AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d4-platform-discussion-190/)
-   -   New Matrix Headlights / IntelliBeam Are Excellent (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d4-platform-discussion-190/new-matrix-headlights-intellibeam-excellent-2970110/)

TinyElviss 04-06-2019 05:24 AM

New Matrix Headlights / IntelliBeam Are Excellent

I was given a spankin' new A6 while the Black Beauty was getting re-shod with rotors and pads all around. The A6 sported the new Matrix headlights. They are outstanding...

They illuminate turns a la our cornering lamps whether or not you use the turn signals. Their dispersion on the highway is near-perfect.

The Audi High-Beam Assist (I call it Intellibeam even though Cadillac uses it) responds much quicker than on my A8 and is less prone to false cutoffs.

The Touchscreen is a mixed bag. Having had the CUE system in my Cadillac, I am familiar with the concept and while Audi has nicely designed the interface, it is a step backwards in my estimation. Take a basic function like the dash illumination rheostat... the rotary knob is gone and you have to hunt through menus just to adjust the brightness....

Sigh.

Doctormario 04-06-2019 03:04 PM

I agree that the touch screen is less intuitive than the rotor wheel, I drove a 2019 A6 for a week while the S8 was in the shop

AugustHorch 04-06-2019 09:37 PM

You guys are scaring me - seems like the new A6's are the favorite loaner vehicles. My D4 is due to be at the dealer later this week for a few days while they replace the fuel gauge sensor (TSB). I'm told to expect a loaner ... I still remember the back pains I used to get from driving my '15 A6, not looking forward to another one.

TinyElviss 04-07-2019 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by AugustHorch (Post 25299960)
You guys are scaring me - seems like the new A6's are the favorite loaner vehicles. My D4 is due to be at the dealer later this week for a few days while they replace the fuel gauge sensor (TSB). I'm told to expect a loaner ... I still remember the back pains I used to get from driving my '15 A6, not looking forward to another one.

I get either an A6 or a Q5. I've had an A7 once. Never got another A8!!

tx170754 04-07-2019 01:49 PM

I’ve got an A6 and a Q5...no fun !

jahummel 04-08-2019 03:38 PM

I currently have a new A8 loaner and while it is nice with the glass cockpit and ambient lighting details, I prefer my my car with the old school MMI......but I am an O.F. Finger prints on touch screens drive me crazy and you certainly have to hunt for things with this new MMI set up. I suppose once one gets used to it, it would be fine.

Kelzo 04-09-2019 05:55 AM

I too had a brand new A6 loaner.

Liked it....but didn't love it.
I do like the new infotainment setup with the touch screens, although they were not as responsive and easy as I would have liked.