A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More vibration questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default More vibration questions

I feel the vibrations. You know, the ones from the Audi TSB 27 that has been discussed all over this message board. Does anyone know if Audi will cover this since it's a known issue that I think (it's my understanding from the threads, maybe I'm wrong) is related to having the keys reprogrammed even if the vehicle is not under warranty? I recently purchased my vehicle used and it came with 1 key. I negotiated the other key in the sale but it still needs to be programmed. I'm concerned it's going to make it worse. I'm also concerned it will cost a fortune to change the down pipes if Audi will not cover it. Anyone have any experience or thoughts on this?

I want to thank everyone who has helped answer my undoubtedly painful to answer questions so far. It's been a huge help. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

A vibration related to keys being reprogrammed? I do not see how that could ever be. If you are having vibrations at the specified RPM from the downpipes, it will depend on the dealer whether or not they will cover it out of warranty, and also it matters how far outside of warranty you are.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack88
A vibration related to keys being reprogrammed? I do not see how that could ever be. If you are having vibrations at the specified RPM from the downpipes, it will depend on the dealer whether or not they will cover it out of warranty, and also it matters how far outside of warranty you are.
The downpipe thread does say the root cause is from having the keys reprogrammed. Re-read it, that's what it says. Not sure that's the cause, but I do have to wonder how the original driver of my A8 tolerated the vibration for 35K miles.
Old 12-22-2016, 03:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jack88
supposedly that messes with the active engine mounts settings. This may have been what Audi originally attributed this to before finding the real reason. Either way, has anyone had to pay for this out of warranty?
Old 12-22-2016, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Parts cost to replace the down pipes is about $1200. Labor shouldn't be too bad. I suspect you could have it done for around $2k.
Old 12-23-2016, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

How about installing aftermarket downpipes like apr? You get a bit more performance at the same time but does anyone think itll get rid of the vibration? Personally, im tuned (worth every penny) since my warranty expired about 2K ago on my 2013 A8L 4.0. I just dont know how id feel about installing downpipes. I dont want to make the car loud. Its not a luxury car, not one id want to be that much louder.
Old 12-27-2016, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

They replace the downpipes along with re-programming the active engine mounts. Vibration was pretty bad in mine. When I got it back after the TSB was performed it's now smooth as silk. I don't know if APR downpipes would fix the vibration. I can't see where they would make much difference in how loud your car is either. Sound dampening is happening in the resonators and mufflers not the downpipes.
Old 12-27-2016, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Audi covered my reprogramming and down-pipe. mine was 2014 A8L 4.0T. Vehicle was still under original warranty. made all the difference.
Old 12-27-2016, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Audi covered my reprogramming and down-pipe. mine was 2014 A8L 4.0T. Vehicle was still under original warranty. made all the difference.
Old 12-27-2016, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone had this happen who was an original purchaser? I'm curious if it's truly due to the key reprogramming. I can't imagine the original owner of my car would have dealt with the vibration paying nearly $97K new for my car...

Quick Reply: More vibration questions