A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger Lumbar Inflates Exactly 9 Minutes After Start-up

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 09:22 AM
D4 in PA

Received 122 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Passenger Lumbar Inflates Exactly 9 Minutes After Start-up

Time and again, my wife will ask me "how long have we been in the car?" and I will check my trip computer. It will read :09. She'll say "my lumbar just went off again"
Anyone else experience this? Should I be worried? Should she just ride in the back seat??
Old 12-05-2018, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TinyElviss
Time and again, my wife will ask me "how long have we been in the car?" and I will check my trip computer. It will read :09. She'll say "my lumbar just went off again"
Anyone else experience this? Should I be worried? Should she just ride in the back seat??
It inflates fully, or just to where the pre-set level should be? When you get in the car and turn on the ignition, try holding down the memory pre-set on the door for several seconds and see if that activates all of your seat settings.

What year is the car and how many miles? Has the battery ever been replaced? Any codes returned from a scan? My first thought on weird electronic gremlins is the battery. A dying battery can manifest some weird things in these complex cars.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

My passenger seat inflates at what I thought was a random time, I started a threat about it a few months back. It’s like the car suspects a collision is imminent and tights up or something. My wife always calls it out .. because she likes to diss the S8 ha
Old 12-06-2018, 02:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get similar seat adjustments, at seemingly more random times, on the driver seat. It commonly happens with the side bolsters, and occasionally on the lumbar support. The dealer tells me nothing is wrong. I’ve started to just ignore it, but I would love an answer.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TinyElviss
I've never timed it but it happens in my 2015 S8 as well. I notice it and I can hear the passenger seat developing a mind of its own occasionally.

Thanks, now I will be logging it too.

Yes, put her in the back and throw on a limo driver's hat. Just tell her it's role-playing.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have similar when it just randomly decides to change the side supports! I have wondered if it's to do with key coding but I pretty much always use the same key. On that note does anyone know how to recode the key to a particular seat setup so it always defaults back to that state when you get in the car with that key?
Old 12-06-2018, 03:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The side bolsters on the seats are supposed to automatically deflate (per the manual) when you open the driver's door. It says they reflate "when you begin driving". I guess it's possible that the vehicle will inflate them after a set period of time once the car is in D. I tend to press the seat memory button when I start the car to make sure all the seat settings are activated, that said I still notice the side bolsters inflating further from time to time while driving.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 2014 had random inflation issues with bolster. The dealer did a software update to account for it. It had something to do with automatic altitude / pressure adjustment. I believe the update told it to be less aggressive and chill out on the adjustment. I do commute over a small "mountain". The update cleared it up for me.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

13 here, I take naps in my car sometimes and so have just the ignition on. I'll notice the same as everyone above, passenger seat starts making all sorts of adjustments by itself.
Old 12-25-2018, 04:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a similar issue with my seat bottom bolsters and side lumbar supports. On my way to work (~20min), I'll feel both of them 'tighten up' a bit, like they lost some air pressure and re-adjusted.

I have no major hills or altitude change. They will continue to do this through out my driving trip. I never thought to time the 'pressure applies'; I'll try to do this and see if there is a pattern.

I've mentioned it to the dealer also and they also claim no codes and nothing is wrong.

It's ultimately a first world problem so I'm not going to complain too much about this one.

Quick Reply: Passenger Lumbar Inflates Exactly 9 Minutes After Start-up