Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A8 / S8 > A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion
Reload this Page >

New 2015 Audi S8 owner question about AMI/MMI

A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017

New 2015 Audi S8 owner question about AMI/MMI

Old 03-15-2019, 03:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by virtualrc View Post
The setup looks great. Curious to know what you're doing for wire management for the phone on the mount. Also, which holder did you go with?
virtualrc I thought I would share with you how the hardwiring of a USB charging port turned out.

I decided to use velcro, to attach the USB plug to the mount, instead of attaching it to the cars trim. The cable for the hardwire kit runs from the USB connector pictured, into the seam behind it, down that seam, to the carpet. It's then tucked behind the carpet, around to the fuse box on the passengers side.

I considered placing the USB connector in the glove compartment or further down out of view, then running a lightening cable up to the mount.

Right now, I believe this setup is more functional because it allows the cable to be easily swapped out, allowing any device, not just an iPhone to be charged from this location.

Only thing left to test, is a 4-inch lightening cable, the shortest cable I have is 12-inch and is definitely too long.

Old 03-15-2019, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by thiefa4 View Post
virtualrc I thought I would share with you how the hardwiring of a USB charging port turned out.

I decided to use velcro, to attach the USB plug to the mount, instead of attaching it to the cars trim. The cable for the hardwire kit runs from the USB connector pictured, into the seam behind it, down that seam, to the carpet. It's then tucked behind the carpet, around to the fuse box on the passengers side.
I'm really digging the clean look you've made here. I don't have any experience with auto electronics like tapping into an existing fuse box. More details/pictures if you can spare them please.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0 View Post
Yep, Bose even in D3 was pretty darn good. Especially knowing since there was no B&O for first 4 years of D4--including W12--so they had to give it pretty good specs, speakers and output. I was happy with it even in D3. D4 is yet improved. Bose probably has somewhat stronger apparent bass for those who want some thump. B&0 shows in subtle ways in very finely defined notes in various tracks that draw that out. It doesn't don't blur/distort those--both high and especially low. On D4 B&O, I had to modify settings buried deeper in hidden menus to get better output from it; Audi seems to have put training wheels on the D4 B&O, maybe to reduce repair stuff or something. Without that mod, apparent output of either may seem similar to the ear, even if specs say differently.

Net, in mid mind D4 (or D3) Bose is nothing to feel slighted on if you find the right car at right price and condition.
Iím curious...where are these hidden menus you speak? Do tell....
Old 03-15-2019, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by therealfleen View Post

Iím curious...where are these hidden menus you speak? Do tell....
Search is your friend...

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...nputs-2899865/
Old 03-16-2019, 04:36 AM
D4 in PA

Originally Posted by thiefa4 View Post

I considered placing the USB connector in the glove compartment or further down out of view, then running a lightening cable up to the mount.

Right now, I believe this setup is more functional because it allows the cable to be easily swapped out, allowing any device, not just an iPhone to be charged from this location.

Only thing left to test, is a 4-inch lightening cable, the shortest cable I have is 12-inch and is definitely too long.

VERY clean and tidy.... looks professional all the way. Nicely done!