AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d4-platform-discussion-190/)
-   -   Racechip for 2016 A8 4.0T: (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d4-platform-discussion-190/racechip-2016-a8-4-0t-2967989/)

J450NP13 02-27-2019 10:15 PM

Racechip for 2016 A8 4.0T:

Has anyone here installed a racechip?

MP4.2+6.0 02-28-2019 07:16 AM

Not me.

Is it a piggyback or a tune? If piggyback, search on prior posts about others. Prior conclusions on piggybacks specific to D4 seemed to be that they were inconsistent, not up to the level of tunes (ECU refresh ones) performance wise, and could create secondary running issues. But, data set was very limited. See AZ S6/S7 Board for probably a lot more enthusiast posts in general, given motor is essentially the same as A8 4.0T.

Meantime, have you been reading the 4.0T posts on the general theme of boom go the turbos--stock? Including another this week, on this board. Don't assume you can back out a tune--or remove traces of piggyback if that is what this--without it being visible to Audi. No matter what the marketing spin might say. At maybe 10 grand a copy for blown turbo set at dealer prices, pretty risky. I expect Audi will also (continue to) force dealers to strip search any vehicle where the turbos blow for those kinds of repair/replace dollars. This week's post also indicated a new (positive) factor to me--7 years and 70K warranty on turbos, not just 4/50. Not sure if they did a warranty extension, it was a one off spiff, or if it is emissions warranty related (which varies by state). My guess it somehow the third category--emissions warranty.

Net, given the TD1 specter, presence of the turbo reliability questions, and cost to fix, I would go very slow on tunes right now on 4.0T's while under any warranty. . ...And I am on my still CPO 2015 S8, stock. Whether in warranty or not, I would go into it assuming it's pay to play, at a high limit table.

J450NP13 02-28-2019 07:22 AM

This one: https://www.racechip.us/shop/audi/a8...-444lb-ft.html

I was looking at the GTS black one.

I saw the other posts but they weren’t about this one and seemed more complex. I have no knowledge of these types of chips. But you basically just plug it in in two minutes.

I have a year left on the original warranty but second owner.

TinyElviss 02-28-2019 08:01 AM

There are other options

https://www.chipwerke.com/product-ca...0-tfsi-450-hp/

I'm still under CPO, and won't touch anything until i am completely out of warranty....
The car is fantastic as is

J450NP13 02-28-2019 08:10 AM

Yeah I saw that one too.

I am jot hearing about any isdues uding these. What could happen?

MP4.2+6.0 02-28-2019 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by J450NP13 (Post 25282890)
Yeah I saw that one too.

I am jot hearing about any isdues uding these. What could happen?

I would really recommend you read through the board some.

1. See the dwboston post for just this week's anecdote/single incident. See the poll up and running for months now on turbo reliability. See the "boom goes the turbo" thread on AudiZine for 50 or a hundred sad stories now over past year or more. If I need to spell it out even more, there appears to be an issue in the turbos or supporting systems. They cost about 10 grand (!!!!!!!!!!!!) at dealer prices to replace. Probably several thousand all in with labor IF you can get rebuilt. Audi's published info to dealers says they believe most cases are either maintenance issues or errors, or mods. Yes, some of that, but also some apparent design issues Audi is stonewalling about, probably due to big cost to replace and extended warranty what is already out there.

2. Assume any mod relating to ECU can be seen by Audi if they dig. That includes add on chip stuff most likely, if the ECU stores any parameters data--peak boost ever hit, peak revs, etc. Playing with fire there, since Audi is under immense pressure post TDI fraud and debacle to reduce costs. Ever since the 2.7T from the millenium where S4 and A6 2.7T owners often did in fact chip them and they blew, Audi's predisposition is not to trust owners on the subject. Typically as their first guesses they suspect either faulty maintenance by owners or that it has in fact been modded. If they find either, warranty claim goes poof. Called a "TD1"--they even have a code for it! And dealers no longer control issue either for big claims--they need a higher level sign off especially post TDI clamp down, which you may not even realize if things go well and work gets done--with the probing behind the curtain in the meantime.

3. Also know that if the turbos blow the car will be loaded with codes and the dash board a garish Christmas tree. All relates to those codes. But if the issue remains, you can't clear the codes. And if you can't clear the codes...you typically can't put an ECU back to "stock"--in plain English to try to conceal the mod. You also need to get rid of "readiness codes" any time you clear codes on an ECU, modded or not. If you don't, it is immediate tip off someone was in playing with the ECU. It takes a couple of full-cold hot-cold driving cycles with everything working for those to reset, absent a special test routine to accelerate. I know that in looking at used cars for example if I have a chance to scan them. Dealer and Audi obviously know that. Speculation, but if a car came in with blown anything in the drivetrain and owner plays dumb and does not admit any efforts to "repair," first place I would look are those readiness codes. If they aren't in order, I would immediately suspect an attempt was made to clear codes, especially for the readiness codes that probably have nothing to do with a blown turbo set or tranny or diff, like the EVAP (fuel vapor system) readiness code bit for example.

Again, if you want to pay to play at up to ten grand a copy for the perceived benefit, have at it. Post warranty what you would be signing up for. BUT, you say it's a 2016... Thus, if you think a warranty will pay for any issue that arises, don't bet on it. I'm not just bringing it up for theoretical scare factor--the turbo blows are real and not infrequent, including probably most for D4's that are still stock. High limit poker with Audi using a quasi-marked deck. And don't believe any marketing web spin either unless the company will fully warrant the drivetrain and has the financial resources not to be gone if (when?) the claims hit.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...4bca16df9b.jpg

J450NP13 02-28-2019 09:49 AM

Yep, stock is perfectly fine. Thanks man.