A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible New Purchase, 2012 A8L Yes/no

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 03:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible New Purchase, 2012 A8L Yes/no

In the midst of buying my first audi, and I was hoping to gather feedback. I'm going for a 2012 A8L 4.2. It has 63k on the clock at a purchase price of 22k.
Thoughts?
Old 01-09-2019, 03:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

oh, has great service history too.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:39 AM
D4 in PA

Received 122 Likes on 86 Posts

What's stopping you? How long do you plan to keep it? My '09 with the 4.2 ran perfectly until I traded it at 105k....
Old 01-09-2019, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Nothing “stopping” me really, just slightly nervous as this beautiful vehicle is about 7 years young and I just want to get an opinion on the purchase. I’m thinking of owning the vehicle for a solid 5 years if not more.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:52 AM
D4 in PA

Received 122 Likes on 86 Posts

My experience was the repair bills started to add up after about 95k miles, and that is what the dealer said would probably happen.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

That gives me about two years before I need to find a new ride....better start looking now! What will it be...?
Old 01-09-2019, 11:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 2012 (standard wheel base) 4.2 has over 90k on it now. If not for the combination of CPO coverage and me doing much of the service myself, the cost to own would be above average - but probably not out of line with other cars in this segment. Having it serviced out of pocket at a dealer is pricey (e.g. $1500 for front brakes, IIRC).

When I got the car (with 41k on it), one of the cats had to be changed under warranty. I'm not sure what that repair would have cost. For wear items, I've changed front and rear brakes and rotors. The rears require investment in a RossTech cable and software to position the electronic parking brake properly.

Upon delivery, the car had unusually bad heat which soon stopped working entirely. This required replacing a valve, which I've read is somewhat common - and this was performed by the dealer under warranty.

I've performed all the services and oil changes. They aren't difficult to do - and people here will offer plenty of guidance if you decide to try for yourself.

Recently, I had to replace the PCV valve, which cost $150 (dealer price) but is an easy swap on the 4.2's. This is considered a wear item.

There have only been two things that have failed that aren't considered wear items:
1. The aux coolant pump for heat circulation had an electrical issue which filled the car with smoke through the AC vents. This would have been a $600 repair, but Audi of America covered it (even though, but maybe because, I was one month past my CPO expiration).
2. The passenger front center armrest doesn't adjust any longer. This was not covered under CPO, and I have no idea how to fix it.

I would buy this car again (and again)! I once had an A8L TDI as a loaner, and I would buy that as well. If I were unable to perform service myself, I'd look into a service plan.

For a 6 year old car, it still gets compliments from most people who ride in it. Even though the 4.2 is the base engine for that year, it gets to 60 in a hurry. I'm not saying I wouldn't love the acceleration of a 4.0T - just that it's probably not necessary.

Take my positive comments as coming from someone who's a bit subjective, though. Since I saw the first one in a dealership in the late 90's, I've wanted an A8. This being my first, I'll quite fond of it.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We had a 2007 base model A8 that we bought with 55K miles in 2010. Drove it about 70K miles. We, especially my wife, liked the car a lot (and with a unique color of platinum beige pearl, we received many compliments on the car). I did much of the maintenance on the car, including brakes, rotors, oil, etc. etc. It was starting to show some signs of component deterioration, so I searched for and found a D4 model base A8 in the same color. Found a '13 with 21K miles in June..

Purchased the '13, then sold the '07 to a dealer. Now we, especially my wife, LOVE this car. Due to my age (81) and some medical issues, I may do less service work on this car. Considering a warranty but haven't pulled that trigger yet. This one has all the bells and whistles we could want.

Last edited by Gary Knox; 01-10-2019 at 06:52 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm mid-90k miles on mine, I've put 30k on myself. Been a great car and I've done most of the work myself.

Only things I handed over were a pesky coolant line and the front rearward control arms that I bought and had a local shop install.

Agree with other posters commenting on compliments. It's so under the radar that people get in expecting just another car, but are sitting in a luxury yacht.

Would buy again.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I also have a 2012 A8L 4.2L -- bought with 45K miles in mid 2016, now at 65K. The car has been great. Only issues were things that many others have had with their Audi models -- PCV (under 50K), front suspension creaking (under 50K) and a/c recharge (65K). Other expenses have been general maintenance for annual checkups, oil change, rotation, etc. The 4.2L engine is well regarded.

Quick Reply: Possible New Purchase, 2012 A8L Yes/no