A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Most expensive milkshake ever...

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Most expensive milkshake ever...

I made the mistake of going through a drive-thru. Attendant at the window passed me a milkshake with the lid not quite on. I got a lap full of shake, but worse...considerable amounts went on to the center console and steering wheel.

Short story: $10K repair bill. GEICO is awesome (paid the dealer on the spot). 3 week wait for parts from Germany. I got two DIS faults saying "Transmission malfunction: You may continue driving" while trying to shift into gear. Found out the hard way that there's no way to start/stop the car if the start/stop button is gunked up. The heated/ventilated perforated leather seats are pretty much impossible to clean if something gets in there, though there is a pad that can be removed/replaced.

I've almost always gone in and used the trunk bag holders for take out food, while drinks sit on the floor in back. My cupholders are actually an iPhone and key holder because I don't want liquid that close to the center MMI console. But I got lazy and went to a drive-thru and...OUCH!

With the $500 comprehensive deductible and possibility that my rates will go up/insurance will be cancelled, this is the most expensive milkshake ever. I can literally buy a Kia for the repair bill.

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!

Also found out that the Audi cupholders are an afterthought since the European market doesn't have them(?) Autobahn drivers do not keep a frosty beverage with them while driving 130MPH. I don't care too much about the cupholders either, but that's entirely too much damage. I'm betting that in my old Mazda 626, I could've wiped it down without any problems.

Part of luxury is not being in fear that any little thing can be a five figure repair bill.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

WOW. Sorry to hear that.

Never ever going through a drive through again after hearing this.
Already had a close call once with a Coke like that.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spilled something on the MMI controller in my 2005 D3 and it cost $800 to replace the part. The dealer said the same thing that the drink holders aren't in a european model, so they didnt design the system to have drinks right next to these controls. I was hoping (because I'm planning on a D4 soon) that they would have solved this problem.

FYI: The dealer said that they will typically replace this module once under warranty, but the second time it is on the customer.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear your situation. That was an expensive repair.

This is the main reason why I don't eat and drink in my cars. Hate the sticky stains left by pop/soda or greasy fries stuck between the seat and center console.

Rather focus on my driving and watching for the idiots around me.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

10 Grand !?!

That's the most ridiculous cost I've ever seen. It speaks volumes to the fragility of our cars.

I'm sorry, but Audi cars should be made much more resilient to accidents like this. It's to be expected that a spill will occur from time to time (especially with kids). To not have some kind of liquid "proofing" is total negligence by Audi.

$10 thousand. Unbelievable.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

I've heard the same story but on an MBz. However, it was only $8k to un-do the damage! Cheap in comparison !!

(this is one of the reasons people don't eat/drink in my cars.)
Old 05-13-2013, 02:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Oh dear can't they sue the fast food place?

We do have the pathetic cup-holders on the D4 in the EU too.

We didn't really universally have cup-holders in the EU until maybe the mid-1990s and then we soon started to get them even on the most basic cars. When they first came, it was often said in reviews, "It even has cup-holders, obviously fitted for the American market". If you look, they mostly have small bottled water in them.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snapdragon
Oh dear can't they sue the fast food place?

We do have the pathetic cup-holders on the D4 in the EU too.

We didn't really universally have cup-holders in the EU until maybe the mid-1990s and then we soon started to get them even on the most basic cars. When they first came, it was often said in reviews, "It even has cup-holders, obviously fitted for the American market". If you look, they mostly have small bottled water in them.
I'm sure my insurance company will follow up with the restaurant owner.

I'm not a litigious person. If the cost were even close to reasonable, I would've just paid it out of pocket.

My big disappointment is that the car is so fragile. Again, in my old Mazda, I would've wiped it down, had the car detailed, and everything would've been fine. At most it would've been a $300 incident.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

What flavor milkshake?
Old 06-01-2013, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Omeletpants
What flavor milkshake?
You're THAT GUY, aren't you? Go drive a BMW.