A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Oil

I can't believe I'm starting a thread about this. But after exhaustive searches I can't find the information I'm looking for. I'm gathering all the supplies to change my oil in the new to me 4.0t and as I'm under CPO warranty I want to use the right oil. Went to the local(200 mile round trip) Walmart yesterday and they have a wide selection of oils. Unfortunately Castrol Edge Professional isn't one of them. I ended up buying this:

Castrol-03087-Extended-Performance-Synthetic

It didn't break the bank and I can always run it in my A6. I want to use the correct oil but even the Castrol website says to use the special formula only sold by Audi. Input is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why don't u change it at audi dealership how much r u saving by diy ?
Old 09-05-2016, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I did ask for input so I guess I opened myself up to this.

I prefer to do maintenance myself. I'm a very good mechanic and enjoy it. The other reason is my closest dealership is about 200 miles away. That makes it very inconvenient. The third reason is I'm cheap. Why pay someone to do something I enjoy doing? Seems stupid to me. I have no problem paying people to do things I don't like to do as long as they do a good job. But in the case of car maintenance I'd rather do it myself. If the factory warranty would pay for parts I'd rather do the work myself. But unfortunately that isn't how that part works.

Does anyone have any useful input?
Old 09-05-2016, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Duke, I'm as you, I do most everything myself on my cars. In my '13 S8, I used Mobil 1 OW-40 for my 1st diy oil change. It is VW 502/505 approved (502 needed per the manual) and even has a great rebate right now. I will change on approx. 5k intervals for this car and the filter every other. Saves roughly 85% off the cost of the dealer. I have not decided on an oil filter yet but most likely will order an OEM filter online at my next OC.
Old 09-05-2016, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Duke, you need an oil that meet VAG 502.00. Loads of oil available at retail in the USA meeting this spec. Plenty of choices from Castrol. I think the 5qt jug from W*mart at $24 is the most common. It's my preferred flavor.

The product you show in your link doesn't meet the spec. I guess you already determined that. It doesn't work in the A6 either. It won't meet the min. viscosity spec.
Old 09-05-2016, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

I use only Motul. I order it online. It comes the next day. 8100 X-clean+...5W30. And I use Mann filters. Both are changed every 5,000 miles.
Old 09-05-2016, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by the_duke
I can't believe I'm starting a thread about this. But after exhaustive searches I can't find the information I'm looking for. I'm gathering all the supplies to change my oil in the new to me 4.0t and as I'm under CPO warranty I want to use the right oil. Went to the local(200 mile round trip) Walmart yesterday and they have a wide selection of oils...
There is a place in the United States 100 miles from a WalMart? Hard to believe. I guess that's why David Letterman moved to Montana. Neil Young, too, IIRC.

While the above isn't helpful to you in any way, it's kinda slow around the forums today.

If I had new enough Audi (read: if I purchased mine at the local $tealership) I might let them give me the $250 oil change; they usually give loaners one up from the car one is having serviced, so theoretically I could get an R8. In any case, I'd take it to the old airport and have $200 worth of fun driving like a maniac.

@dildodil, most of the info exchanged on this site is DIY-related, get over it. Also, get well soon from the accident which evidently left you unable to type with your fingers.

I run Rotella straight 70 weight in my cars. My oil pressure is the same as my blood pressure was before the meds.

Ciao,
Tom
Old 09-05-2016, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by aTOMic

@dildodil, most of the info exchanged on this site is DIY-related, get over it. Also, get well soon from the accident which evidently left you unable to type with your fingers.

I run Rotella straight 70 weight in my cars. My oil pressure is the same as my blood pressure was before the meds.

Ciao,
Tom
My dealer chargers abt 130 with taxes for oil change, wont give me a loaner off course but if i did it myself it would still cost abt 70 to 80.

Im cheap too and save a buck anywhere i can but im not mechanically inclined but i think even if i was saving 40 or 50 over something so basic and running the risk of voiding warranty wouldn't be worth my time and all

Most of us here look for advice and to save money, not everyone has warranty or a money tree to be visiting dealer for everything that goes wrong with thw car, but im sure most of us would let the dealer do the work if the price is almost the same between diy and them and get warranty and peice of mind. OP case is diff as no dealer near him

200mi trip to look for oil or even buying oil is not a smart thing todo i think your problem is where you live lol just joking

Last edited by dildildil; 09-05-2016 at 05:20 PM.
Old 09-05-2016, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Any trouble finding top tier gas? Or do you have delivered to a tank?
I have fielded and non ethanol reg gas delivered
Old 09-05-2016, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Who owns a newer Audi and pays for oil changes? All my service and parts for routine maintenance is covered. Dealer picks up my car (50 miles from dealer), leaves me a loaner, does the service and brings my A8 back. What could be cheaper or easier?!

Quick Reply: Oil