A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

placement of jack stands

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 03:48 PM

Received 155 Likes on 112 Posts

Please forgive me for reviving an old thread but this is the only one related to jack stand location for a D4 that I could find here. Like the OP I got one side of the vehicle up with my floor jack at the designated lift point but from there I'm unsure where I could place a jack stand to keep the car up for an extended amount of time.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:21 AM

Received 155 Likes on 112 Posts

Would someone be kind enough to share some pictures of suggested jack stand locations for underneath the car? I understand where to place a floor jack to raise the vehicle, just need to know the where to place a stand for extended lifting of the vehicle. Hoping to avoid being crushed under 4500 lbs due to a cheap Harbor Freight floor jack ;-)

RC
Old 04-02-2019, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

FWIW, I have struggled with this generally for probably 20 years of Audis now. Sort of since the belly pans came out. Thus, first step for me for serious jack stand placement--beyond just back up for floor jack in one corner--is to pull the belly pan and then assess. Painful as extra step, but I think likewise wishful thinking there is some hidden Audi sure fire good place for them. Where I usually end up are one of the main lower arm suspension bolt up points, but those are situational often based on curves to parts underneath as well as head of jack stand. On C5 and D3 that was at an area near lower rear arm on each side, but also where I put jack head so it becomes chicken and egg. Rear also seems harder on my (sport diff) D4. Diff cases used to be iron, without cooling fins and bolted to a steel subframe so I could jack rear end there. Not any more--looks more fragile area in general

I also have both flat jack pads and a lower body crease one to use with jack head itself at modern Audi std. jack points.

For heavy work that is one end only and no wheels off, I have ramps. Race Ramps are current ones. Bulky to store, both those are light unlike old clunky stamped steel ones. I do brake jobs one corner at a time, and bleed for final step. W/ one wheel off, I use old standby of pushing the wheel + tire out of way under the body.

Sorry, won't be easy answers here, let alone more than a small number of D4 owners (so far) who do a lot of wrenching.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 04-02-2019 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've decided to invest in a new set of jack stands specifically to work on Audis. In my case, I've purchase Jackpoint Jack Stands, which allows you to lift the car using the standard lift points then position the jack stand in the same space.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TheoRR
I've decided to invest in a new set of jack stands specifically to work on Audis. In my case, I've purchase Jackpoint Jack Stands, which allows you to lift the car using the standard lift points then position the jack stand in the same space.
they work well. worth the wait in the end.
Old 06-12-2023, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

This is the only jack stand post in the A8 D4 forum. Once I get the belly pan cover off, what is the best suitable place to put a jack stand on the front of our cars?

My buddy says that he usually puts jack stands on lower control arms but out control arms run at an angle.

Advice would be appreciated, pictures would be bomb.com

Thanks
Old 06-12-2023, 02:10 PM
Flagship addict

Received 116 Likes on 95 Posts

Put them on the body rails.....the owners manual says where to put them. Do not put them on the arms if you want to live
Old 06-12-2023, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Does that mean anywhere along the body rails? Because I see the pad where you are supposed to put the jack. I've never seen the underside of the body nicely finished like that. It looks like whatever is there will get crushed by a jack stand anywhere but the pad. Please advise and keep in mind that I am going to take the belly pan off.

Even my buddy who has mechanical experience is like shaking his head and not sure but has advised me to be sure before I set it down. I currently have the back of the car up. Tomorrow I'm going to take the belly pan down. Should only take me 2 hours or so. lol.
Old 06-12-2023, 03:06 PM
Flagship addict

Received 116 Likes on 95 Posts

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...-jack-2843367/

This is a D3 but it's similar, I would suggest ramps for the front if you aren't going to dual jack the car and set stands under the subframes. I have a lift so I haven't really had to try this personally....
The following users liked this post:
statgator (06-12-2023)
Old 06-12-2023, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

I will check things out tomorrow after I get the belly pan off.

Hopefully the D4 has the same piece of steel with the hump in it. I will report back.

Thanks

Quick Reply: placement of jack stands