A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New S8

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammerli
Alternately if you absolutely don't want the adaptive cruise, as I do not, then do NOT order that package, as you cannot select for the cruise to be "normal" cruise and are stuck with the annoying adaptive cruise.
Are you sure????

My car is not close by so I can't go out and confirm.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewmr
Are you sure????

My car is not close by so I can't go out and confirm.
Well I certainly hope I am wrong. I could not find a way to disable the active cruise, my dealer told me there was no way too. Even the Honda Accord Touring I drove recently I could choose between active and "standard" cruise, why Audi would not allow disabling this considering everything else one can configure is beyond me.

Please tell me I am wrong and there is a special spot to do this in the MMI!
Old 03-06-2017, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

No way that I am aware.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

I think there is no setting to get to old school cruise, so correct there. But also scratching my head why that basic non adaptive type would be preferred. Old school fixed cruise virtually worthless to me in any built up traffic. Q5 has it, and old Mini S did. My W12 for prior 10 years had adaptive too. So, Q5 only gets used on very open and now relatively uncommon roads to Tahoe or if an LEO or something is around that I can see and I plant it hard at 65 limit with most other traffic moving faster.

Is it to close gap up super tight or something, safety and other debates aside? Or not wanting cars that muscle in nonetheless to then have car fall back again to reestablish gap? Hard for me to come up with a scenario other than those involving close in squeeze type conflicts. Maybe the 2 ½ MPG steps aren't that granular, though you can end run that just by setting it at some preferred initial odd # speed (e.g. 69 or 71 or 77 or whatever and it will hold that until first time you bump it up or down. For metric/ kph settings BTW I think they are more precise relative to other markets. System tracks very well as they go and can go down to all stop. Really no complaints by me and consistently good performance. I have mine set so default gap is closest (the second little line mark in display) and I can ease it off from there; have Drive Select dialed in to the more rapid reassume speed/catch up setting.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 03-06-2017 at 08:47 PM.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
I think there is no setting to get to old school cruise, so correct there. But also scratching my head why that basic non adaptive type would be preferred. Old school fixed cruise virtually worthless to me...
I do NOT mean this to be pejorative but I get so frustrated by those that can't understand why anyone would want what I call real cruise instead of semi-autonomous cruise. I appreciate that for many their driving style, traffic patterns, and environmental concerns (or lack there-of), make semi-autonomous cruise useful. I am glad the companies give you that option. I applaud Honda and others that give drivers the benefit of both, and the freedom to make that educated decision.

You see I don't live in a highly populated area, I can set my cruise on a 50 mile drive and rarely have to touch it. I do live in a lake effect snow belt, that does cause problems with the sensors, and it is annoying. I can't stand the car letting off or worse yet braking for no reason, it is hazardous for the traffic behind me that wonder what the he** I'm braking for. I frequently drive a N-S road that is known to have strong E-W winds, like 20 mph sustained much of last couple weeks. That means lots of things blowing across road, and yes, that causes problems too. Neither of those are the I read it in a forum and just think it happens, they are what happens to me and among the things that make me despise these cruise systems when forced on me. In addition I guess I get lucky and frequently encounter other drivers I can identify with, for instance, first time I used the cruise in the A8, driving along at 84, approaching a BMW that is probably doing about 80 in right lane, approaching a semi doing about 70. He maybe should have been planning a little better, but when I saw him mirror check as he was closing on semi, I made a guess he was a decent driver, so gave him the flash the brights come on over indication. Gap was not a safe and assured stopping distance, but I could see nothing in front of semi and figured BMW would be intelligent. He accelerated into gap in front of me. Given my admission about gap I don't have to tell you what car did, you can figure it out. Problem then are the 2 cars behind me that obviously had normal cruise and had matched my speed. Normal cruise I would have had zero problems, BMW accelerated, then got back over, while I was left cursing at my nanny car. So no, I don't want annoying cruise, instead I use old fashioned cruise, a steady right foot, and have learned the most annoying thing about my car.

Last edited by Hammerli; 03-06-2017 at 09:29 PM.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by JD72
Thanks for the responses
Its a UK order car so I can select the enhanced exhaust on our configurator as a stand alone option.
The assistance package in the UK is:
  • Audi adaptive cruise control with Stop&Go function including Pre-sense front
  • Audi active lane assist
  • Audi side assist including Pre-sense rear
  • Pre-sense plus, an expansion of the Audi braking guard, where, if a collision is perceived as unavoidable, the brakes are applied automatically in order to minimise the impact of the collision
Above is a $2750.00 upgrade........is that worth it??
I will ask my Audi guy to see what that adds to the monthly's.

B&O is $6850 .... i'll swerve that !

Previously had E92 M3, F10 M5 and currently Maserati Ghibli....I'm hoping I won't be disapointed ??

Thanks

again
I take it you are aware that the new D5 A8 will be available for sale in the UK in around 6 months? Mind you, the S8 version will probably lag for some time after that.

But it will be significantly different; new platform (lighter, stiffer), very different interior, radically updated electronic systems, etc. Doesn't make the current S8 any less desirable, but I have already seen a couple of dealers here offering very big discounts on brand new S8 Plus models they have in stock. They don't want to be left holding these expensive cars too much longer. Appreciate the delight in ordering exactly how you would like it, but maybe worth checking what dealers are holding in stock and what price they may entertain.

Last edited by Glisse; 03-07-2017 at 03:02 AM.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

When the D3 A8 came out, testers found the V8 was faster than that of the previous S8. The same happened again with the release of the D4. I'm very curious to see if this pattern holds for the D5. I doubt it'll outdo the plus, but how much faster does the 4.0t really have to be to outgun the non-plus S8?
Old 03-07-2017, 04:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Again many thanks for the input.
I've been offrered such a good deal for a new leased S8 I would be crazy not to take it, S8 Plus are still high at UK dealers.
I was not looking at this car to begin with, I was edging towards a Panamera 4S, RS7, CLS AMG S or M6 GC, but the deal swung it and now I'm happy with the choice.
I have read and looked at spy shots of the D5 and it looks great and will no doubt have the Porsche engine & TFT's etc but I seriously won't see one on the road for at least 18 months locally. I have only seen one or two D4 S8's since launch.
Appreciate the heads up re the D5, will now add the assistance pack.

Thanks again
J
Old 03-07-2017, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

To add I'm loving the wolf in sheeps clothing aspect of the S8, this will also be my first rapid 4 wheel drive car.
I've had plenty of premium SUV's or the wife has, but all previous fast cars have been RWD. I live in the NW of England and its wet here, frequently, so i will be looking forward to the usability of all that power all year round.
Thanks
J
Old 03-07-2017, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I've had the adaptive cruise on my, now departed S8, and it was a total pain, when it stopped working (a lot of time with no reason, sunny day, clean front end, etc.) you're losing the CC and couldn't do nothing, I'm so glad my D4 A8 doesn't have it.

Quick Reply: New S8