A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

reader sun glasses

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reader sun glasses

to all you old timers out there (like me)
I wear contacts to correct for distance. I have been auditioning bifocal sunglasses for driving (hassle to strap on the readers over my sunglasses--awkward and looks goofy)
I'm just perusing the Amazon customer reviews and its getting tiresome. Just tried three candidates and they all have to go back --on all of them--the reader part is far too low on the lens---they'd be great if you wanted to look at your belly.

Anyone else struggled with this?

thanks Dave
Old 05-11-2014, 03:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Dave-

If you wear a corrective distance prescription it's impossible to use generic readers from what I've found.
They just never focus properly, at least for me, but then I don't wear contacts.

Normally you combine the sphere and the add for readers but not sure how this would apply if you already had corrective contacts.
My guess would be that result in a 0 cylinder and axis....
Which brings us full circle to a generic reader.

I would suggest getting a plano upper with an add prescription from your doc - or whatever he or she suggests for that situation.
Then if you're feeling adventurous order that from somewhere else to save on the cost.

Sorry for the rambling discourse, but I had to talk this through to get to my conclusion

ps- I'm not a doctor, I just play one one TV

Edit: Having recently been diagnosed with a cataract I now wear an ultra super mega UV shielding polarized bifocal sunglass lens by Coppertone. Weird color, but if it prolongs my vision....

Last edited by jakematic; 05-11-2014 at 03:15 AM.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Let me get this straight...

You drive a 90k+ car and won't have prescription progressive sunglasses made? It's your VISION!

BTW, don't get Transitions® photochromic lenses - they need UV exposure to stay dark and will lighten, shielded from the UV by the cabin glass, after 20 minutes - not effective as a Sun Rx unless you're outdoors.

doctorharrison
State Street Eye Health Associates
Boston, MA

Last edited by doctorharrison; 05-11-2014 at 03:51 AM.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am not aware of any off-the-shelf bifocal plano/add sunglasses made for driving. This is probably a job for your OD... and probably a simple job!

I'm currently wearing a +2 reader (no distance correction), and fully appreciate the distance that manufacturers place the instrument binnacle.
Old 05-11-2014, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

I am corrected (via contact lenses) for distance----but use "readers" for up close sight (typically get them at Walmart or Dollar General)---they are just plain old magnifiers--work great. There's nothing wrong with mass market readers---my opthamologist suggests them
There are tons of "bifocal sunglasses" on the market (just check amazon) also---but I have found that the "reader" portion just isn't large enough--they'd be fine for sitting on the beach and reading a book---but it looks like I'd want something that was almost 50/50 or maybe 40 reader and 60 plain to be optimal.
'Guess I'll look into bi focal contacts--or custom made shades.
Was thinking someone else was experimenting with the same solution
Old 05-18-2014, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Try CVS

I saw bifocal readers sunglasses at CVS in the "as seen on TV" section. They may have been the Blublocker brand.
Old 05-18-2014, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

I auditioned three pair from Amazon and all failed (bifocal portion way too low on the lens)
Jake suggested Vinni optical---so I have an order in and hope they'll work
Old 05-26-2014, 02:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm not sure the lower bifocal would work well even if it was in the right spot. Bifocal readers or single vision readers are designed to operate within an approximate 12" range. Unless you have the seat all the way forward, I'm guessing you're significantly more than this distance away from the dashboard. The only way I can see the dash properly is with progressive lenses, and have these in both my regular glasses and my Oakley sunglasses.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have ordered the progressive type Went with an online outfit recommended by a fellow forum member. Anxious to get them and try them out (they are custom made to order)