A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"New" 20" All Season Tire Option for D4?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Cool "New" 20" All Season Tire Option for D4?

So I'm going to need tires soon, and was spooking around on Tirerack. It looks like there are now two versions of the Pirelli P Zero Nero AS 20" tire for the D4. One is slightly more expensive and has the words "Noise Canceling System" in the description. I went to Pirelli's website (which is terrible) and couldn't find out anything. Anyone know about this and what it means?

Larry
Old 03-19-2015, 08:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The NCS tires have a polyurethane sponge that is fitted to the inside of the tire. Helps absorb a lot of the road noise and other mechanical vibrations from being transmitted to the cabin.
Old 03-19-2015, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by lgball
So I'm going to need tires soon, and was spooking around on Tirerack. It looks like there are now two versions of the Pirelli P Zero Nero AS 20" tire for the D4. One is slightly more expensive and has the words "Noise Canceling System" in the description. I went to Pirelli's website (which is terrible) and couldn't find out anything. Anyone know about this and what it means?

Larry
From the "terrible" Pirelli website:

NOISE CANCELLING SYSTEM
TECHNOLOGY AVAILABLE AS ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT ON AUDI'S MOST PRESTIGIOUS MODELS

Pirelli has developed new tires for Audi Group cars that are designed to reduce noise for the occupants of the car. This is the latest milestone in the historic technical partnership between the Italian tire firm and the German car manufacturer. As a matter of fact, for the first time the Milan-based firm is supplying the “Pirelli Noise Cancelling System” as original equipment: a system that reduces the noise that each tire makes as it runs along the road.
This noise, caused by the vibration produced by air that is compressed when the tire is squashed against the road, is transmitted from the tire to the wheel hub before eventually reaching the inside of the cabin, via the steering and suspension.
Pirelli’s innovative system makes use of a polyurethane sponge on the inside of the tire that is designed to absorb these vibrations and so reduce the amount of noise passed through to the cabin.
The “Pirelli Noise Cancelling System” reduces noise by between two to three decibels, or on average by half, with a consequent improvement in driving comfort.
Pirelli’s development tests have confirmed that the use of this noise-reducing sponge does not have any other effects on the characteristics of the tire.
With the introduction of this technology for original equipment, Pirelli is answering a growing demand in the automotive world for reduced noise levels both on the inside and outside of the car, and addressing the latest European regulations to reduce noise pollution, as manufacturers are required to respond to. At the moment the “Pirelli Noise Cancelling System” is available as original equipment on the Audi RS6 and RS7, running on 275/35ZR20 and 275/30ZR21 P ZEROTM sized tires respectively.
The tires using this system have the letters ‘PNCS’ written on the sidewalls to denote its use.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Anybody have these tires equipped?
Old 03-20-2015, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

I believe these are just released in sizes for the A8. TireRack shows them as a new item and all the press releases refer to the RS6 and RS7.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Default I'll be buying some soon

28,600 on my OEMs and they are getting noisy. I'm trying to hold out to 30,000. I will be buying these when I do make the swap.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently purchased at set of these on my 2014 A8L TDI. I just put two thousand miles on these tires touring colleges with my son over his spring break. These tires are noticeably better than the OE Pirelli's that come with the twenty inch wheel package. My wife even commented how much quicker these tires are over the OE tires. The noise canceling system is definitely better.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I won't ever buy a Pirelli tire again after 2 horrible experiences with them, most recently the utter garbage OEM tire on my old GTI, a PZero Nero. Horrible in all conditions. But it sounds like a few people have had good luck with these new ones.

I run Continental DWS on my S8 and have been very impressed with how they performed in a really nasty winter as well as in the dry.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SaltyIrishman
I won't ever buy a Pirelli tire again after 2 horrible experiences with them, most recently the utter garbage OEM tire on my old GTI, a PZero Nero. Horrible in all conditions. But it sounds like a few people have had good luck with these new ones.

I run Continental DWS on my S8 and have been very impressed with how they performed in a really nasty winter as well as in the dry.
Agree about the Conti DWS. Had them on my A7 and thought they were outstanding in all conditions. Do they have them in sizes for the A8L? Not shown on tire rack
Old 04-26-2015, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SWelsch
Agree about the Conti DWS. Had them on my A7 and thought they were outstanding in all conditions. Do they have them in sizes for the A8L? Not shown on tire rack
I'd be surprised if they didn't...20" is a common enough rim size nowadays. I know on the D3 you have to be careful which sizes to choose as we share some fitments with the Bentley, which would price gouge you into oblivion. There are some Panamera fittings that work with the D3 might be good to check on similar situation with the D4.

Quick Reply: "New" 20" All Season Tire Option for D4?