up with my CPA in a few weeks, so who knows.

Also, my wife doesn't know I had the Macan loaner, nor has she ever driven one, so maybe she'll live happily ever after in her Cayenne. Mike
My s8 is just about fully loaded except the night vision option. The B&O stereo is a complete waste of money, even the standard interior is super nice but I do like the black seats with red stitching and copper fiber in the carbon fiber inlays, but at the end of the day, unnecessary. The black optic package, once again nice but a silly luxury. The only options that might be useful are the dynamic package for throatier exhaust and ceramic brakes, but pricey at $11,000 and the safety package for blind spot detection, etc. and the cold weather package for heated seats. Technology in car a bit long in tooth if that matters much but the power in a car that big is awesome and the handling and ride are great as well, blows away Mercedes s class. Most regular stuff functions well enough and the interior is gorgeous and comfortable and that will never change. But end of model run means one should get a nice discount and depreciation will suck. Regards. Ned.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Hammerli
I really did enjoy the Macan, it did not ride like an SUV, and driving them back to back, I really felt like I was riding "on" the Cayenne, while riding "in" the Macan. I had the 18 way seats, and they were made for me I think. I am certain I could have made the Macan work had we stopped at one kid, and I would have been happy with it for a very long time. I do miss the handling on the off ramps, and just have to remind myself that I have other cars for that.

I concur. We have been pleased with the Cayenne, no oil burning in first 13K to address Ned's point (ours is 2016, not same gen he looked at), and while I tried hard to convince my wife to get the GTS, ours is a well optioned base, and I must admit that was the right choice. The Macan GTS had the nice tone at start up from the sport exhaust, and I do miss the aggressive sound when the valves opened getting on it. Some days wish the A8 had more audible exhaust, but I understand why it doesn't and besides, my Hellcat and ZL1 are unrivaled when it comes to bark at start up, makes the C4S seem like a family car in comparison.
They fixed the oil thing in newer models. I always found it humorous that Porsche owners accepted burning oil as a badge of honor back in the day, as if all performance cars burned oil and if you didn't you just weren't driving a true performance car. Regards. Ned.
Old 03-05-2017, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Welcome...I also traded out my Macan S (for the exact same reason you did) and got the S8. Infant seats in the Macan were a joke to front seat passengers. The S8 takes the infant seat with no threat to driver or passenger, so went with it over the A8. We have similar taste in cars! Considering a Cayenne or Q7 for the wife at some point....and have a 993 and Cayman S for the weekends. FWIW....I have the exact same noise and wondered what the hell it was until I read this post....glad to know I am not alone
Old 03-05-2017, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Karrera4
Welcome...I also traded out my Macan S (for the exact same reason you did) and got the S8. Infant seats in the Macan were a joke to front seat passengers. The S8 takes the infant seat with no threat to driver or passenger, so went with it over the A8. We have similar taste in cars! Considering a Cayenne or Q7 for the wife at some point....and have a 993 and Cayman S for the weekends. FWIW....I have the exact same noise and wondered what the hell it was until I read this post....glad to know I am not alone

I find this thread to be very interesting because I've been thinking of making the complete opposite move to a Macan GTS. My hesitancy is the lack of room however. My kids are a bit older - elementary school age - so car seats aren't an issue. We also have a Q7 that serves as family hauler. My question to you and Hamerli is if it weren't for the baby seats, would you have stayed with what you had or are you happier in your S8 / A8L? I assume the Audis are much better equipped for the money vs the Porsche.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Macan to A8, bittersweet