MY LAST AUDI!!! - AudiWorld Forums

Notices
A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017

MY LAST AUDI!!!

Old 11-11-2017, 02:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default MY LAST AUDI!!!

I am livid right now! I have a 13 A8L 4.0t. This morning my 11 yo niece wanted me to take her to her dance recital because she loves to ride in this car. I picked her up a little early and noticed bird poop on the hood. So I figured I would go by the touchless automatic carwash before the recital. Once in the wash the spray wand laid down a coating of soap all the way around the car. The wand then began the rinse cycle started at the front passenger bumper and proceeded to run down the car. Once the wand hit the top of the windshield, it blew soapy water directly into the cabin like there was no windshield there! It came in with such force that my niece ended up getting soapy water sprayed into hair and eyes completely ruining her outfit! Her screaming literally broke my heart! I ended up taking her back home, and unfortunately she wasn't able to make it to the recital. Before I left she told me that she was sorry that my car got flooded! That pissed me off! How in the hell can a 4 year old automobile that cost $107 thousand brand new have this type of construction flaw? There is nothing that I can see from outside the car around the windshield, everything looks normal. I just paid $2700 for a just out of warranty PVC valve! I also had the vibration at 1K and 3K rpm issue. Now I have to get this repaired?! Ive had an A8 in my driveway since 03 and I have never seen anything like this! To put the icing on the cake now the sunroof has stopped working! Im getting off the Audi train at the next stop! Which is a shame because I love my car when there are no issues! Audi has probably lost a future customer in my niece because she absolutely loved to ride in this car and even knew all the different Audi models! She even knew how to work the MMI better than I did! I guess its time to start looking at Tesla!
Old 11-11-2017, 03:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ummm...your sunroof was closed all the way, right? I've been through the touchless car wash a number of times, but experienced no issues....
Old 11-11-2017, 05:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes went through the car wash last week, I only do the touchless ones because they don't scratch the paint. The sunroof is closed tight and level with the roof. All windows were up and tight it is the last thing I do after entering the code before puling into the wash. On the way home I could hear air flowing into the cabin like the window was cracked. I looked on the inside down the right A pillar and I could see the sealant bead pushing out into the cabin. I will take a picture tomorrow.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:27 PM

Sorry to hear. Unfortunately that windshield issue right at the top center is a somewhat known one. I recall a few posts on it if you search this forum in past few years.

Did you buy new or used? Is it original windshield, or a replacement? If unsure, look at the manufacturer logo on the windshield glass for clues. If replaced, on your watch, or a prior owner? If replaced and your ownership, a lot of windshield installers have a warranty for this. If you have collision/comprehensive, then regardless of windshield replace or not and debating whose ownership watch, you may have a weird insurance claim here. You could discuss with your agent. It might fall into the low $100 type deductible for those, but may get into finger pointing with car wash place too. Sunroof issue might get covered that way, and her clothing. I actually had two of these over the years--bird strike on a Mini, and rock rolling down freeway off a hillside at sunrise in D3 A8. Both ended up as multi thousand dollar claims, each w/ a $100 deductible plus no finding of fault since they get classed as accidents of nature type stuff.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I bought it from the original owner, a doctor in Florida who really babied the car. Garage kept, all maintenance records, one small fender bender on the passenger rear. He said his wife bumped the car with her escalade and he nearly divorced her. It is the original windshield and now that I have this issue, I started seeing all the other posts about windshield leaks. Now I don't feel so alone knowing there are others with the same problem. Its a shame that a vehicle packed with this much electronics has a potentially fatal flaw. I was lucky because if the breach was 8" to the left everything from the shifter to the dash screen would have taken so much water theres no way the electronics would not have been ruined. I will talk to my agent about this situation but I doubt that they would cover the recalibration cost of the ACC that everyone says has to be done once any adjustment to the windshield has been performed.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

To add insult to injury the PCV valve replacement should only have cost you $1500. That's what I paid at my dealer for the repairs 2 months ago. Sorry for your bad luck.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sucks to fork out money on a car. If you don't have a warranty stop going to a dealer. Seriously, it is convenient and they may give you a loaner but you will pay double to triple the price of a good German car independent shop. Unless you like bending over at the cashier.
​​

Last edited by LexusLSguy; 11-12-2017 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by A8youup View Post
I am livid right now! I have a 13 A8L 4.0t. This morning my 11 yo niece wanted me to take her to her dance recital because she loves to ride in this car. I picked her up a little early and noticed bird poop on the hood. So I figured I would go by the touchless automatic carwash before the recital. Once in the wash the spray wand laid down a coating of soap all the way around the car. The wand then began the rinse cycle started at the front passenger bumper and proceeded to run down the car. Once the wand hit the top of the windshield, it blew soapy water directly into the cabin like there was no windshield there! It came in with such force that my niece ended up getting soapy water sprayed into hair and eyes completely ruining her outfit! Her screaming literally broke my heart! I ended up taking her back home, and unfortunately she wasn't able to make it to the recital. Before I left she told me that she was sorry that my car got flooded! That pissed me off! How in the hell can a 4 year old automobile that cost $107 thousand brand new have this type of construction flaw? There is nothing that I can see from outside the car around the windshield, everything looks normal. I just paid $2700 for a just out of warranty PVC valve! I also had the vibration at 1K and 3K rpm issue. Now I have to get this repaired?! Ive had an A8 in my driveway since 03 and I have never seen anything like this! To put the icing on the cake now the sunroof has stopped working! Im getting off the Audi train at the next stop! Which is a shame because I love my car when there are no issues! Audi has probably lost a future customer in my niece because she absolutely loved to ride in this car and even knew all the different Audi models! She even knew how to work the MMI better than I did! I guess its time to start looking at Tesla!

I'm with ya. Sorry to hear of the troubles.
When wife and I run these two vehicles out I'm done with Audi as well. In fact I'm looking at Lexus models now. I've only had one reliable Audi out of the last 6. Don't know why I have kept going down this road. Daugheter called me this week too as shes out on the West coast, her A3 is throwing codes and plagued with electrical gremlins, trans problems and overall a POS just like my 8. Told her to go buy a Honda CRV! Nothing but trouble with this Audi brand anymore and our whole family is done too.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think I am in the same boat as you but with different issues.

Ive had numerous issues with my d3 and the d4 is heading that way. A couple of days i got a cracked windshield on the d4 and also did get one a couple of years ago on the d3 as well.
Now the MMI has gone crazy. I hear cracking noises in the front when I go over bumps and it seems like a suspension issue.

Up to last year, I had 6 german cars- An e46 M3 which never ever gave me a single issue, a C Class that i had to deal with only regular maintance, a GL 320 CDI which Iíve only had to replace the air suspension, and a Passat TDI which I didnt get to enjoy it much because it was bought back by VW. Of all 6 cars, I have spent more money in the A8s than all cars combined.

However, I wouldnt go for a tesla. I am leaning towards the good old Mercs.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Passenger side gasket pulling out of A pillar!

Search this Thread