A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Heat in 2014 A8 4.0T

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Part number auxiliary waterpump (2013 D4 S8)

They replaced an auxiliary waterpump specifically designed to push coolant through the heater core in the dash.

Part number for the auxiliary waterpump: 06D-121-601 (US 2013 Audi S8)
Old 11-16-2017, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Endured exact same condition at 43K miles; warranty work back in Feb 14 on my 2011 A8 w/the 4.2
Part #s probably different but the paperwork showed:
Heater core R&R --- 4HO-898-037
Regulating Valve R&R -- 4HO-121-671-D

As I remember, Dealer had helluva time with this repair -- dash basically all apart and also had to open up firewall engine side. Don't know how they pulled it off, but they cracked windshield in process and had to replace that too. Between 43K miles and 61K miles today, she's been back in shop 4 times for various coolant leaks: Coolant pump R&R; Recalled shut-off valve needed R&R twice; and now Coolant Pipe R&R -- UNACCEPTABLE! I'm just off CPO warranty but raising hell w/Audi North America on the rap sheet this car has ... ridiculous ... see if I get anywhere.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The shut off valve R&R...what exactly is that? I have a fault on mine that says “shorted shut off valve”, B10C815.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Certain 2011s and maybe 12s had recall for a coolant shut off valve. Run your VIN on Audi web site to check your car. Wiring harness and ECM could also be affected. This is a free repair dealer cannot back away from
Old 11-22-2017, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I checked. Mine had the coolant leaking valve thing replaced in October of last year. Is this the same as the fault that’s it’s displaying now?
Old 11-23-2017, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

If you know the dealer who did the recall work, I’d have them determine. Let them know about the recall, repair done and that you assume current code is related. No telling what they will say but worth a shot unless they expect arm or leg for diagnostic fee
Old 11-23-2017, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm on my second S8, my previous one was 2014, no heat issues. The current one, 2017, developed "no heat" after few months of purchase. No biggie during the summer, but last month's drop off for service reads (and I'm reading from the invoice) :

"Repair as per TSB.
136 W
1 4HO-122-063-A Breather"

For all it's worth those codes may help some other members, the problem is fixed under warranty, I'm happy.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Quick update on my particular situation for those poor future readers troubleshooting something similar. The problem has now become irritatingly intermittent. Shortly after my original post the heat magically started blowing again. Literally hadn't worked or shown any sign of warmth for weeks and then all of a sudden it's on like a champ again.

Then, you guessed it, it stopped working again. I setup an appointment to bring it to the dealer for troubleshooting and the morning I got in to drive over to drop it off, it started working on the drive there - seconds out of the driveway! I turned around and cancelled the appointment thinking everything was all set.

Fast forward a month or so and out of nowhere it stopped blowing again. One thing I've noticed is that it either works when you start it, or it doesn't. I parked it for a week and drove my truck instead, frustrated. Then, I got sick of having a nice car garaged because it's too cold to drive so I made another appointment to bring it in. Guess what? Jumped in, started driving to the dealer (one hour ago!), and would you believe it, the heater works again. I called and asked if I should bother bringing it in. The answer was no because it doesn't store a code and they won't be able to tell which valve is getting stuck. Whatever man, whatever.

The good/bad news is they have three other S8/A8 cars with the 'same' problem in today (Audi of Nashua, NH). The mechanic told the advisor I spoke with that there's a valve that sends coolant through the heater core sticking. I wasn't able to get a part number from her or any additional details. So, for now, I'm all set again. They were busy so I didn't push for details, but I do plan on calling back to see if I can proactively fix this thing.

Also, regarding below, we had bled the system using this method during my initial troubleshooting session to no avail.
Originally Posted by Nermb
I’m having the same exact problem on my 13 a8l 4.0t. I’m thinking air got trapped in the heater core. There’s a screw on the coolant lines running to it to bleed it under the plastic under the hood behind the engine (I believe it’s called the plenum). Haven’t got to try it out yet but I will do so Saturday once i receive some coolant in the mail cause I was all out and didn’t want to risk not having any replacement to top it up
Old 09-15-2019, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Did you solve it finally?

I am having the same issue with my S8 womdering if you arrived at an end point yet.
Old 10-12-2019, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Any updates?

Hello guys, I’m having the same problem with my A8 D4 2011! The problem is that the heating stop working only on driver side and it’s doing random time!
For example, when I turn on the engine 1st time in the morning the heating is working fine as it’s the auxiliary one. Once the coolant reach 90 degrees temperature and the heating is converting to coolant, stops working only on driver’s side!
I had the car in the garage and had the auxiliary water pump replaced and no result!
Please help as I’m tired of spending money and no fix !

Quick Reply: No Heat in 2014 A8 4.0T