A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible New Owner...Help with Decision

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 08:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible New Owner...Help with Decision

Hello everyone,
ive been looking to take the plunge into the luxury sedan market for sometime and really enjoyed driving my buddies 14 A8 4.0t as it seemed very driver centered. Anyway, I finally found a ‘15 A8 4.0t in the color combination and options I like. The mileage is 32k. I had Audi do a PPI and they said essentially everything looks good except for: 1. Has after market windshield so the HUD is slightly blurry and may throw off the front/side parking sensors. 2. Needs a new battery. 3. Will need the 35k mile service. The car has a clean title, but was reported to have unibody/frame damage on the left rear wheel housing, but the technician said he sees no signs of damage and/or any sign of previous repair work. So asking his opinion he said he would purchase the car due to the reasons (1-3). He went on to say that the windshield/calibration would run around $2500, the battery around $800, and the 35k miles service $1200.
As a noob I’m wondering if any of these identified issues could be done at a local mechanic shop that specializes in German vehicles. Plus, I don’t think I’d need to replace the windshield if I’m not planning on using those functions. Any advice? I’m getting a pretty great deal on the vehicle.
thank you for the input. Also, would anyone suggest purchasing extended warranty through Audi?
Old 03-31-2019, 12:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

You wrote the technician recommended to purchase the car due to the reasons (1-3)? Since reasons 1-3 are all negatives, please clarify. Did you get a carfax on the vehicle? Also, what type of "great deal" are you getting on the vehicle? If the dealership is giving you an unbelievable deal, I would be wary. Maybe they are compensating for the damage reported to the car or maybe there is something else? Other considerations... there are some common issues with these cars which I wish I would have researched and known about prior to purchasing my S8. Maybe you have been lurking on the forums and are already aware but in case you aren't, here are some of the major ones...

Turbo failure... Currently the biggest problem is turbo failure due to a poorly designed restrictive oil strainer screen. The initial oil strainer design was a fine mesh screen which becomes clogged over time restricting oil to the turbos and boom, turbos die prematurely. The oil screen was modified to a grate style which is freer flowing but that was not until model year 2018(?) I think. Since the screen sits in the valley of the engine underneath the crankcase cover, it is not an easy thing to replace. Look on this forum and other forums and you will see that this issue is the most widely viewed and commented on for the 4.0T motor. Also attaching the TSB which covers this topic.

Downpipe vibration issue 1k/3k (see attached TSB)...

Coolant pipe leakage at turbos (see attached recall notice)...

Oil air separator failure leading to another redesigned part (see attached TSB)...

Fuel line recalls (see attached recall notices)...

Go here with the VIN and see if any recalls are outstanding on the vehicle > Audi Recall Services by Vehicle Identification Number

If I were you, I would provide all relevant TSBs and recalls and negotiate fixing all of the above and purchase an extended warranty. These are wonderful cars and I absolutely love my S8 but they are also extemely complex machines and a simple repair can easily run you several thousand or into 5 figures for blown turbos.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Recall 20AV - Fuel Line.pdf (494.4 KB, 216 views)
File Type: pdf
TSB 2044640 - Turbo Failure.pdf (307.5 KB, 101 views)
Old 03-31-2019, 06:37 AM
D4 in PA

Received 122 Likes on 86 Posts

Yeah, well your biggest issue will be once you have owned this car, you will be spoiled for the rest of your driving life. There are so few cars that can compare with the ride, interior, seating position, engine whoompf, precise handling, amenities and style that you'll be hooked forever. You will always be in the top 1% of cars in the parking lot. You will have to get used to strangers coming up to you saying "nice car."

The turbo failure is a primary concern as it is a five-digit fix if you have to pay out-of-pocket. A current poll on this site for the '15 model year shows 3 out of 19 respondents as having blow turbos (it may actually be 4 of 19 as I believe a member had his turbos go after he voted "no"). Unfortunately this is not a large enough representative sample to make statistical conclusions from, but the threat is real. If you live in a CARB state you do have a 7 year/ 70,000 mile "hidden" warranty that will cover the turbos (do a little more searching on our forum). Digging into V8 turbo engines on competing car forums will reveal they have their own peculiar engineering pitfall$$ as well.

Also be aware your highway gas mileage will probably fall 2-4 mpg short of advertised. Again some searching will reveal more info on this. Since the engine performs so magnificently, the real-world mpg numbers really align with competing cars with similar engines and sticker prices.

In the grand scheme of having your cake and eating it too, balancing a performance machine with a limousine ride is an engineering marvel and nightmare at the same time. Those of us who have taken the plunge are willing to accept that Mr. Hyde may be hiding in the closet.
Old 03-31-2019, 08:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you for the response.

QUOTE=spdemon91;25296815] You wrote the technician recommended to purchase the car due to the reasons (1-3)?

Was a typo, the technician said he wouldn’t purchase for reasons 1-3 due to the cost (unless I was set on color combo/options). I provided him with the carfax (damage reported...NO accidents) and he paid special attention to those areas. Everything looked fine and he said regarding the “unibody/frame” damage to the whee hosing he and the service manager were a little perplexed because all parts are original and there is no evidence of previous damage (suspension, etc)- maybe cosmetic? Carfax shows previous damage reported, but no accidents and the AutoCheck shows no accidents. All TSBs have been addressed.

Regarding “the deal” it’s has all options except night vision and B&O sounds system. Has the upgraded seats, Alcantara headliner, rear entertainment package. ‘15 A8 4.0t 32,200 miles for $33500. Under factory warranty through the end of next month with option to purchase extended warranty through Audi.
Old 03-31-2019, 08:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by TinyElviss
Yeah, well your biggest issue will be once you have owned this car, you will be spoiled for the rest of your driving life.
Lol, my buddy is going through this now. He said the same thing- misses his A8.

If you live in a CARB state you do have a 7 year/ 70,000 mile "hidden" warranty that will cover the turbos (do a little more searching on our forum).

Would repairs be covered if I purchase an extended warranty through Audi?
Old 03-31-2019, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Ocean
Lol, my buddy is going through this now. He said the same thing- misses his A8.

If you live in a CARB state you do have a 7 year/ 70,000 mile "hidden" warranty that will cover the turbos (do a little more searching on our forum).

Would repairs be covered if I purchase an extended warranty through Audi?
Be careful parsing the turbo CARB warranty. I think the close reading answer is the car had to first be sold in a CARB state. Thus, you don't look at where you or car currently are, but rather back into history of where car was first sold. And if you are living in a non-CARB state now with a car that originated in a CARB state, I would expect both less familiarity with the warranty from the local dealer, and maybe some bobbing and weaving by Audi trying not to cover.

You need to always read the terms of a warranty for your extended warranty question. The exclusionary ones are easier--you read the basic description and then look down the list of exclusions. The other type requires you to wade through the smokescreen of endless things that rarely break within the coverage period and find the ones you are concerned about--drivetrain including turbos, MMI system, HVAC, lots of electric accessories, etc. Since turbo's go with drivetrain, that is likely to be included. But you really have to read to be sure the inclusionary (narrower) ones don't just say internal engine parts and say exhaust manifold (only) but not include the turbos, and so on. Warranty companies are not your friends when it comes to making a profit and reducing actual claims paid. But they write nice marketing materials to give you warm fuzzies--until you notice the fuzzies of the language too on careful reading. If you want a lot of coverage in general, look at the exclusionary ones, often called Platinum level or something like that. They will inevitably be the priciest too.

Windshield strikes me as a kludge or unknowledgeable prior owner--you can often get OE glass if you press for it w/ insurance on a newer car. If you have collision + comprehensive and it gets broken again, that one can be rectified in due course for your gas deductible. Mine is $100. Just got OE replace on my 2013 Q5 at 65K miles, and previously got it on my D4 S8.

No idea on the car rear area--could be a wheel trip/curb strike in bad weather I guess if there was no body damage. Strikes me as the vagaries of CarFax data, who pays whom in the shadows for the data and how sourced, maybe coupled with a (different?) shop that doesn't report its repair work. If its fixed, its fixed other than the smudge now in the record.

Battery easy, and $800 is the full boat gold plated dealer replace. Not clear here if a test actually said it needed one, or just parts hyping. Audi battery ave. life is probably 4 years on shortest end and 7-9 on longer, subject to corner cases both ways. It lives in trunk under spare, so a lot better protected from hot and cold than underhood mounts. Indy 35K tune and service check should be meaningfully less than dealer. Just need a good local shop who is experienced with bigger Audis, at least for routine maintenance, required fluid and parts specs, etc. NOT a Jiffy Lube hack job to be clear.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 03-31-2019 at 08:51 AM.
Old 03-31-2019, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mr.Ocean
All TSBs have been addressed.
The recall lookup will tell you if there are any outstanding recalls on the vehicle but will not tell you any information regarding whether technical service bulletins (TSBs) have been addressed. I doubt the previous owner went through the expense of digging into the motor to replace the restrictive oil screen, check valve and oil separator with the revised parts. I just went through this on my vehicle and you will see my write-up in the blown turbo poll thread. I believe the downpipes may have been a recall up to a certain point so it is possible that the revised flex joints may have been installed? Other owners may chime in on that one.
Old 03-31-2019, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by spdemon91
The recall lookup will tell you if there are any outstanding recalls on the vehicle but will not tell you any information regarding whether technical service bulletins (TSBs) have been addressed. I doubt the previous owner went through the expense of digging into the motor to replace the restrictive oil screen, check valve and oil separator with the revised parts. I just went through this on my vehicle and you will see my write-up in the blown turbo poll thread. I believe the downpipes may have been a recall up to a certain point so it is possible that the revised flex joints may have been installed? Other owners may chime in on that one.
Flex pipes never recalled. You need to flag it during warranty for 4/50, CPO or otherwise. TSB's only apply to warranty period when you read the fine print of how administered/considerd by dealers.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 03-31-2019 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks MP4. Knew there was something about them. So it is possible previous owner addressed this as a warranty issue. If it was addressed, I imagine this would show up in the service records from the dealer. That is another thing any new owner should obtain to determine warranty work on a car. Not sure how detailed carfax is. Dealer service records however should reflect all warranty work performed.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

I believe the maintenance interval until 50k miles is 10k miles oil change and inspection only. @30k miles, all fluids should be changed already.

Quick Reply: Possible New Owner...Help with Decision