A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MMI to USB adapter for Samsung Galaxy

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xradman
Thank you for your insight. But I think that demographic is going to change going forward. I've been a loyal iPhone owner from day 1, but it's becoming clearer to me that S4 is a better phone for the money. I think the smart phone market is becoming analogous to PC market, where Android will dominate like Windows and iPhone will cling to diehards like Macs. I am making a jump to Samsung Galaxy S4 as soon as 32GB models become available and abandoning my iPhone. I'm sure I'm not going to be the only upper demographic user that is going to do the same.
I'm with you in thinking that the S4 is very enticing. My concern is that the major luxury car manufacturers won't give first class treatment to the S4 until its numbers are at least half that of the iPhone. Or, Google would need to enforce a standard interface for Android devices to reduce development costs on the part of the manufacturers. While the number of Android phones trounces iOS, the number of S4 or even S3 + S4 doesn't come close.

Another thing I'm curious about is how Android is going to counter "Siri Eyes Free." If Google has its own version, and HTC has its own version and Samsung has its own, and Facebook, and Baidu, and Twitter... Again, that fragmentation is going to hurt.

I can see how Samsung's S* line may come to dominate (i.e. have such a large market share that manufacturers simply must pay attention to it). It's a totally different thing to say that "Android" will dominate. There are several hundred versions of Linux, but Linux will never dominate the desktop market because an application that runs well on Puppy Linux may not run at all on Fedora Linux, which may act weird on SuSe Linux or not have drivers for Ubuntu Linux. So, while there are a lot of Linux users, the fragmentation means that each variant has a tiny market and few companies care enough to write applications for all the small pockets of 5000 to 75,000 users. If you're lucky, you get support for the big ones like Ubuntu, RedHat and SuSe.

Windows has an advantage because you can write one application and have 500 million potential customers. That compares more favorably to iOS on iPhone/iPad than Android.

I'm curious of your opinions on Windows 8 and Windows Blue (8.1?). If businesses also begin to shift to tablets, and Windows RT/Windows 8 on tablets doesn't take off, Android will kill Windows long before it seriously threatens iOS.

I spend a lot of time trying to figure out how this will play out, and you seem "smarter than the average bear". Seriously, I'd love to know your opinion...buy you a beer if you're in the Bay Area...
Old 04-29-2013, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wilfred2k5
I'm curious of your opinions on Windows 8 and Windows Blue (8.1?). If businesses also begin to shift to tablets, and Windows RT/Windows 8 on tablets doesn't take off, Android will kill Windows long before it seriously threatens iOS.

I spend a lot of time trying to figure out how this will play out, and you seem "smarter than the average bear". Seriously, I'd love to know your opinion...buy you a beer if you're in the Bay Area...
I love Windows 7. It's a perfect OS for me and very stable. I can go for months without rebooting and with SSD, I can boot in ~10 sec. I don't like the interface for Windows 8 and I don't have any intention of upgrading the OS. Should I purchase a new laptop or PC, I think I will swap out the OS for Windows 7. I know this is not what MS wants to hear, but that's my take on it.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe that's beside the point. The issue is that nearly all iPhone owners within the appropriate age group are in the market for luxury cars. Android is more common, and will only become more common, but its typical users are unwilling to pay for apps and, though this may be changing, are far less likely to see high-end luxury cars as a worthwhile value proposition.
A lot has changed in a year. Android accounted for 85% of smartphone sales in 2013. I'm involved in CRM for financial companies, many longtime iPhone users have switched to Android (mostly Galaxy S4's). These people are in the demographic you are describing.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by dsteinschneider
A lot has changed in a year. Android accounted for 85% of smartphone sales in 2013. I'm involved in CRM for financial companies, many longtime iPhone users have switched to Android (mostly Galaxy S4's). These people are in the demographic you are describing.
Not wishing to get into an ios vs Android debate here, however, while 2012 Q4 reports show Android with 70.1% share globally, In the U.S., Apple share of smartphone sales in Q4 was 41.8% up from 40.6% (Android at 51.5%, down from 51.2%). I'm not sure where you got your data that "many longtime iPhone users have switched to Android, mostly S4s". While It's likely both formats have had some users that switched, other than a claim by Google's Eric Schmidt that "many of his friends" are switching to Android, I've not seen data to support that statement.

Apple has never desired to play in the entry level end of the smartphone price points as do Android phone manufacturers, especially desirable in emerging markets, so it's doubtful ios will ever grow significant share. However, so long as iPhone sales continue to grow, I don't see Apple being too concerned about share any more than they have in the past, just the stuff you can take to the bank, which of course is profits.

Bottom line re Audi owners, I would guess that the higher end of the Android offerings and iPhones would both fit the demographic.

Last edited by snagitseven; 02-10-2014 at 04:28 AM.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Question

I believe that's beside the point. The issue is that nearly all iPhone owners within the appropriate age group are in the market for luxury cars. Android is more common, and will only become more common, but its typical users are unwilling to pay for apps and, though this may be changing, are far less likely to see high-end luxury cars as a worthwhile value proposition.

I would easily accept that the percentage of Nordstrom/Neiman Marcus shoppers who carry iPhones is at least 80%, approaching the low nineties. I would suspect that at least 60% of JC Penney shoppers carry Android phones

From InvestorPlace: "The average U.S. Mercedes-Benz owner has an income of about $175,000, and 28% of them have a four-year college degree. A 2011 Hunch poll of 15,818 users turned up some interesting clues in the Android vs. iPhone demographics. According to its results, an iPhone owner is 67% more likely to have a $200,000-plus annual household income and 37% more likely to have a graduate degree than someone who owns an Android smartphone."

If I were trying to sell an S class, I would do everything I could to suck up to the iPhone ecosystem, which is exactly what Audi, BMW and Mercedes are doing. Yes, there are a lot more Android users, but if they can't afford my product, it doesn't matter to me. Worse, any incremental effort I can put into the iPhone market is far more likely to get me that next sale than spending a much larger amount to get my Android support up to par. This means Android will continue to lag in features until the target audience more closely identifies with Android, even if there are 10x more Android phones.

Further, while the number of iPhone models is extremely small and I only need to work with one company to get a huge number of potential auto purchasers, the number of Android models is very large, with many OS versions, connectors and feature sets, spread amongst a monstrous number of manufacturers. This is called platform fragmentation. I would be afraid to say "works with Android" only to find that my customer's particular model of phone actually doesn't work well and now I'm being sued or forced to buy back a new car for breech of contract.

I say this as a member of the mobile development community, where nearly all Android contract app development is for free/social applications because (a) it's impossible to test your app on every Android model, (b) piracy of paid apps is near instantaneous, (c) very few Android users buy apps and (d) even with other business models, Android users are difficult to make money from since the Android target demographic tends to be poorer bargain hunters.

I develop for iOS, Android, WP8 and Blackberry, amongst others, so I don't have a horse in this race, and I'm not a fanboy. I'm just trying to provide insight. Depending on how Microsoft plays it, you may see a tightly-integrated WP8 AMI implementation sooner than an Android one. Maybe enough S4's will sell and Audi will invest in doing something special for Samsung...
Still stand behind your opinions above?

https://www.audiworld.com/articles/a...vehicles-2015/
Old 06-27-2014, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

There's no problem with supporting both.

http://www.opptrends.com/2014/06/aud...-android-auto/

http://www.caradvice.com.au/293074/a...to-audi-honda/

http://blogs.computerworld.com/ios/2...-apple-carplay

Last edited by rodster111; 06-27-2014 at 06:51 AM.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Exclamation

I totally agree. The previous poster was insinuating that market share didn't have as much weight as demographics for people in the bracket to buy Audis or comparable vehicles. That outlook wasn't a very good one.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, a lot has changed in the year since the OP.

The bottom line is nobody really cares except the so-called 'fanboys' who attempt to enrage these discussions.

What matters to A8 buyers and owners, at least in this forum, is whether they can plug their device in and use it.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Any forward-thinking carmaker would embrace all platforms. If the aftermarket can do the things it does in todays world in accommodating "niche" activities, a global leviathan should be able to as well. As an IOS user, I was a little concerned when it seemed to take so long for Audi to make any statements about future support for IOS when they were pretty active about publishing their Android support, but they came through in the end. Any company that doesn't provide broad support puts themselves at a competitive disadvantage, regardless of what pundits with cherry-picked data suggest.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Doesn't the android stream music via Bluetooth. I have an iPhone but never plug it into the MMI cable. It is a real hassle, I just keep my phone in my pocket. I have an old iPod I leave plugged into the MMI and it works great. I am pretty sure you could find a used one on eBay for less than $100. I realize it doesn't answer your real question but I would guess all manufactures will be focusing on Bluetooth going forward vs. a having to plug in a device. My real question is why the Kia rental car I had would show album art on the stereo display via Bluetooth but my $100k Audi won't.

Quick Reply: MMI to USB adapter for Samsung Galaxy