A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replace MMI control unit 2012 A8

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default replace MMI control unit 2012 A8

Wondering how I replace the MMI unit in a 2012 A8. I can not figure out how to get the unit out of the center console. Would love some guidance. I tried to pop off center console with a moulding tool but it feels like it's going to break.
Thank You
Old 06-05-2019, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Figured it out. The MMI just pops out of the console with the help of the moulding tool.
The following users liked this post:
Craig Cringston (12-14-2020)
Old 12-12-2020, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Procedures thereafter

Originally Posted by midi0916
Figured it out. The MMI just pops out of the console with the help of the moulding tool.
Hi!
What prompted you to change it?
Where did you source the part from?
Was it plug and play or coding was needed?

I ask, because my MMI interface panel no longer functions with the exception of being able to reset the whole system with the three button combo.
I get no lights on it either. It just went out one day. The whole system functions, as far as I know, with the exception of being able to interact by the means of using the MMI control panel interface.
Old 12-12-2020, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig Cringston
Hi!
What prompted you to change it?
Where did you source the part from?
Was it plug and play or coding was needed?

I ask, because my MMI interface panel no longer functions with the exception of being able to reset the whole system with the three button combo.
I get no lights on it either. It just went out one day. The whole system functions, as far as I know, with the exception of being able to interact by the means of using the MMI control panel interface.
Run a VCDS or equivalent scan; helps be sure you are on right track. If the now seriously obsolete low capacity hard drive fails, takes down whole system. BTDT on 2013 Q5 with same generation of MMI gear. That was a warranty repair $3,000+ (parts part ony) dealer forklift out the whole system fix for an obsolete $50 hard drive and having the right disk image. If a button in control panel jams or takes a soda or coffee spill (at least on D3), it can make unit non-responsive in general but yet screen sort of first lifts and illuminates. A Audi proprietary design fuse failure in back on D3 could make basic functioning appear to fail, but would just need fuse replaced if shorted during some other work. Parts are too expensive, even used, to guess. Some fixes can end up just being cleaning or fuses, some the control board at hundreds, and some up into thousands if done w/ new parts. The only one I think can be diagnosed reliably w/out scan is the mechanical up down screen function if the gear related parts wear and/or get broken, especially if it has mechanical noises.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 12-12-2020 at 03:53 PM.
Old 12-12-2020, 03:29 PM
Super-Duper User

Received 485 Likes on 386 Posts

Any prudent technician knows that ALL hard drives fail, eventually. To install one in an inaccessible location is short sighted and reflects poor design philosophy.
The following users liked this post:
TimInNOVA (12-15-2020)
Old 12-12-2020, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Run a VCDS or equivalent scan; helps be sure you are on right track. If the now seriously obsolete low capacity hard drive fails, takes down whole system. BTDT on 2013 Q5 with same generation of MMI gear. That was a warranty repair $3,000+ (parts part ony) dealer forklift out the whole system fix for an obsolete $50 hard drive and having the right disk image. If a button in control panel jams or takes a soda or coffee spill (at least on D3), it can make unit non-responsive in general but yet screen sort of first lifts and illuminates. A Audi proprietary design fuse failure in back on D3 could make basic functioning appear to fail, but would just need fuse replaced if shorted during some other work. Parts are too expensive, even used, to guess. Some fixes can end up just being cleaning or fuses, some the control board at hundreds, and some up into thousands if done w/ new parts. The only one I think can be diagnosed reliably w/out scan is the mechanical up down screen function if the gear related parts wear and/or get broken, especially if it has mechanical noises.
I should have mentioned I went to the stealership and they concluded that the MMI control module, which is part of the MMI control Panel needs to be replaced at the cost of $1200. The module is placed screwed on the back of the unit. I have purchased two used ones with the same result. I didn't spill anything and also checked fuses. I don't believe the hard drive failed because I have imported songs and movies on it from months ago. Like I mentioned, everything works with the exception of any control via the control panel. I have the rear entertainment system in the pack that works flawlessly too.
I'll get the VCDS log. I have posted my issue on this site (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...-dead-3008692/), but came across this post hoping it was a matter of recoding. I so read elsewhere it could be a baud rate that was changed and looking on OBDeleven, it showed it set at 600 where others are saying that have it at 9500.

Last edited by Craig Cringston; 12-12-2020 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Add missing information
Old 12-12-2020, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I should have mentioned I went to the stealership and they concluded that the MMI control module, which is part of the MMI control Panel needs to be replaced at the cost of $1200. The module is placed screwed on the back of the unit. I have purchased two used ones with the same result. I didn't spill anything and also checked fuses. I don't believe the hard drive failed because I have imported songs and movies on it from months ago. Like I mentioned, everything works with the exception of any control via the control panel. I have the rear entertainment system in the pack that works flawlessly too.
I'll get the VCDS log. I have posted my issue on this site (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...-dead-3008692/), but came across this post hoping it was a matter of recoding. I so read elsewhere it could be a baud rate that was changed and looking on OBDeleven, it showed it set at 600 where others are saying that have it at 9500.
If it worked previously, it should work now. If by any chance anyone tried an MMI update of the operating software, all bets are off--other than that should be noted if relevant.

I am still not sure what part you replaced exactly in D4 design, but if it was akin to the control head in the D3, that has Component (antitheft) protection, aka CP. The control head in D3 speak was the master brain, was on the optical ring, and did not rely on a hard drive but rather external removable disk for the NAV data. Dealer has to tie car to Audi's master server to reset CP if a used component that has CP protection is installed. Sign of a CP issue is audio cuts out badly. Again all D3 concepts, since D4 MMI operating issues haven't been explored much here IIRC. Other than motorized screen and somewhat more memory, D4 system is pretty much the same as at least latter part of B8 (maybe B8.5?) Q5, S5, A5, S4, A4 etc if it has Nav, or C7 A6/S7/A7/S7. Way more of those around than D4's as far as searching for similar experiences. I owned 2013 Q5 with Nav so know those two were basically the same other than the dash trim and the D4 graffti input option.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 12-12-2020 at 05:26 PM.
Old 12-15-2020, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
If it worked previously, it should work now. If by any chance anyone tried an MMI update of the operating software, all bets are off--other than that should be noted if relevant.

I am still not sure what part you replaced exactly in D4 design, but if it was akin to the control head in the D3, that has Component (antitheft) protection, aka CP. The control head in D3 speak was the master brain, was on the optical ring, and did not rely on a hard drive but rather external removable disk for the NAV data. Dealer has to tie car to Audi's master server to reset CP if a used component that has CP protection is installed. Sign of a CP issue is audio cuts out badly. Again all D3 concepts, since D4 MMI operating issues haven't been explored much here IIRC. Other than motorized screen and somewhat more memory, D4 system is pretty much the same as at least latter part of B8 (maybe B8.5?) Q5, S5, A5, S4, A4 etc if it has Nav, or C7 A6/S7/A7/S7. Way more of those around than D4's as far as searching for similar experiences. I owned 2013 Q5 with Nav so know those two were basically the same other than the dash trim and the D4 graffti input option.
No updates have been attempted.
The part that was replaced is the the actual control module panel. The one in which is used to interact with to manipulate items on the MMI screen. From what I have read, the control module and not the panel, is behind the glove department for the A8s of the D3s or facelift. The control module and control panel in the D4 are of one part that is house in the center console. The dealership said it is plug n' play.
As far as I have read from my scans with VCDS and OBDeleven, nothing is hinting to a CP possibility. Unless it is not something that would show up on a scan. If not by VCDS or OBDeleven, how would I know that was the case?

Last edited by Craig Cringston; 12-15-2020 at 06:02 AM. Reason: Added information
Old 12-15-2020, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

No updates have been attempted.
The part that was replaced is the the actual control module panel. The one in which is used to interact with to manipulate items on the MMI screen. From what I have read, the control module and not the panel, is behind the glove department for the A8s of the D3s or facelift. The control module and control panel in the D4 are of one part that is house in the center console. The dealership said it is plug n' play.
As far as I have read from my scans with VCDS and OBDeleven, nothing is hinting to a CP possibility. Unless it is not something that would show up on a scan. If not by VCDS or OBDeleven, how would I know that was the case?
Yes, on D3 the control module is behind glove box. On D3, the audio cuts in and out if CP needs to be reset. I don't recall D4 posts about it generally. As mentioned in my earlier message, for help with your issue maybe try searching other model forums with essentially the same system but sold in higher volume than D4. The C7 (A6.S6, A7, S7) is probably the closest.
Old 12-15-2020, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

I would love to see someone come out with a Solid-State Drive (SSD) hard drive upgrade for our MMI's. I imagine the operating system would need to be copied over in the process.

Quick Reply: replace MMI control unit 2012 A8