A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement key $475?

Old 12-01-2016, 07:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement key $475?

HI guys. I am in need of replacement Audi keys and dos vs don'ts on some other threads. My local Audi dealer wants $ 475 for key/programming but man that erks me...what are me realistic options? Buy key online and have them program? ugh
Old 12-01-2016, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

I have been able to get keys from discounted online dealers in the past and then have dealer program them. You have to provide proof of ownership--like your registration combined with license--that you email/fax in a scan or image of. But last go at it the online parts dealers were getting leery doing for any but cars programmed at their own dealership, even if you had done regular business.

The programming labor charge seems to be the same no matter the key count, at least at mine, so better doing more than fewer on effective price/key. I think car takes 5 max, including any plastic or valet type keys.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yep just bought a 2014 CPO, and at the end of the deal they told me it only had one key. Told them hey that is BS and if it is a CPO, then it comes with 2 keys... they whined that they would lose their profit and the key cost them $350... I suggested I could call Audi... they came up with the key.

But, the plastic key is nowhere... can you buy those? Where?

Greg
Old 12-01-2016, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Elmassian
Yep just bought a 2014 CPO, and at the end of the deal they told me it only had one key. Told them hey that is BS and if it is a CPO, then it comes with 2 keys... they whined that they would lose their profit and the key cost them $350... I suggested I could call Audi... they came up with the key.

But, the plastic key is nowhere... can you buy those? Where?

Greg
I have never tried to get that one/have always gotten it. I expect it is the same drill of ordering it from the dealer/parts place and get it programmed w/ the rest. The couple of times I have had to do programming, you have bring them all in or they get erased, so that gets redone too.

Yes, CPO is full keys--and manuals--or at least was in 2007 when there were issues on the D3 W12 purchase with it. If you look at CPO checklist details, both are checklist items there. The forms I have gotten have always been checked as in order all the way down, so technically it is the discrepancy that opens up the issue of not being as represented. Local dealer was very straight forward on it. They tried to get keys and manuals back from prior owner (some kind of corporate transfer where employer bailed him out of car) and gave me another manual set from the next year's model meantime. In due course when they couldn't get them back, they replaced everything, reprogrammed keys, etc. It was then I realized programming charge (or none if warranty type adjustment) was all the same. So I bought two more (on line), and brought them in at same time and they did them all with no incremental charge. They have to be fresh keys of course--you can't buy a used key from EBay and have them reprogram to your car even if you get the pull out key element cut fresh. 2015 S8 was simple since all keys, manuals, etc were there. I checked for all of it.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 12-01-2016 at 08:30 PM.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

CPO checklist is still all keys. At least is was when I bought mine a few months ago.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Question remains, where to buy plastic key? Can dealer cut it? Is it key only no electronics?

Greg
Old 12-02-2016, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi! I had only gotten 1 key when I purchased my C6, earlier this year.
I found an independent locksmith who charged me about 1/2 of what you were quoted by the dealer.
He had me pay in full, ordered the correct key & programmed it a few days later, when it came in.
His service was probably more professional & easier for me than the local dealer would have been.
Oh yeah, guess who he bought the key from: Audi.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I wouldn't bother about the plastic key, it is key only no electronics, I guess when you use valet parking you can lock your glove compartment with it...

Search this Thread