Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A8 / S8 > A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion
Reload this Page >

Need guidance on dealer's engine repair

A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017

Need guidance on dealer's engine repair

Old 05-15-2019, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Unhappy Need guidance on dealer's engine repair

I'm hoping someone can give some ideas here... My 2015 S8 at 43K miles and 5 months over warranty, engine light came on, ended up being TSB (http://australiancar.reviews/_pdfs/A...7-2_201607.pdf) camshaft adjustment valve issue.

Audi was nice and they decided to fix this under warranty anyway.

They've now had my car for 6 weeks. I'm sure getting parts has been part of it, BUT...

After having the engine out and torn apart once to repair this, they put it all back together then told me I had a bad piston... Which led to them taking it all apart again to realize they assembled the engine wrong and had a timing issue... They're now putting it all back together again. No telling how much taking apart they did to get to this point. No telling how far off they screwed up the timing to think this was a bad piston.

I'm terrified to get this vehicle back.

Any suggestions? Is there a long-term effect to having this engine out and torn down at least twice? To having reassembled it wrong at least once? What hard questions should I be getting the dealer to answer about what happened? So far, they've dodged every question, which isn't leading to any improved confidence.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:03 PM

So, from the link, are you in Australia, or is that just a web artifact? It's a USA TSB though, so I am not sure. In general, good to include your geography in sig. or avatar--along w/ the year and motor info which you had in the text.

To your questions: Speaking for USA dealer experience, it surprises me they would go into a motor that deep. For the TSB as I skimmed it, that really does not seem that involved as far as invasiveness, so I don't sweat ones like that... until they screw them up, which sounds like is under way. What surprises me is the piston work. That does not sound like standard dealer to me, unless they are working against a TSB or recall--like 2.0T pistons for example. 4.0T on a per side basis is not going to be radically different than other Audi FSI variable timing motors with chain drives, but I would not think they do this very often except with the (rare) engine related recall/service action. When I walk into my dealer service (Rector in Burlingame CA), I routinely see 911's and Caymans endlessly seriously torn down--so much so it makes me wonder casually about deep internal reliability. The Audi service bays are mostly out of sight. But on the boards in general, I would say this is rare, especially for the V8's or older V!0's or W12's.

Yes, you need to understand work. I would try to get a sit down with the service manager. If they basically screwed something up, I can see how they could have backed into a deep dive, but hopefully they will be forthright. You certainly want a summary of all work done (which is normally on a completed dealer repair order) and all parts used. I would also confirm the obvious test drive has occurred. Ones like this will sometimes have an experienced mechanic drive it home overnight to check it both cold and hot. They have done that on some of my D3 W12 repairs that were more involved. A good thing in my book. Finally, for something technical, AFTER a long drive like that, I would want to have it scanned (with their dealer equipment) to confirm there are no error codes in the engine computer (ECU) or elsewhere. Things like the cam system electronics really need those extended test or regular drives to get through some of the internal check routines the ECU runs in the background. Some of the smog/emissions ones also need those longer cold and hot drives, and with that kind of work and motor pull, lots of things got disconnected and reconnected, with the attendant risks.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the reply.

I'm in the US but the link I found for the TSB just happened to be on an Australian site.

My car is a 2015 S8 with a 4.0 L 520 HP V8 engine.

Based on your reply, if in fact this TSB was the only problem they found, it sounds like there was no reason for them to go so deep into the engine such as to cause a timing issue upon reassembly... Thanks for the info--I definitely need to fully understand what they did and why.

If anyone else has experience with this, please share.

If they screwed up, what recourse do I have?
Old 05-16-2019, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Eric Stoll View Post
Thanks for the reply.

I'm in the US but the link I found for the TSB just happened to be on an Australian site.

My car is a 2015 S8 with a 4.0 L 520 HP V8 engine.

Based on your reply, if in fact this TSB was the only problem they found, it sounds like there was no reason for them to go so deep into the engine such as to cause a timing issue upon reassembly... Thanks for the info--I definitely need to fully understand what they did and why.

If anyone else has experience with this, please share.

If they screwed up, what recourse do I have?
Trade when you get it back.