A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Night vision assistant problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Night vision assistant problems

I have the night vision assistant on a 2012 A8L and I have never had it sound a tone despite the fact that I have this feature turned all the way in the MMI. Sometimes it will feature an animal with a yellow box and sometimes it will not.
The dealer agreed it was a problem and replaced the unit, but it is still the same. Any ideas?
Old 02-28-2012, 11:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This system is designed only for human detection. Audi states this quite clearly. It is not meant to warn of animals, although sometimes it will highlight them in yellow. It will tone and turn red only if an actual human is seen by the system.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by athensga
This system is designed only for human detection. Audi states this quite clearly. It is not meant to warn of animals, although sometimes it will highlight them in yellow. It will tone and turn red only if an actual human is seen by the system.
And then it will only turn red and sound the alarm if its computer algorithm computes that the human is moving into the path of the vehicle and that a collision is likely.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Wow! That is totally the opposite of what the dealer told me. My quick look at the manual missed this. I wonder why they have a pedestrian mode if it does not work with animals? By the way, so far it has not worked with people either! What is the mechanism by which it works? I thought is was thermal or infra-red which should work for all warm objects.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by six audis
Wow! That is totally the opposite of what the dealer told me. My quick look at the manual missed this. I wonder why they have a pedestrian mode if it does not work with animals? By the way, so far it has not worked with people either! What is the mechanism by which it works? I thought is was thermal or infra-red which should work for all warm objects.
What climate zone are you in? If temps are above 77 degrees (F) the system's warning function is inoperative---only the infrared screen works. Warning system isn't designed to work with animals due to the fact that they can't account for ALL animal silhouettes in the computer's library (my understanding anyway). You'd think they would at least account for deer/moose/horses, in as much as these exceedingly large animals pose the most danger for serious injury in a collision. That said, any animal large enough to emit a strong enough heat signal will show up in the infrared screen---but, again, with NO warning alert.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

What constitutes an "impending collision"? Anyone care to run a test? (I'd do it but down here in Florida we are presently out of the Tempetature range for it to sound alarm.)
Old 02-29-2012, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks! I see that you have night vision as well. Have you found it to be useful for anything? You obviously can not drive down the road staring at the little screen. I am in rural Wisconson with lots of deer and fox and such and an animal warning would be very useful.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by six audis
Thanks! I see that you have night vision as well. Have you found it to be useful for anything? You obviously can not drive down the road staring at the little screen. I am in rural Wisconson with lots of deer and fox and such and an animal warning would be very useful.
I assume you're referring to me :-) Well, yes, I drive in high density deer areas on eastern Long Island, and frequently glance down at the infrared screen focusing in on the side of the roadway looking for wandering "friends." Doesn't help at all when they jump out from the side weeds right in front of you, but sometimes it's helpful when they're grazing along the side of the highway when it's pitch black outside. Others have also commented on the screen's usefulness in heavy snow/fog conditions when straight-a-head visability is limited.

Certainly, it would be a significant improvement if Audi added large animal recognition to the warning system.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Night assist issues-help please

I own a 2014 Audi A7 and love it. Recently the night assist is not picking up people and alarm is not working. I looked in the MMI and all items are listed to come on. The top right still shows a line through the two icons. I seen a stream that indicated this will not work on warmer temperatures above 77 degrees F. However I tried in cooler temps still not working. I have cleaned the lens housing and still no function. This feature is great at disco when it’s hard to see people during that time.
Does anyone have a fix or had similar issues? Possible Vagcom fix?

Thank you....
Old 08-02-2018, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 2014A7car
I own a 2014 Audi A7 and love it. Recently the night assist is not picking up people and alarm is not working. I looked in the MMI and all items are listed to come on. The top right still shows a line through the two icons. I seen a stream that indicated this will not work on warmer temperatures above 77 degrees F. However I tried in cooler temps still not working. I have cleaned the lens housing and still no function. This feature is great at disco when it’s hard to see people during that time.
Does anyone have a fix or had similar issues? Possible Vagcom fix?

Thank you....
same problem, I’ll take it to the dealer since it’s CPO. This will take weeks but I’ll report back.

Quick Reply: Night vision assistant problems