A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My APR Stage 1 S8 , with bonus awesome S8+ review out of a tuner magazine

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default My APR Stage 1 S8 , with bonus awesome S8+ review out of a tuner magazine

So I finally got my 2014 S8 tuned to APR stage 1 - thanks to Eurofed Automotive in Snellville, GA for the excellent
service! The car now drives pretty much like I envisioned an S8 plus driving. The throttle tip-in at low speeds is
much improved and more linear, which I noticed immediately upon pulling out into traffic in metro ATL strip mall land.
I put it in dynamic sport mode and floored it at a red light, and honestly the acceleration was so brutal that it
scared me. The back tires slipped, and the front end lifted up to an insane degree, even more than it used to. I
think there was another APR tuned guy who posted a similar observation and a video of that a few months ago, and I
totally get it now!! And then all of a sudden I was doing over 80 mph. I honestly feel like I could keep up with almost any sports car now.

The downsides I have picked out are that it's actually harder to drive the car slowly now which is weird.. for example
it was hard to keep it below 30 in my mom's neighborhood this afternoon when I was picking up my little one. In
addition, the motor is definitely working harder. It sounds louder and the turbo whine is more pronounced than it used
to be. This tune is definitely changing the 4.0Ts behavior!! I honestly can't really imagine going stage 2 right now...
stage 1 is freaking insane. As I was driving home, I just felt so darn proud of my S8.. I always was but now I feel like it's my son who got a freaking
scholarship to Harvard or something lol.. just beaming from ear to ear!!

As a side note, while I was paging through one of the tuner magazines they had, I came across a review for the 2017 S8 Plus that is hilarious and awesome, I have attached it. It ends with the sentences "This is the best car I have ever driven. If you can afford this, buy this." Eurofed automotive also put my S8 on Instagram with link below

View this post on Instagram
Attached Thumbnails My APR Stage 1 S8 , with bonus awesome S8+ review out of a tuner magazine-s8-review.jpg  

Last edited by Doctormario; 02-23-2018 at 06:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
09S5 (03-30-2024)
Old 02-24-2018, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

Doc, re the "so brutal that it scared me" the first time I floored it, same here with my S8+.

I patiently went went through the breakin on my new Plus, and when I finally got to the promised land, I chose a nice straightaway with no nearby traffic, and hit it. First off, I learned that I had to recalibrate what I considered nearby traffic. I have owned fast cars for most of my life, but I was unprepared for the sheer violence of the launch, and then just how quickly you have to back off . I think it's the action in the front end of the car that takes the most getting used to because the front axel gets enough instant power to cause a bit of torque steer before it lightens up.

One thing that distinguishes the S8+ from the description of your tune is the low speed character. The Plus is extremely smooth at low speed, from initial throttle tip in all the way up at part throttle. A magic carpet when you want it that way. Mike

Last edited by Mike911A8; 02-24-2018 at 05:19 AM. Reason: Add paragraph
09S5 (04-08-2024)
Old 02-24-2018, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default More thoughts

I think after driving it more, it’s actually smoother at low speeds than it used to be. I just need to adjust to more sensitive throttle tip in. The old setup, you could have your foot half buried before it jumped and now the throttle is more linear..

Also I was actually worried I had hurt the car, the previously mentioned launch was so violent. So crazy that you can just upload a new program and get basically almost a different car like that!

Originally Posted by Mike911A8
Doc, re the "so brutal that it scared me" the first time I floored it, same here with my S8+.

I patiently went went through the breakin on my new Plus, and when I finally got to the promised land, I chose a nice straightaway with no nearby traffic, and hit it. First off, I learned that I had to recalibrate what I considered nearby traffic. I have owned fast cars for most of my life, but I was unprepared for the sheer violence of the launch, and then just how quickly you have to back off . I think it's the action in the front end of the car that takes the most getting used to because the front axel gets enough instant power to cause a bit of torque steer before it lightens up.

One thing that distinguishes the S8+ from the description of your tune is the low speed character. The Plus is extremely smooth at low speed, from initial throttle tip in all the way up at part throttle. A magic carpet when you want it that way. Mike
Old 01-17-2023, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Doctormario
So I finally got my 2014 S8 tuned to APR stage 1 - thanks to Eurofed Automotive in Snellville, GA for the excellent
service! The car now drives pretty much like I envisioned an S8 plus driving. The throttle tip-in at low speeds is
much improved and more linear, which I noticed immediately upon pulling out into traffic in metro ATL strip mall land.
I put it in dynamic sport mode and floored it at a red light, and honestly the acceleration was so brutal that it
scared me. The back tires slipped, and the front end lifted up to an insane degree, even more than it used to. I
think there was another APR tuned guy who posted a similar observation and a video of that a few months ago, and I
totally get it now!! And then all of a sudden I was doing over 80 mph. I honestly feel like I could keep up with almost any sports car now.

The downsides I have picked out are that it's actually harder to drive the car slowly now which is weird.. for example
it was hard to keep it below 30 in my mom's neighborhood this afternoon when I was picking up my little one. In
addition, the motor is definitely working harder. It sounds louder and the turbo whine is more pronounced than it used
to be. This tune is definitely changing the 4.0Ts behavior!! I honestly can't really imagine going stage 2 right now...
stage 1 is freaking insane. As I was driving home, I just felt so darn proud of my S8.. I always was but now I feel like it's my son who got a freaking
scholarship to Harvard or something lol.. just beaming from ear to ear!!

As a side note, while I was paging through one of the tuner magazines they had, I came across a review for the 2017 S8 Plus that is hilarious and awesome, I have attached it. It ends with the sentences "This is the best car I have ever driven. If you can afford this, buy this." Eurofed automotive also put my S8 on Instagram with link below

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfjQl4phLlZ/
I was googling best tunes for the S8 and this post popped up. Which is very ironic because I wrote that S8 review! Haha!
Old 01-17-2023, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default How funny!

Sadly my S8 met the fate of the rest of these and blew a turbo in 2019, leaving me and family stranded and laughed at by the cops and tow truckers who came to bail us out. I had to spend months repairing it and sold it as fast as I could.. and got a Tesla.
Old 01-17-2023, 03:43 PM
Super-Duper User

Received 485 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Doctormario
Sadly my S8 met the fate of the rest of these and blew a turbo in 2019, leaving me and family stranded and laughed at by the cops and tow truckers who came to bail us out. I had to spend months repairing it and sold it as fast as I could.. and got a Tesla.
You should be able to recover your repair costs if you saved your receipts... It's been recalled for that.
Old 03-26-2024, 12:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recall?

Originally Posted by A8L_New_England
You should be able to recover your repair costs if you saved your receipts... It's been recalled for that.
Hey, even with a tune , they would cover repairs? Curious
Old 03-26-2024, 02:55 AM
Super-Duper User

Prolly not. Lots of discussion about this in the turbo recall threads.
Yualredino (03-26-2024)
Old 03-26-2024, 02:25 PM
Flagship addict

Received 116 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by A8L_New_England
Prolly not. Lots of discussion about this in the turbo recall threads.
My dealer will and does, I outright told them I have a tune and to not touch anything software wise. They only deny if you blow something up from it not the oil stainer being clogged
Old 03-26-2024, 09:59 PM
Super-Duper User

Initially answering question over a year ago, that was also my answer. Answering question yesterday in six-year-old thread... trying to divert and/or engage the one-post user.
Don't want to get his hopes up. This is regarding reimbursement from Audi, not a dealer. More reading and research is his prerequisite. Remember at least one account of someone (one of us here) still waiting on them for $...? My current car was done by the PO, and he was never able to collect, even with documentation, in stock configuration. Even if they do reimburse, It's only going to be for a bunch of gaskets... no labor.
In any case, Mr. Y... Good luck and let us know how it works out for you, if you happen to check back here for our replies.

Last edited by A8L_New_England; 03-26-2024 at 10:02 PM.

Quick Reply: My APR Stage 1 S8 , with bonus awesome S8+ review out of a tuner magazine