A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Macan to A8, bittersweet

Old 03-08-2017, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngerstman
Boy we are off topic, but did any of you Macan owners compare it to the Audi Q5, that seems to be a better value proposition and also handles and drives more like a sports sedan. Thanks. Regards. Ned.
Laughing, and agree it is getting far afield vehicle choice wise. Q5 is fine, but not remotely in same league as S8 or D4's in general. Own em both. Took to Q5 to 130 on Autobahnen and boy was that a handful on even slightest sweeper designed for full on speeds. Sport riding lawnmower maybe comparatively. Nice vibration to entire hood too from the relative aero brick by about 115-120. It was somewhere in the 110-120 range where the true SUV nature becomes very clear. S8 (and probably all D4's) also eats all this tall SUV stuff for lunch--any brand--up in the mountain sweepers at speed. U.S. speeds. I see 'em in rear view--as they go white knuckle into the curves and then drop back by lots of MPH's.

But, whole different price point. Given first gen A5 underpinnings much less refined interior showing its age more than D4. Competitive at that price though at least a few years back. New Q5 already announced will change that balance again, including against Macan at margin. The price point and manageable size (close to A6 dimensions in general) does move a whole lot of them. See how new design, new body, and brand new Mexico plant and workforce works for 'em though. Not getting in line for first year or two of that show. Gen 2 Q7 too big for our needs, but has the up to date refinements beyond D4...until D5 leapfrogs that. Yet to come Q8 might be the best comparo to cross over from this board, but so far still vaporware and quasi concept show cars. Still not going to be same handling league as a true sports sedan/coupe, no matter how lipsticked up and how many electronic aids.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 03-08-2017 at 08:15 AM.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you guys comment further on the B&O vs Burmester differences - Hammerli says "The Burmester in the Macan made the B&O just look bad, no comparison there,..."

I had a D3 S8 with B&O and it was the finest car stereo I ever heard for my tastes -- clear highs and mids, tight, not overwhelming bass and able to hit high volume without distortion. I listen to a lot of rock and alt-country music and particularly like how B&O sounded with female vocalists. No comparison to B&O in my allroad or q5 (in either price or quality).

I'm now thinking a Macan with Burmester - but can't locate a local one to try out - its a rare build. Any input you guys can provide would be helpful. I understand that "ears" are pretty personal but would still like to know what you think on SQ and volume (including road noise at speed impacting stereo).

Thanks

Last edited by daf999999; 04-23-2017 at 07:56 AM.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by daf999999
Can you guys comment further on the B&O vs Burmester differences - Hammerli says "The Burmester in the Macan made the B&O just look bad, no comparison there,..."

I had a D3 S8 with B&O and it was the finest car stereo I ever heard for my tastes -- clear highs and mids, tight, not overwhelming bass and able to hit high volume without distortion. I listen to a lot of rock and alt-country music and particularly like how B&O sounded with female vocalists. No comparison to B&O in my allroad or q5 (in either price or quality).

I'm now thinking a Macan with Burmester - but can't locate a local one to try out - its a rare build. Any input you guys can provide would be helpful. I understand that "ears" are pretty personal but would still like to know what you think on SQ and volume (including road noise at speed impacting stereo).

Thanks
Picked up a new Macan last month we ordered in Jan for the wife. Got the Burmester and it's the best sounding factory sound system my wife and I have ever heard. In addition to decent drivers and power it seems to have some sound processing tricks to go along with it.

I have the B&O in my Audi but it's not a D4 so I can't comment on those differences however I can say that while my B&O can get pretty loud with little distortion it doesn't have near the clarity of my wife's Burmester.

YMMV,
Nels
Old 05-10-2017, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Nels - thanks for the input -- which audi (model/year) do you have that includes B&O. I ask because the systems are far different depending on model - the B&O in my B8 Allroad is fine; the one in my prior D3 S8 was incredible - and the price difference between the two was HUGE!

thanks
Old 05-10-2017, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by daf999999
Nels - thanks for the input -- which audi (model/year) do you have that includes B&O. I ask because the systems are far different depending on model - the B&O in my B8 Allroad is fine; the one in my prior D3 S8 was incredible - and the price difference between the two was HUGE!

thanks
2012 R8 Spyder.