AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d4-platform-discussion-190/)
-   -   P2198 code (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d4-platform-discussion-190/p2198-code-2964056/)

yaya 12-15-2018 11:40 AM

P2198 code

I replaced the o2 sensor but I still keep getting the code. Does any one know what the maf should be reading or is there any common issues when those code pops up

MP4.2+6.0 12-16-2018 07:37 AM

FWIW, don't assume folks walk around ready to talk five character codes memorized in their heads. Thus, spell out what the code is. If it is a simplistic OBDII reader, you may need to look it up--rather than have us each do it. You will get more and better answers that way. Also, searching on the code with the word Audi and/or for models that use the same motor can often give you some decent leads.

yaya 12-16-2018 11:33 AM

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...22f3a81f7e.jpg

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0 (Post 25249237)
FWIW, don't assume folks walk around ready to talk five character codes memorized in their heads. Thus, spell out what the code is. If it is a simplistic OBDII reader, you may need to look it up--rather than have us each do it. You will get more and better answers that way. Also, searching on the code with the word Audi and/or for models that use the same motor can often give you some decent leads.

I hope this helps

yaya 12-16-2018 03:16 PM

Ok I finally got the image to load the 2 fault codes are p2098 bank2 sensor 2 too lean and p2198 bank2 sensor 1 too rich

rally 12-16-2018 04:33 PM

What year and engine? Makes a difference.

yaya 12-16-2018 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by rally (Post 25249413)
What year and engine? Makes a difference.

2011 4.2l

MP4.2+6.0 12-16-2018 11:17 PM

When was your last tune up--plugs and air filter?

yaya 12-17-2018 03:24 AM

Just replaced both air filters and replaced the spark plugs back in May

rally 12-17-2018 08:39 AM

I have the same engine and year. Ran into the same problem at 90K miles and researched it to death. I have several friends who are Audi/Porsche techs that I can lean on for advice. Everyone said O2 sensors are rarely the problem and hard to properly diagnosis as a fault. This code is very generic and can mean many things as the pre-cat and post cat sensors are reading out of spec. The dealer maintained from the start it was the high pressure fuel pumps based on prior experience. I wanted to rule out potential items that I would have done anyway. Changed oil separator, plugs and filter first go around. No change.
Noticed an increasing sulfur smell from tail pipe and both banks ultimately read the same errors. I finally gave in and spent the big bucks to change out high pressure pumps even though the car ran fine except for the codes. I should have done the pumps myself to save a lot of cash). Problems went away but in the run up to solving the problem I ruined the cats filling them with too much raw fuel when running too rich.
Over time the cats cleared out and things are back to normal. I've read other people with the same problem on the 2011-2012 - 4.2's
Hope this helps. It's all I know!

yaya 12-17-2018 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by rally (Post 25249666)
I have the same engine and year. Ran into the same problem at 90K miles and researched it to death. I have several friends who are Audi/Porsche techs that I can lean on for advice. Everyone said O2 sensors are rarely the problem and hard to properly diagnosis as a fault. This code is very generic and can mean many things as the pre-cat and post cat sensors are reading out of spec. The dealer maintained from the start it was the high pressure fuel pumps based on prior experience. I wanted to rule out potential items that I would have done anyway. Changed oil separator, plugs and filter first go around. No change.
Noticed an increasing sulfur smell from tail pipe and both banks ultimately read the same errors. I finally gave in and spent the big bucks to change out high pressure pumps even though the car ran fine except for the codes. I should have done the pumps myself to save a lot of cash). Problems went away but in the run up to solving the problem I ruined the cats filling them with too much raw fuel when running too rich.
Over time the cats cleared out and things are back to normal. I've read other people with the same problem on the 2011-2012 - 4.2's
Hope this helps. It's all I know!

thanks for the heads up about the pumps. Do you know of any reputable dealers or techs in the Chicago/Milwaukee area