A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Audi and new to this forum

Old 04-28-2019, 12:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Audi and new to this forum

Just wanted to say hello and ask a pretty general question to those who wish to answer. So I recently purchased my first Audi and was looking for a good forum to help educate myself on the things to watch out for. Also it's always nice to discover little tweeks and upgrades to make the car even more enjoyable.

The car that caught my eye was a 2016 S8 Plus in Mythos Black Metallic optioned out with the Dynamic Package, B & O stereo, Black Optics Package, Audi Design Selection Interior, Driver Assistance Package, and Cold Weather Package. With only 16,000 miles on the clock it is still essentially new. So I have to say this is an amazing car and I had no idea that this kind of comfort could also be this blisteringly fast and fun to drive. I want to continue this new love affair and so I'm asking those in the know to give me a heads up on what things to watch out for... avoid, or obtain to make my experience as pain free and enjoyable as possible.

So I don't have any particular questions yet and won't hesitate to ask when something comes up. Anyway this forum seems to be a wealth of information and I look forward to learning more about this Audi. Not a stranger to German cars as I've had a few older B4 TDI VW's that I've done some mods to and enjoyed... and still enjoy because I have a habit of holding on to cars lol. I have VCDS and a growing collection of the specialized tools to maintain my VW's and with the limited amount of reading on this forum it looks like I should stick with dealer maintenance through the balance of the factory warranty. The turbo failure issues are a bit concerning and any advice on how to position myself for the best protection regarding that issue would be appreciated. This is a California car so I'm guessing that it is well positioned for the 7/70 emissions coverage. The unfortunate thing is that my nearest Audi dealer is 3 and a half hours away so it's not real convenient to just go have a face to face conversation with the service department to set myself up for the best way to navigate known issues. The car was a one owner and now I'm the second and I bought it from a performance car dealer in California which was not an Audi dealer... so it's not a CPO. Which brings up one of my questions, is it possible to buy an Audi from an outside dealer and then take the very low mile car to an Audi dealer and get it certified? Just thinking about extended warranty implications.

Anyway thanks for reading.
Regards, Mike
Old 04-28-2019, 01:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hello and welcome to the community !
Congrats to your new toy !

About your question, not sure why you would like it to be certified? It only makes sense when you buy it or sell it.
Just go visit your local VAG dealer and get the maintenance done by them and according the schedule.
Try not to miss any or be late.
A well maintained car is what you want as it will keep some extra value and guaranty compare to the same but not having been maintained regularly by the dealer.

Again welcome
Old 04-28-2019, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

Welcome aboard, H2. I have a question for you: I notice that your very well optioned S8+ has the Dynamic package, which includes the “real” sport exhaust. How do you like the exhaust sound? The reason I ask, when I did my build, I would have ordered the sport exhaust, but it was not a stand alone option, but part of a pricy option package I didn’t want, so I passed, with some regret.

I see you have the Audi Design interior; so nice! Mike
Old 04-28-2019, 04:24 AM
D4 in PA

Received 122 Likes on 86 Posts

Welcome! You'll find this forum is as good as forums get.
It is my understanding only an Audi dealer can CPO a car, and it must be serviced/sold by an Audi dealer to qualify for CPO.

Nice car! Pics?
Old 04-28-2019, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by laurent0613

About your question, not sure why you would like it to be certified? It only makes sense when you buy it or sell it.
Just go visit your local VAG dealer and get the maintenance done by them and according the schedule.

Again welcome
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking that if it were certified that would add the extended warranty. Kinda got spooked a little when I read about the turbo issues.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mike911A8
Welcome aboard, H2. I have a question for you: I notice that your very well optioned S8+ has the Dynamic package, which includes the “real” sport exhaust. How do you like the exhaust sound? The reason I ask, when I did my build, I would have ordered the sport exhaust, but it was not a stand alone option, but part of a pricy option package I didn’t want, so I passed, with some regret.

I see you have the Audi Design interior; so nice! Mike
So my impression of the exhaust note is that it must have been designed by the oil companies because it sounds sooo good that it's nearly impossible to keep your foot out of the throttle lol. I generally drive in sport mode and set to dynamic because I do like the aggressive tone and the shift characteristics. The interior package is really nice, I'm very impressed with the attention to detail on this car!
Old 04-28-2019, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy the new ride!
Old 04-28-2019, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by TinyElviss
Welcome! You'll find this forum is as good as forums get.
It is my understanding only an Audi dealer can CPO a car, and it must be serviced/sold by an Audi dealer to qualify for CPO.

Nice car! Pics?
That is what I was kind of expecting to find but it is worth asking if anyone has done it before. I'll try to add a few pics soon.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

If I did this right, here's a link to some pictures of my S8 Plus here.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:37 PM

Received 155 Likes on 112 Posts

Incredible find H2oskibum. You will no doubt find what you need here in terms of smart and helpful people. I'll be on the look out for your follow on posts and provide whatever support I can.

• It sounds like you've cruised enough of the board to get an idea of some common areas of interest to be familiar with. However if you don't see what you're looking for take the advice of many here and leverage google's search operators like site:audiworld.com instead of the native forum search.
  • I found having a full PDF service manual for the car is a good reference. Many places offer this online but I happened to use https://www.factory-manuals.com/expa...anual-247.html.
  • For parts I've had good luck with https://genuineaudiparts.com/partloc...?siteid=214407. Like other places, they seem to offer prices 20-30% better than the official Audi parts site.
Again, great ride and welcome,

RC

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New to Audi and new to this forum