AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d4-platform-discussion-190/)
-   -   PLEASE help , rear sunroofs sunshade stuck (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d4-platform-discussion-190/please-help-rear-sunroofs-sunshade-stuck-2969852/)

nick@ion-e.com 04-01-2019 06:47 PM

PLEASE help , rear sunroofs sunshade stuck

I have a 2014 Audi A8L that is literally 1k miles out of warranty.

I have the dual sunroofs, my rear seat sunroof sunshade is stuck open.

The front sunroof shade works perfectly. Both sunroofs themselves work perfectly.

No matter which button I use to try to close the shade, (either button on the rear doors, or the button in the front) all you hear is a click up in the headliner.

I have tried pushing and pulling, nothing. I pulled the fuse, nothing. I ran a full VCDS scan and it throws no codes.

My daughter has bad BAD light sensitivity and I really need that rear sunroofs shade to close.

It does not budge,at all. It is not sucked too far in so I do not think it bound up or anything. The car is a 1 owner, meticulously maintained, and that shade was hardly ever even used.

Please please please, any troubleshooting or ideas?

I was told that the rear and front roofs both use the same motor for the sunshades so if that is in fact true, how would the rear one not work?

A8CT 04-02-2019 01:36 AM

I have the same setup on mine but haven’t done any work to it. For now, I would pick up one of those baby window shades with the suction cups just to buy yourself some time until you figure out a plan. First thing I would want to do is get power directly to the wiring that controls that partcular shade. Since you’re saying it uses the same motor then I mean the output going to the rear 1/2. That would be my method of testing but I don’t know how that is done.

A long time ago, I replaced he headliner in my D2 and it wasn’t nearly as daunting as I thought it would be. It was actually pretty easy. If that’s “Step 1”, I would not be too freaked out if you are a moderate DIY guy.

laurent0613 04-02-2019 02:00 AM

No, there are 2 sunroof roller blind different control units / motors for the front and the back.
It's a real difficult one what you have...

It implies removal of the front and back glass panels.
Blinds are moved thanks to cables.
You might have a broken or loose one, but I don't really understand why you cannot pull it...

I presume the service position is not working either :

–Open sunroof sun blind (rear) completely.
–Press and hold “REAR MODE” button.
–Press button for sunroof sun blind into "open" position and hold.
–After approx. 10 seconds, sunroof sun blind (rear) will move to service position.

Blinds is I'm not mistaken are also spring loaded, but I don't know if it is relevant or not.

Maybe a video with sound would help us understand more ?

nick@ion-e.com 04-02-2019 08:51 PM

THANK YOU! I did not know there was a service position, I will try this tomorrow when it is light out (and not freezing) however I assume since it does not even attempt to budge when I press or hold the button for it to move, that the service procedure will not move it either.

Turns out the previous owner had it replaced only 5k ago (but almost 3 years now) So I am hopeful that Audi of America will give me a good faith fix for free. The dealer said they replaced the exact rear roof shade that I am having issues with, it should not malfunction after such little use I would assume.

I tried to take a vide but you can not hear it. It makes the slightest "click" noise in the headliner area, assume it is the noise of the motor getting the signal to open, I really think it is just stuck and will not move because of the fail safe safety mechanism. Perhaps it is "bunched up"

Do you think trying the service position could possibly break something, if it tries to force it to open itself when it is caught or something of the sort?

Originally Posted by laurent0613 (Post 25297634)
No, there are 2 sunroof roller blind different control units / motors for the front and the back.
It's a real difficult one what you have...

It implies removal of the front and back glass panels.
Blinds are moved thanks to cables.
You might have a broken or loose one, but I don't really understand why you cannot pull it...

I presume the service position is not working either :

–Open sunroof sun blind (rear) completely.
–Press and hold “REAR MODE” button.
–Press button for sunroof sun blind into "open" position and hold.
–After approx. 10 seconds, sunroof sun blind (rear) will move to service position.

Blinds is I'm not mistaken are also spring loaded, but I don't know if it is relevant or not.

Maybe a video with sound would help us understand more ?

nick@ion-e.com 04-08-2019 09:41 PM

Tried that maintenance mode you mentioned, still did not work :-(

MVoorhees 04-09-2019 05:36 AM

I have had very good luck with pervious cars (Cadillac especially) going to the dealer even though you are just out of warranty. GM was willing to offer like 90% of the repair I needed done as good will as the car was just out of warranty. I might see if Audi has a similar offer, it can't hurt to ask

nick@ion-e.com 04-10-2019 10:16 PM

Good minds think alike :-). I actually called Audi of America Monday and asked for that. The fact the previous owner had it replaced less than 5k miles ago, it should not be messed up again. This is my 6th Audi, still have my A4 b8 and my A6 c7, I would hope Audi will do a good faith fix for free or close to it, to try and keep me a lifelong Audi owner.

Originally Posted by MVoorhees (Post 25301019)
I have had very good luck with pervious cars (Cadillac especially) going to the dealer even though you are just out of warranty. GM was willing to offer like 90% of the repair I needed done as good will as the car was just out of warranty. I might see if Audi has a similar offer, it can't hurt to ask

laurent0613 04-11-2019 04:38 AM

Translation? Will they fix it for you free of charge?
It looks like the first job was not correctly done...

nick@ion-e.com 04-16-2019 06:37 PM

Very p*ssed off now after them charging me 289 bucks just to tell me the motor for the shade is shot, they want to charge a ridiculous 1900 bucks to replace it! 1900 for a damn sunshade motor! 8xx for the motor and the rest for labor. What a joke

Originally Posted by laurent0613 (Post 25301952)
Translation? Will they fix it for you free of charge?
It looks like the first job was not correctly done...

laurent0613 04-16-2019 11:52 PM

Ridiculous, not the price but the attitude of this dealer.

Replaced by the shop only 5K prior the new issue and now motor dead?
Even if it was done 3 years ago they should have shown some concern about the quality of the work done at that time and offered you a signifiant drop in price as good will gesture.
Lame.

800€ for the motor is expected I'm afraid. OEM parts are extremely expensive, and this is how companies like Audi are making profit.
Luckily we also have alternatives to the dealer.
You can easily find online the part you need :

According to ETKA Audi A8 2014
You need to source part 4H4-959-591

I just found one online for $256 from Casper, WY
Of course you will need a full day to replace it, but it is very doable.

BTW, I also have an A8L with pano roof.
My car was part of a recall for the roof sealants. Check if your car was not part of this recall too. Water could have leaked in the cabin and shorted the motor...
It would then be covered by warranty (I presume)
Use this Link to TSB Audi NA