A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not your typical winter tire question.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Not your typical winter tire question.....

I'm getting ready to drive from Philly to Vermont and it's in the high 50's and will travel at 75 MPH most of the way there and back. Once there, the car will sit most of the time. Once up in Vermont the temps will be lower and will be lower on Sunday all the way home.

I have two options,

First is to take the S8 which is currently shod with winter tires. I could change to the normal summer tire (ultra high performance summer tire).

The second is to take the 335 which is currently shod with DWS06's. I could change to a set of dedicated winter tires.

I'm thinking the warm temps at high speeds will not be good for the winter tires on the S8, or the 335.. I'm comfortable driving up on the summer tires..... just not sure what to expect on the way home.

I'm thinking the best option is to take the 335 with the all seasons.

What would you guys so?
Old 01-26-2017, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

You'll be better off with real snow tires. They claim there's snow in VT. Make sure the tires are fully aired up prior to departure. Tire Rack is recommending we add a couple PSI to the regular inflation values during the cold weather months.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewmr
I'm getting ready to drive from Philly to Vermont and it's in the high 50's and will travel at 75 MPH most of the way there and back. Once there, the car will sit most of the time. Once up in Vermont the temps will be lower and will be lower on Sunday all the way home.

I have two options,

First is to take the S8 which is currently shod with winter tires. I could change to the normal summer tire (ultra high performance summer tire).

The second is to take the 335 which is currently shod with DWS06's. I could change to a set of dedicated winter tires.

I'm thinking the warm temps at high speeds will not be good for the winter tires on the S8, or the 335.. I'm comfortable driving up on the summer tires..... just not sure what to expect on the way home.

What would you guys so?
Either winters or the DWS-06's. I live in Northern Cal. That means when I am in SF Bay Area 90-95% of winter miles, I am in a Mediterranean coastal climate where temp. rarely gets to freezing or even 40 at night. 50-60 is pretty common, and can see an occasional day into 70's. BUT, I go to Tahoe at 6800 feet, over 200 inches of snow a year on average, and one of two or three coldest places in US many days (nights) per Weather Service data. Way too much hassle to change wheels repeatedly.

Historically I have used dedicated winters, typically Dunlops M2's/M3's/3D's, and on the D3 W12 Pirelli Sottozero's. I would install on first Tahoe trip with snow on horizon (Thanksgiving or Christmas) and pull right after last planned one by around mid March. They work fine in Bay Area, but of course somewhat noisier. I would guesstimate I might get 8-10,000 miles out of them max. before tread is just too worn down for decent snow/ice traction. On prior A6, I later burned off a set over a summer. Still worked, but more noise. Remember performance winters are rated typically at least HR and sometimes VR, so they can deal with more running extremes than we will probably ever put them to in North America. I buy VR (155mph) ones. From having been in Northern Europe on the roads several times in last 5 years, I also started noticing some owners leaving winters on ALL year there, especially on cars in the cities as they get older.

On S8, I am trying a different approach w/ the tires. Conti DW summers on 20" OE wheels, but then DWS-06's in 275/40's for "winter" use. Yeah, I know about narrower tires for winter crud and all, but not that common a Tahoe condition. I planned to flip to Dunlop 3Ds (265/40's) if DWS-06's were not cutting it, but so far it is fine. Wife's Q5 has the Dunlop 3D's on it meantime. Being up in Tahoe in recent days, driving up in trailing edge of a storm at 20F, having night temp in teens, and dealing with ice and snow covered seriously sloped long driveway, all fine. Not really obvious so far the diff. from the prior Sottozero's from the D3 W12, nor from 3D's on Q5. Biggest thing I notice frankly is the crap S8 ground clearance and the low front bumper. Not good for berms and rough plowed parking lots. But I just keep eyes open, and hit raise choice on suspension occasionally. On ice I would still trust a dedicated winter more, but have yet to encounter a tough stopping situation where there has been an obvious difference. From having driven a variety of mediocre A/S's in the past with basic AWD that just don't cut it, I know when it falls down /fails in that category.

BTW, had to drive out of Tahoe one time when I got caught in an early October dead of night snowstorm in A6 4.2 with 255/40 summers. Got around chain control the back way. That was quite the experience--40-50 miles. No way could I recommend summers in any snow, ice or cold conditions. Actually my biggest fear probably up in Tahoe is being hit by some clown in an SUV who thinks AWD = invincible and is driving around on low profile summers with no clue about tire differences and cold traction. And when I look at some of them in the frozen parking lots, indeed the occasional ones are on summers. Scary. Presumably total bust too if involved in any accident where brakes and traction are in question.

For any doubters that we get "real" snow or winters in Tahoe (Truckee), well see the pics from this morning. S8 is in raised mode again to deal with latest berm at top of d/w slope.
Attached Thumbnails Not your typical winter tire question.....-fullsizerender-2.jpg   Not your typical winter tire question.....-fullsizerender-3.jpg   Not your typical winter tire question.....-fullsizerender-4.jpg  

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 01-26-2017 at 08:32 AM.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Either winters or the DWS-06's. I live in Northern Cal. That means when I am in SF Bay Area 90-95% of winter miles, I am in a Mediterranean coastal climate where temp. rarely gets to freezing or even 40 at night. 50-60 is pretty common, and can see an occasional day into 70's. BUT, I go to Tahoe at 6800 feet, over 200 inches of snow a year on average, and one of two or three coldest places in US many days (nights) per Weather Service data. Way too much hassle to change wheels repeatedly.

Historically I have used dedicated winters, typically Dunlops M2's/M3's/3D's, and on the D3 W12 Pirelli Sottozero's. I would install on first Tahoe trip with snow on horizon (Thanksgiving or Christmas) and pull right after last planned one by around mid March. They work fine in Bay Area, but of course somewhat noisier. I would guesstimate I might get 8-10,000 miles out of them max. before tread is just too worn down for decent snow/ice traction. On prior A6, I later burned off a set over a summer. Still worked, but more noise. Remember performance winters are rated typically at least HR and sometimes VR, so they can deal with more running extremes than we will probably ever put them to in North America. I buy VR (155mph) ones. From having been in Northern Europe on the roads several times in last 5 years, I also started noticing some owners leaving winters on ALL year there, especially on cars in the cities as they get older.

On S8, I am trying a different approach w/ the tires. Conti DW summers on 20" OE wheels, but then DWS-06's in 275/40's for "winter" use. Yeah, I know about narrower tires for winter crud and all, but not that common a Tahoe condition. I planned to flip to Dunlop 3Ds (265/40's) if DWS-06's were not cutting it, but so far it is fine. Wife's Q5 has the Dunlop 3D's on it meantime. Being up in Tahoe in recent days, driving up in trailing edge of a storm at 20F, having night temp in teens, and dealing with ice and snow covered seriously sloped long driveway, all fine. Not really obvious so far the diff. from the prior Sottozero's from the D3 W12, nor from 3D's on Q5. Biggest thing I notice frankly is the crap S8 ground clearance and the low front bumper. Not good for berms and rough plowed parking lots. But I just keep eyes open, and hit raise choice on suspension occasionally. On ice I would still trust a dedicated winter more, but have yet to encounter a tough stopping situation where there has been an obvious difference. From having driven a variety of mediocre A/S's in the past with basic AWD that just don't cut it, I know when it falls down /fails in that category.

BTW, had to drive out of Tahoe one time when I got caught in an early October dead of night snowstorm in A6 4.2 with 255/40 summers. Got around chain control the back way. That was quite the experience--40-50 miles. No way could I recommend summers in any snow, ice or cold conditions. Actually my biggest fear probably up in Tahoe is being hit by some clown in an SUV who thinks AWD = invincible and is driving around on low profile summers with no clue about tire differences and cold traction. And when I look at some of them in the frozen parking lots, indeed the occasional ones are on summers. Scary. Presumably total bust too if involved in any accident where brakes and traction are in question.

For any doubters that we get "real" snow or winters in Tahoe (Truckee), well see the pics from this morning. S8 is in raised mode again to deal with latest berm at top of d/w slope.
First pics we've (I've) seen of your S8!, so, I'm not familiar with the "embleming" quattroX, is yours a GmbH tuned or something?

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...rs-models.html

PS - I just replaced my Conti's at 15K miles!!!

Last edited by D3AeighT; 01-26-2017 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by D3AeighT
First pics we've (I've) seen of your S8!, so, I'm not familiar with the "embleming" quattroX, is yours a GmbH tuned or something?

Audi Quattro Becomes Audi Sport, Promises Eight New RS Models » AutoGuide.com News

PS - I just replaced my Conti's at 15K miles!!!
Ebay CmbH, aka the packet from China... A Gecko actually. See this for trivia context: Audi gecko logo and Audi quattro: What is the link? Prior W12 did came up on dealer computer as "Quattro GmbH" even though it was stock; I thought it may have to do with the Audi Exclusive interior. Since S8 has that too, yet to see on whenever I go in for first dealer service visit.

15K would still be 2x the Dunlop/Pirelli winters, plus fewer "should I/shoulda" pre- or post- swing season mountain runs. Among other reasons I am trying it: greater relative tread life, similar pricing, less debate about swing season swap outs. Plus I can burn off rest of year with a still reasonable tire when I decide they are sub par for winter grip--like 6/32 or so when I notice the winters drop off meaningfully, vs 2 or 3/32's I can take tires down to in late summer w/ almost no CA rain until mid Oct.

Effectively S8 Plus is already an RS8 in everything but the badging. Actually, hope they do keep it fairly exclusive and don't end up w/ a lot dime a dozen forgettable AMG and M stuff. Not really a fan of the "S line" lipstick and badging commodity stuff either. Hopefully they don't dilute the marque along the way to P&G shelf space biz school think.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 01-26-2017 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

I have two options,

What would you guys so?
Winter tires are designed to be able to run in warmer weather too. It won't explode or anything.

I do your drive NYC to VT and I would use the S8 with snow tires.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Don't worry about the snows. They'll be fine.

I have two options,

What would you guys so?
Looking back to 2000, we ran Dunlop SP9000 (weren't that at first, Dunlop changed to sp9000) stock on a 4.2A6Q for two winters here in Maryland. While they weren't the best they managed rather well in the snow. IIRC Audi called the tires all season but when it came time to replace them Dunlop called them high performance summer.

And BTW, NOTHING works on freezing rain in a Killington parking lot. I went to dinner one evening and came out to the car and it just spun the tires. Had to chain up to get back to the hotel.

I would recommend you have at least one set of cable chains or a set of one of those Spider wheel traction aids. They're kind of spendy, you could go to security tire chain for cable chains.