A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quietest riding 20 inch tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quietest riding 20 inch tires

Looking to replace the tires on my A8L 2015 with factory 20 inch factory wheels. My wants, "a quiet ride" over the current P Zeros I have now. I'm in my late 60s so I am not looking for sporty needs or high speed ratings. I am looking for a quiet ride full set of tires.
Ideas ?
Just bought this car and the tires are driving me nuts with the road noise. Tires are fairly new but just LOUD. The car is as silent as a vault except for the tire noise going down the road. I talked to Tire Rack and checked their recommendations and found them to be quite off when comparing the 275 line up to what they said I needed brand and specific tire. When a tire on their site I've looked at has a 8.8 comfort/quiet ride rating and they are telling me to get a 7.4 rated tire I have concerns with their thoughts.
I live in the desert SW, 112 today, but do drive to Prescott (cold & snow winters) to see the kids. I Wont change my tires to go visit the family for the weekend on clean roads up there.
I have looked at most everything out there and in all honesty money is not the factor, the ride is. I realize 10 plus inches across the tire tread will always have some noise but I am sure their are tires out there that run a lot quieter than the current set on the car.
PS: This is a great Forum for most needs on the Audi vehicles. Thanks to all for sharing their insights and helpings

Old 07-12-2019, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My experience across several marks is that Michelin are the quietest tires. I've had P Zeros and they are horrible IMO. My choice has been Michelin Pilot Sports if they are available in the size I need. I've found that the noise rating on TireRack.com is helpful when shopping. I too, am older and need quiet tires.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Novalondon
Looking to replace the tires on my A8L 2015 with factory 20 inch factory wheels. My wants, "a quiet ride" over the current P Zeros I have now. I'm in my late 60s so I am not looking for sporty needs or high speed ratings. I am looking for a quiet ride full set of tires.
Ideas ?
Just bought this car and the tires are driving me nuts with the road noise. Tires are fairly new but just LOUD. The car is as silent as a vault except for the tire noise going down the road. I talked to Tire Rack and checked their recommendations and found them to be quite off when comparing the 275 line up to what they said I needed brand and specific tire. When a tire on their site I've looked at has a 8.8 comfort/quiet ride rating and they are telling me to get a 7.4 rated tire I have concerns with their thoughts.
I live in the desert SW, 112 today, but do drive to Prescott (cold & snow winters) to see the kids. I Wont change my tires to go visit the family for the weekend on clean roads up there.
I have looked at most everything out there and in all honesty money is not the factor, the ride is. I realize 10 plus inches across the tire tread will always have some noise but I am sure their are tires out there that run a lot quieter than the current set on the car.
PS: This is a great Forum for most needs on the Audi vehicles. Thanks to all for sharing their insights and helpings
Hi--

Happy to try to help. But first, can you be very specific on exactly what tires your have now. Are they the original equipment tires (which would be in 265's), or something else? Which Pirelli exactly? The summer one or the all season one?. If the OE all season Pirellis, are sidewalls marked as noise cancelling system (PNCS)? That will help as far as the baseline of what you have now.

To me, your spec is already sort of saying all season btw. You have the occasional snow and cold reference. In addition, while not universal, all seasons are more likely to be somewhat quieter and ride a bit softer than summers.

Also, as you will hear in my reply, on Tire Rack I would not rely on the user feedback unless the fitment is typical cars similar to the A8. For example, I regard the stereotype input of a tire on an A4 or a 328i or a Camry/Accord as of dubious value on an A8--different profile drivers, very different cars, different expectations of performance, etc. Instead, drill into their test results--for the tires that have it. If you look into the detailed test/track reports, they have comparative noise ratings, typically in a bar graph. I think those are more reliable than the subjective owner survey stuff. What those test results still don't correct for is noise that comes up as tire wears. And as you are experiencing and first reply you got is already saying, arguably the most notorious brand for noise issues as they wear on Audis is...Pirelli.
The following 2 users liked this post by MP4.2+6.0:
Novalondon (07-13-2019), ourduck (11-10-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Continental DWS06 extreme contact seem to be a popular choice for an AS tire, this is what I plan on replacing my tires with when I can't take the noise of these Pirelli's any more...
Old 07-13-2019, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Fwiw, I switched to the Uniroyal Tigerpaw GTZ AS-2 and was very happy with the improvement of road noise compared to the pirellis

I can't remember the sizing, but it was the alternative size that has been recommended in the past to allow for additional options beyond OE sizing.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 874 Likes on 715 Posts

Take a look at TR and CR. They both rank the quietness of tires.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Novalondon
Ideas ?
Continental DWS06 extreme contact...had them on our Benz wagon and they were quiet until the end. Now have them on our Q5 as a replacement for very loud Michelins....which we will never buy again. Got the best deal from Tire Rack which was $30 less than Discount or Tire Discounters. I am a fan. More so my wife with very sensitive hearing.
The following users liked this post:
Spock1234 (07-14-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I got the following from Tirerack a few months ago. I am very happy with the low noise and quality ride and handling. They have sound deadening foam inside them.

GOODYEAR EAGLE SPORT ALL-SEASON (H- OR V-SPEED RA AO AUDI, SOUNDCOMFORT TECH XL
Old 07-13-2019, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for the delay getting back. Here is the tires info.

PIRELLI P Zero Nero AO 265/40R-20 104H

From what I read these are about the worst for an all season set of tires for a quiet ride. I am not against paying for tires if it brings the quiet ride.
I am expecting a lot more silence from such a high quality level vehicle. Everything else about this car is more than I expected and the factory books from the glove box are becoming our close reads to learn the car and its abilities.
Old 07-13-2019, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

You're gonna love whatever tires you get after that set. I was miserable hearing the road sound on the interstate....then.....new tires.....bliss

Quick Reply: Quietest riding 20 inch tires