A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New S8

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 08:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by cleex024
Ok so a couple questions...when vcds is talking about front left...that is drivers side front correct? Because no matter how much I keep raising the passengers front side it keeps sitting lower than rest of corners and will not raise up. And why does the guide say code in auto mode and not the others?

Also is the suspension suppose to go in comfort mode and down in dynamic? Because I just checked and doesn't go up or down in either modes but does seem to get stiffer in dynamic...which is why i asked if our rides had magnetic dampers.

​​​
Yes, drivers front is front left for any U.S. or Continental Europe description. I just follow the instructions basically and it works for me. It takes me at least two and more likely three or four passes to get it. Sometimes it moves more in a corner than the setting change I made, sometimes hardly anything. Trial and error for me until I get where I want.

The sport and S8 suspension only drops at certain speeds, and not just parked there. It is the non sport one that drops at rest in Dynamic mode, by 10mm. Essentially an S8 already has that 10mm "built in" so only does the second 10mm step that the non-Sports also do. Said another way, total drop is only 10mm on an S8 or other sport suspension A8, while it is 20mm on a non-Sport. Having owned a non-Sport D3 A8--where total drop used to be 25mm--frankly I thought the non-Sport set up had more real world flexibility than the sport/S8 set up, especially once the lowering mod became known. I like the S8 ride, but wish in real world I could dial it a bit higher in some everyday around town situations (besides Raise mode). I find my self turning on front camera a lot just for dumb stuff like parking curbs and stops.

Audi struts have two basic attachments/connections--1. the air line, with the pressure and thus load and height controlled externally by the compressor and valve block, and 2. a simple electrical connection. That electrical connection is on each corner and goes to the "damping adjustment valve." The damping is controlled by varying the amperage, but it is unclear to me how it is doing it. I think it is probably just a fluid regulating valve, not the GM magnetic fluid type stuff. And yes, in turn it is stiffer in Dynamic than the others. That was even more obvious in my D3 W12 with the non-sport suspension struts. I haven't seen how the valve programming may vary by mode, but logically it is just given the feel.

See below for a screen shot on the ride height in the various modes for a sport/S8 suspension set up:
Attached Thumbnails New S8-screen-shot-2017-03-14-9.32.25-pm.png  
Old 03-14-2017, 09:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Yes, drivers front is front left for any U.S. or Continental Europe description. I just follow the instructions basically and it works for me. It takes me at least two and more likely three or four passes to get it. Sometimes it moves more in a corner than the setting change I made, sometimes hardly anything. Trial and error for me until I get where I want.

The sport and S8 suspension only drops at certain speeds, and not just parked there. It is the non sport one that drops at rest in Dynamic mode, by 10mm. Essentially an S8 already has that 10mm "built in" so only does the second 10mm step that the non-Sports also do. Said another way, total drop is only 10mm on an S8 or other sport suspension A8, while it is 20mm on a non-Sport. Having owned a non-Sport D3 A8--where total drop used to be 25mm--frankly I thought the non-Sport set up had more real world flexibility than the sport/S8 set up, especially once the lowering mod became known. I like the S8 ride, but wish in real world I could dial it a bit higher in some everyday around town situations (besides Raise mode). I find my self turning on front camera a lot just for dumb stuff like parking curbs and stops.

Audi struts have two basic attachments/connections--1. the air line, with the pressure and thus load and height controlled externally by the compressor and valve block, and 2. a simple electrical connection. That electrical connection is on each corner and goes to the "damping adjustment valve." The damping is controlled by varying the amperage, but it is unclear to me how it is doing it. I think it is probably just a fluid regulating valve, not the GM magnetic fluid type stuff. And yes, in turn it is stiffer in Dynamic than the others. That was even more obvious in my D3 W12 with the non-sport suspension struts. I haven't seen how the valve programming may vary by mode, but logically it is just given the feel.

See below for a screen shot on the ride height in the various modes for a sport/S8 suspension set up:
Ahhhh that makes sense that dampers are electronically controlled for valves...guess that's good enough but magnetic shocks do seem to have a great advantage of being able to instantly shut "valves"on the fly...like make it much stiffer when cornering.

So you don't have any clue why it should be in auto mode for the lowering? I've been doing it in dynamic mode but maybe it really does make a difference in which seeing you are in.

Oh and i came to the conclusion that the new a8/s8 headlights are petty bad compared to any of the newer headlights out there...even my genesis has better headlights in terms of overall viewable light output. These do not have a very wide light spread compared to adjust all led or projector hids

Last edited by cleex024; 03-14-2017 at 09:53 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by cleex024

So you don't have any clue why it should be in auto mode for the lowering? I've been doing it in dynamic mode but maybe it really does make a difference in which seeing you are in.

Oh and i came to the conclusion that the new a8/s8 headlights are petty bad compared to any of the newer headlights out there...even my genesis has better headlights in terms of overall viewable light output. These do not have a very wide light spread compared to adjust all led or projector hids
If you are using a set of instructions for lowering that are basically for "any" A8/S8 (or A7/S7, etc.), then by definition there will be sport and non sport suspension versions. On non-sport there will be a difference in ride height in one setting vs. the other when car is sitting there for adjustment. But not on the S8. I would do it as stated though. Since I usually don't use dynamic on mine, mine was set per the instructions and thus in automatic. To be clear, I just use automatic since starting ride height is the same and they both drop at freeway speeds the same 10mm. Automatic is just a bit softer, which works for me given inherently stiffer S8 ride.

Headlights, first dial them in before reaching any conclusions. Many of us seem to have found height is a little low. Also, try all weather function if you haven't already. Gets lights out toward sides somewhat, but not the incessant fog light look either. If you come from the school of fog lights on 24/7 for example, that shows a lot of light around that is not so good for actual clear weather night vision in shadows and less lit areas. These days a lot of folks turn up everything inside a lot too, which messes with good night vision yet more. And the D4 has a lot of that with the accent lighting and all. At least for longer drives or if I feel distracted, I consciously back down the interior lighting, instruments, screen, etc. below my normal settings somewhat below max. I have the ***** house lighting stuff (original name for the roof light strips) turned way down by default too--minimum click above full off. Running that stuff at higher levels can't be good for night vision. In Europe it computes more, since many an A8 (L) owner has a driver and they are in the back, from the Chancellor on down.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 03-14-2017 at 10:38 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL @ ***** house lighting!
Old 03-15-2017, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

I do love the ***** house lighting but wish there was a little more choice in color. I always called them Tron lights, and as such would have preferred that blue as an option.