A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017

Is my speaker blown?

Old 03-21-2019, 01:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my speaker blown?

My warranty is up next week and I noticed today that I can get a buzz from the parcel shelf speakers when I play some music with a strong base beat at volumes above about 18 or 20.

Can someone, or a few people, try playing the following track at a volume in the 20's and let me know if you get a buzz? Not sure if it's an issue or a feature!

Thanks

https://youtu.be/OUeaAOIAbXs.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I routinely listen to my favorite music from 18-20 and there is no rattle or buzz.

I'd try to use a fixed frequency track or sweeping track (you can YouTube it) and test it yourself.

Based on your description it sounds like a blown voice coil in one of your speakers that starts to distort at higher amplification

But I will try that track in about an hour to test it for you!
Old 03-21-2019, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just tested that track. No buzz. Sorry dude.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I had a similar issue with mine (B&O) until I noticed a vibration sound one day when I passed a loud semi on the interstate while my radio was off.

Turns out it was the metal trim on my rear pano sunshade vibrating agains the metal trim where it comes to rest in the closed position. Some felt tape soon fixed that issue and no vibrations since, not matter how high I crank the music. Definitely a possibility and worth looking into (felt tape is a LOT cheaper than a new speaker!), unless you have rolled around in the back seat and confirmed the buzzing is coming from a specific speaker.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes it is amazing in a quiet car what you here. I had a vibration and it was the phone holder in my airvent hitting the trim.