A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quietest riding 20 inch tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mtnboydl
You're gonna love whatever tires you get after that set. I was miserable hearing the road sound on the interstate....then.....new tires.....bliss

What cha buy ? come on give it up so we can maybe enjoy that same sense of stillness as well LOL
Old 07-13-2019, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

So, a guess is you have the pre-noise reduction Pirelli's. There are two versions of these. The sound enhanced ones should be marked on the tire sidewall.

In the 265's, rather than waste more money on Pirelli's you could look at the Goodyear A/S's already mentioned. Again, two flavors and given your preferences, you would want the noise reduction version. Those have the "AO" marking, meaning they were spec'ed for Audi. In the 265/40-20, that means it is specific to the D4 (or D5), since no other Audi uses that size tire--any other sedan or coupe is smaller. If instead you go to the 275/40's a lot of us like for a lot more variety, then you get to popular and well regarded A/S's like the Conti DWS06 and the Michelin A/S3+. Those won't be have an Audi specific spec, since it was not technically the factory size.

At this point, look at each tire and its price point, and also look for any that have TireRack (and other sites) instrumented test results. Find the test results page, and then the detailed charts second page. Here is an example for the Goodyears: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=221. Another example for the Michelins, which also shows the Contis (and the Pirelli's): https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=230

Simplified and focused on the 275's, the Conti's are biased a bit more toward winter use and ice/snow traction, and the Michelins a bit more to the good road performance side. But both can handle a variety of conditions well. Both are well regarded among high performance A/S's and used by folks on the board. Thus the use is specific to D4's and typically with positive owner reactions. I have the Contis, which I use for over winter and into spring where I make trips to the winter Sierra's. It was almost a coin toss though between the two--my experiment to try going without dedicated winters for the Sierra's on this vehicle caused me to go to the Conti's. Did the same on a Golf R with them recently, with same positive results. Frankly, they work well all year. Relative to the Conti DW summers I also have (currently what is on my D4), it is hard to tel the difference other than the Conti DW (summers) seem to have gotten just a a bit noisier at mid life. The DWS's are relatively quiet. I want to be a bit careful though to note on the 2015 S8 I have, it is equipped with the acoustic (double pane) glass. Another subtle item on D bodies--know which glass you have, as well as input you are getting from folks either with or without it. The post facelift ones (2015+) also have some incremental soundproofing tweaks.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 07-14-2019 at 06:56 AM.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

About a thousand miles ago I switched out my OE Dunlop summer tires for the Parelli P7 AS size 275/35-21. I did not want to buy Parellli because I have read the same comments, but there was no other choice for 21 inch all seasons. I realize this thread addresses 20 inch tires, but I know that some owners with 21’s have been more or less forced to go with 20’s if they want all season, so I offer my comments.

I have been pleasantly surprised by the P7’s, both for ride quality and noise level. They have the noise reduction feature, which is sections of some sort of material attached inside the tire, and mine are N1, which is the Porsche approved tire, FWIW.

These tires will not show up if you search Tire Rack by vehicle, only if searched by tire size, and I suspect that is because the P7’s are V rated, which I believe tops out at 149 MPH. Ties my hands a bit. Mike
Old 07-14-2019, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've long been a fan of Michelin tires (spent a few years working in the tire reinforcing business). I currently have Michelin Pilot A/S 3+ on three cars, and will install them on the fourth one when I get a set of Weds 2 piece wheels restored and ready to install on my '74 BMW 3.0 CS. I'm in my early 80's, and tire noise is probably less of a problem to me, but my wife still has great hearing and she likes the quiet ride in her A8 compared to the Pirellis that were on it. I like the handling of the ;Pilot A/S 3+ on all three cars.

Just my 2 cents worth of input.

Gary