A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear license plate frame misery

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear license plate frame misery

So I searched and found that this problem has been discussed before, but strangely not for a long time. Went to put the new sticker on the plate last night, and as I use the Weather Tech full cover, have to pull plate to do so. Of course one of the nutserts spun, serious PITA. Last thread said $130 to replace the frame, and at that point it feels like just asking for a recurrence given the terrible design. Someone mentioned a nylon nutsert worked, but never gave a part number or link. So I am thinking that if there is a quick off the shelf insert that works I'll go that route, otherwise it is break out the epoxy or fiberglass kit, and secure the nutserts more permanently. I just do not understand this design from Audi, it is pretty pathetic. While I like the concept of keeping the plate away from the body, you'd think after numerous failures of this rectangular slot and tiny nutsert, they would make an improvement!

So basically has anyone used an off the shelf (Lowes, Menards, Home Depot, True Value, etc.) fix, or do I start the rig job?
Old 03-21-2017, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

MY17? Was it broken when you went to pull off, or did you do it?

Is in, if dealer mucked it up when they put on a plate or dealer plastic self advertising or whatever, seems new enough to discuss w/ them.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yes, MY17. Dealer put my plate on about a month ago, this is the first time I've had to take it off. I will take it up with them, but I am one of the weird people that take my plate off with some frequency to clear the salt from behind it, etc., so with this design I imagine that even being careful I may have future issues, so it may just be easier to come up with a permanent solution. I do not know if you have ever seen the Weather Tech plate covers, but they have a gasket around the perimeter that compresses against the mating surface, works really well, but you do have to tighten fasteners a little more than just a plate frame to get some compression of the seal.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm not so sure what frame are you using but I've bought a silver one from AutoZone and fits perfectly with the Audi (dealer) provided screws
Old 03-22-2017, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tx170754
I'm not so sure what frame are you using but I've bought a silver one from AutoZone and fits perfectly with the Audi (dealer) provided screws
I was referring to the Audi "base" that is held to the car with 2 torx screws and adhesive strips. It has four captured nuts in rectangular slots, and is not a very robust design, and apparently this problem extends to other models as well, so maybe I'll try searching some other model forums as well.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default jbweld

i pulled that thing off (heated up with hair dryer and pulled off) because mine were all screwed up too...

i jb welded the original clips (that had fallen off) back in place [around the perimeter] thinking they won't come off anymore*

But I just got my new registration sticker, so we'll see if it works when i put it on in the next few days.

Last edited by pardz_late; 03-22-2017 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-01-2021, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm a new member, but also noticed this on the rear plate mount. Steel (metric) captive nuts and steel machine screws are an invitation to rust! I may check with my local "Ace Hardware" for a nylon replacement. A spray of metal protectant on both sides would slow the rot and may be enough here in Sunny SoCal !!
Old 02-01-2021, 10:37 AM
Super-Duper User

Received 486 Likes on 387 Posts

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264875519437 $10

Last edited by A8L_New_England; 02-02-2021 at 08:25 PM. Reason: additional comments
The following 3 users liked this post by A8L_New_England:
DallasDave (02-01-2021), IndyAudi (02-11-2021), mikesvwservice (05-04-2023)
Old 02-02-2021, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

I purchase this off of eBay for my 17.

eBay item number:363043969016
The following users liked this post:
mikesvwservice (05-04-2023)
Old 04-28-2023, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm dealing with this misery now too. Problem seems to be rusty threads cause that nut to spin with the screw and the plastic backing isn't strong enough to hold it in place. I'm sure some anti-sieze would have helped, but it is such a short screw.

Throwing this out there...... Those backing nuts look a lot like the backing nuts used on datacenter server racks. I don't know if the sizes are different as I couldn't get my plastic backing plate off (I learned its has adhesive), but I'm gonna grab a handful of them from work to try. We only have a few thousand sitting in a box that hasn't been touched since the last data center refresh. And then we have a few thousand plus a few hundred.

Quick Reply: Rear license plate frame misery