A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Redline and warm up time

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Redline and warm up time

So, I like to be sure my s8 is adequately warmed up before dropping into sport mode or pushing her a little harder. When I start up first thing in the morning the redline is 5,400 and drops back to 6,400 after 5-10 minutes of driving. I typically use the redline adjustment to assume she's warm. Am I being too conservative? Anyone else with me? Doing anything else?
Old 03-18-2019, 08:05 AM
D4 in PA

Received 122 Likes on 86 Posts

I try to stay away from anything near open throttle or redline until the temp gauge is up to normal.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

agreed!
Old 03-20-2019, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TinyElviss
I try to stay away from anything near open throttle or redline until the temp gauge is up to normal.
I've tried to pay attention to the temp gauge since I read this. Seems that it gets up to temp before the redline adjusts from 5,400 up to 6,400 - at least according to my observation. And, I still wouldn't consider my driving anything near full throttle or redline, just a little more spirited in sport mode 😁😉
Old 03-21-2019, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might also want to consider that it takes longer for the oil to get to 'operating temperature' than it does for the coolant. I've heard from racing mechanics that it can be as much as 3X as long.

Gary
Old 03-21-2019, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary Knox
You might also want to consider that it takes longer for the oil to get to 'operating temperature' than it does for the coolant. I've heard from racing mechanics that it can be as much as 3X as long.

Gary
This can be seen to be absolutely true in Porsches where the oil and coolant temperature are reported for the driver. Coolant temp is up to operating level within 2 or 3 miles, but all of mine have taken about 10 miles for the oil temp to reach operating temperature.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Gary Knox

Gary
👍
Thanks for the input. I think there is a vag-com option to add a lap timer that also shows oil temp...
Old 03-21-2019, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by RJdelo

👍
Thanks for the input. I think there is a vag-com option to add a lap timer that also shows oil temp...
Correct. And as you will likely observe, the redline reduction at cold seems tied to oil temp in reality, which makes sense to me--as opposed to coolant. Both are going to tend to be coupled until temps and load get high when oil temp will rise more. The lap display doesn't show oil temp below a certain temp (150F IIRC??), and when it displays a temp is right when redline reduction goes away. Sorry, a little vague because the display mod got blown up when dealer refreshed mine--either an MMI update or ECU/instruments when the fuel reading got flaky after fill up. I need to put it back still; novelty of it sort of wore off after a while.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Correct. And as you will likely observe, the redline reduction at cold seems tied to oil temp in reality, which makes sense to me--as opposed to coolant. Both are going to tend to be coupled until temps and load get high when oil temp will rise more. The lap display doesn't show oil temp below a certain temp (150F IIRC??), and when it displays a temp is right when redline reduction goes away. Sorry, a little vague because the display mod got blown up when dealer refreshed mine--either an MMI update or ECU/instruments when the fuel reading got flaky after fill up. I need to put it back still; novelty of it sort of wore off after a while.
Awesome, thanks. Maybe I won't get so hung up on the vag-com change then. Appreciate the insight!!