A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice: Keep car or trade?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Need advice: Keep car or trade?

Ok, so I will have my car 3 years this May. I still have a loan on the car and I feel it’s worth somewhere around $35k to $38k in trade. I paid $71 for the car 3 years ago which was a deal then but the depreciation has been unreal. My car has approx 26000 mile. I figure I have approx 10k in equity.

My my question is this. Would you A) pay off the car and drive it longer without a payment or B) do something else and by that I mean different. On my list are the A4 allroad and the newly designed Jeep Wrangler. I thought of going with a new S6 but I’m off of that. I also thought of getting a new D4 4.0 but I’ve eased on that too. Our other car is a leased 2017 Q7 which serves as family hauler.

Opinions appreciated. I feel like I’m going through a reverse mid life crisis whereby I’m looking to bring things down a level but at the same time I like the A8. I think I need an automobile shrink! So here I am.

Last edited by Puzz1; 01-13-2018 at 04:09 AM.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

You like your A8 and it has 26,000 miles, and for better or worse, you are more than half way through the depreciation curve. I don't think you will be happy moving down market, so I suggest keeping it along with the cash you would pay for the new ride. Good luck, Mike
Old 01-13-2018, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike911A8
You like your A8 and it has 26,000 miles, and for better or worse, you are more than half way through the depreciation curve. I don't think you will be happy moving down market, so I suggest keeping it along with the cash you would pay for the new ride. Good luck, Mike

+1. The left brain analytics say hold it since you already took a lot of depreciation bath, and only will again if you repeat same process. The right brain part though...and the long list of cars in OP's autosig--suggests you may be doomed (blessed?) to repeat the prior behavior. But then your thinner wallet and later 401K may ultimately yank the leash you are maybe starting to feel. In real world, I figure as long as body relatively clean, pretty tradable for 5 years and out to 75K. Harder after that for things like extended warranties, CPO by dealer, etc.

Even if the itch won't go away, I would at least wait until the D5's and C8's are out a year or so, which goes back to the 5 year type window. Or if really need be, split the difference and a bunch of the depreciation bath and find a facelift CPO in D4 w w/ motor of choice. Your CPO warranty would also likely run as long or longer than your current 3.0T, if part of your thinking is keep them inside of warranty and let someone else fix on other than your nickel genarally.

P.S. back on right brain and given the Q5 soccer mobile (pardon the French to further the point), how about a new 400HP raucous I-5 TT-RS? Fits the "and I mean different" notion. If they ever get the convertible here, I might salve that on my periodic R8-itis myself. More like 3.0T $$ than a new 4.0T, and might be in similar zone now as a facelift type CPO S8 pre Plus.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 01-13-2018 at 09:37 AM.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you don’t want to swap it for a 4.0 or an S, which would have been my advice, keep it.
Its not worth much - from an equity basis - and a good lump of the depreciation has happened. Anything else will be a step down.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

"But at the same time I like the a8".....those are your words.........I think AlanA hit it on the head. A Wrangler will definitely be not a step down but a cliff down, rent one of those for a week and you will ask yourself what you were thinking. Your A8 has zip on it for mileage, throw a pulley kit from APR and a tune on it and you will feel like you are in a whole new car. If it was me I would be keeping that sucker for two more years, double down on the payments and test drive and shop for what you really NEED and want(lower case)! A new S6 or A8 will have you riding the depreciation curve yet again.........time to think think think!
Old 01-13-2018, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

Forgot to mention that my car is actually a CPO. I bought it nearly new (2400 miles) from my dealers loaner fleet. So warranteed until 10/2020 - six years from original in service.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Puzz1
Forgot to mention that my car is actually a CPO. I bought it nearly new (2400 miles) from my dealers loaner fleet. So warranteed until 10/2020 - six years from original in service.
Keep it at least until the warranty is gone, assuming you still like driving it.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default CPO

well that changes things, I really do think you should keep it but isn't CPO transferable? If so that could be very attractive to a potential buyer
Old 01-13-2018, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Puzz1,

It seems to me that you are not looking for a feature that your A8 is missing, but just craving ‘change’. I went through something very similar recently, not knowing what I wanted and looking for something that would keep me happy for the next few years.

After a couple of mistakes, I learnt that stepping down was a bad idea. You get used to certain features and luxuries without even realizing it. Living without those daily can be very annoying.

I would recommend spending a grand or two tuning your car to keep it fresh until the D5 S8/4.0L has been out a year. By then, your car would be primed for a trade-in, with the warranty ending and you having gotten your money’s worth out of it. At that time you can decide if you want to step up to the D5 or go with a maxed-out CPO D4 A8/S8.

Good of luck in your search.

Last edited by Spock1234; 01-13-2018 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Puzz1
On my list are the A4 allroad
It was either an A8 4.0 for me or the new Allroad... I hate the idea of the front-wheel drive quattro "ultra" on the new A4 and I really hate the lack of engine options. 2 liter 4 cylinder loaded up with options for $60k? yikes.

Quick Reply: Need advice: Keep car or trade?