A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Number of Audi by geographical areas?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Number of Audi by geographical areas?

I guess some has to do with dealers, but I've noticed a big difference in make of cars on the road.
Dayton Ohio .. Few and far between even with a good dealer in town. Mostly Mercedes and BMW , mixed with Evelyn less jaguar.
Tampa fla. mostly Mercedes and BMW kind of a toss up with a very healthy mix of jaguar, masariti, Bentley, Lambroghinis aston Martin and Ferrari.
Lexington Ky. Lots of Audi , but again Mercedes and BMW each edging them out.
Houston Tx, Audi hands down the most luxury cars on the road. , it's like 25% are Audi , 25% everything else encluding Bentleys etc and 50% lower end.
Houston is starting to grow on me with everything here, all the Audi on the roads is just icing on the cake.
Seems like people are catching onto the value, ride and technology in these late model Audi's
What's the ratio where you live/ visit?
Old 10-12-2016, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

When I moved here from Russia back in 1998, I saw Audi as much as I see newer Lambo these days, maybe once per few weeks, and maybe it was the same person, I can't recall. Point being there was no Audi dealerships or even cars on the road that I remember. I lived in Santa Cruz, CA and later in Portland, OR. Currently I live in the bay area, there is at least 3 dealerships around and most Audis have plate frames from one of these. As far as ratio, at least daily on HWY 101 there seems to be more BMW/Mercedes/Lexus (Rx SUV), at least on the stretch between Redwood City and Mountain View.
Old 10-12-2016, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

FWIW, different question I think for make (Audi) on one hand and model (A8/S8) on other.

Here in SF Bay Area, D4s are rare. Audis are common, and lots of Q5's, Q7's, A and S4's and 5's. A6/S6 has diminished (owned those for years) some, and now some A7/S7/RS7's around. R8 sighting maybe once a month, usually in the "money" locales. D4's are much rarer than D3's were at a similar point in respective model lives--from having owned both. Now that Tesla's are all of a popular soccer mom car, fashion statement, Atherton Chevy and favored by many technorazzi (last one being an Audi market here too), the big Audi sedans seem to have done a very big fade. Q7 was a hit among the soccer mom stereotypes 5 or 6 years ago, then GL for a while (and still), then Model S and now X. In winter in the Sierra's, all but Audi and Subie sedans and wagons usually stayed in the flatlands for the winter, including most other German iron that is pretty common here. The kids and others with the Asia brand stuff would throw the chains on if they had no other ride. But with SUV's galore now, those SUV's and trucks are most of any local parking lot or road up there this days all winter. All the Euro brands represented, and lots of American iron too. More sedans have the AWD option now, so you see some other brands occasionally, often looking like it was just off the showroom floor--until 5 minutes into the road wash muck/first storm.

CA is reported as second biggest market for A8/D4 specifically, after Florida. The old geezer car stereotype. Indeed mine came from like a 75 or 80 year old in Newport Beach (SoCal) area who did the 3200 miles before deciding it was "too much car" and turned it back too dealer for a new model Q7. First time I found a "wound management" clinic business card in a used car... ;/ Sales guy told me that likewise were having a hard time moving many D4's in Newport, also noting the Tesla trend there. Dealership also housed both Porsche and Bentley in same overall very modern building, so lots of expensive product available.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 10-12-2016 at 02:11 PM.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'd almost forgot the soft unconnected riding Lexus. The 460's are still far between except in fla/ Tampa area. Ahh yes the Tesla are making a big surge across the board. I've been equally surprised at the number of free Tesla charging stations. They're in sometimes very unlikely cities where none may be titled, but always close to interstate. There's no reason now you can't drive coast to coast worry free of running dead batteries.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Garycw
There's no reason now you can't drive coast to coast worry free of running dead batteries.
As long as you plan your trip carefully. I would still be hesitant to try it. Also I like to be able to drive long distances without stopping. When I go to Seattle it's usually a nonstop trip (400 miles).
Old 10-13-2016, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

I was under the impression they would go 400+ mi. On a full charge. Those quick chargers take them back to 100% in about 30 min or so?
Old 10-13-2016, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Nope. Under 300 best case, driving like grandma. Speed, temperature and even wheel choice affect it too. Tesla site has a range calculator you can play with, or at least used to. Up into Sierras I mentioned climbing to 7200 feet over about 70 miles, watch the battery level drop. Most from Bay Area wouldn't chance it and stopped in Roseville well before climb to charge. 200-225 mile distance from most of Bay Area to much of Tahoe depending on exact start and stop points. Range has gone up some with later higher capacity battery packs, but so has power suck w/ bigger and multiple motors. Going back "downhill" is easier; similarly on gas motor at least 3 or 4 more MPG's covering same ground. I can make same trip with either D3 W12 or D4 S8 both ways on same tank. Even w/ smaller post facelift tank, 2015 S8 has more margin and better MPG's but either can do it comfortably.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 10-13-2016 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well I wasn't sure of the distance but assumed there were variances with conditions.
I think tesla is installing more and more quick charge stations though all the time. I would like to test drive one sometime and do a comparison of the felt torque between them and a higher end Porsche. I find it interesting how a lot of doctors doing residency and interns favor Porsches , while professors and deans lean toward Volvo and Sabb ?... Lol
Old 10-13-2016, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm out here in Metro-west Boston. There's actually quite a few D4s around. Mostly new and appear to be well optioned. In fact my car came from the original owners in the next town over. The other day I saw a D4 with some cool looking rims, after a minute I realized they were the same ones I have, cool moment.
Old 10-13-2016, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I rarely see Audis of any kind around here. The other day I was on lunch and I spotted a nice A6 C5. Then I realized it was my wife.

Quick Reply: Number of Audi by geographical areas?