A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new brakes are groovy, baby! But not in a good way...

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
Default My new brakes are groovy, baby! But not in a good way...

So, I finally got past some physical ailments and swapped in the new rotors and pads on my 2011 A8L / 4.2L, after having the parts for almost two months. Job went well and I was aided by the capable hands of my ASE-Certified son. I did use my new VCDS system, as well, so no bypassing of the EPB. Tip-o-the-hat to the folks at Ross-Tech, for an excellent product, BTW!

Here's the dealio . . . Audi front rotors (Audi USA Parts), Centric rear rotors and Akebono pads all around (Rock Auto). Everything checked, cleaned, properly installed, re-checked and tested operational. Braking is smooth and quiet, balanced and stable in all scenarios. I gave it a week (a couple hundred miles, or so), to let things "settle in" and gave it a close inspection. Looks like I've got some 'grooving' going on fully across the contact surfaces of all four rotors - more so on the rears, but still there on the fronts - and I'm kinda concerned about it. All are about the depth and dimensions of the grooves on a phonograph record; maybe a bit wider. I've done a bunch of brake jobs over the past 40+ years and don't recall having this on a new installation. This is my first time working with an Audi and first, also, using Centric and Akebono parts. Does this sound, or look, normal or common to any of you? Or, do I (as I fear) have "A Problem" on my hands?

The 6-week delay in installation after delivery may cause trouble for any warranty solution, so I'm looking for both technical and tactical advice.

Cheers, y'all, and thanks!

Old 11-06-2018, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Let me start by saying it's really hard to diagnose some of this stuff over the internet..... even with pictures.

To me, it looks like you have a little surface rust in low spots. I know you said you replaced the rotors and one would think they would be perfectly smooth but I'd just give it some time and see if it all "evens" out.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts

You can't tell for sure with only a picture but it looks like normal pad transfer. Akebono doesn't spec a bed-in procedure, and you didn't mention one so I don't think you probably did it. So instead of getting this out of the way quickly and initially you are extending the process. I doubt that you are actually seeing grooves cut into a rotor in such short mileage but rather pad material transfer. Since your brakes are operating normally just drive and enjoy it.