A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement Key Fob??

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacement Key Fob??

My car came with 2 key fobs, both cut for the locks but one doesn't work electrically. Replaced the battery, red light blinks but it doesn't respond. In the MMI it says only 1 key is registered to the car. So I was looking on-line to buy a replacement to save a few dollars over the dealer, except I don't see the model number anywhere online, only from a couple of past ebay auctions. The FCC ID is the same as others 1YZFBSB802 but my model is 4HO.959.754 G. Is this an older version that has been replaced with a new part number?
Old 03-18-2017, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default have the dealer register the key or check your MMI

Originally Posted by mazzy730
My car came with 2 key fobs, both cut for the locks but one doesn't work electrically. Replaced the battery, red light blinks but it doesn't respond. In the MMI it says only 1 key is registered to the car. So I was looking on-line to buy a replacement to save a few dollars over the dealer, except I don't see the model number anywhere online, only from a couple of past ebay auctions. The FCC ID is the same as others 1YZFBSB802 but my model is 4HO.959.754 G. Is this an older version that has been replaced with a new part number?
or owners manual...there may be a way to register your fob to the car. Used to be all you had to do was press two of the three buttons on the fob and then unlock the car with the key/manually. Or even press the unlock button and unlock the car door within 20-30 seconds manually with the key. Worth trying.

I found this online for A4..
Press and hold the unlock button on the remote. 2. While continuing to hold down the unlock button, insert the key into the ignition. Turn the ignition to the on position, and keep holding down the unlock button while the ignition is on for approximately two seconds.

Last edited by SloopJohnB@mac.com; 03-18-2017 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

To program a key to the car, you have to have it done by the dealer. They need to use their systems to connect to the ones in Germany to get it set to your car. I looked into it when I bought my Audi, which only came with one key, but when I found I couldn't just buy a fob, I didn't bother. Odd your car only came with one working key. I'd send it back to the dealer you bought it from and have them explain to you why you were given a key that didn't work.
Old 03-18-2017, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default I agree, if the mentioned methods don't work.

Originally Posted by Jack88
To program a key to the car, you have to have it done by the dealer. They need to use their systems to connect to the ones in Germany to get it set to your car. I looked into it when I bought my Audi, which only came with one key, but when I found I couldn't just buy a fob, I didn't bother. Odd your car only came with one working key. I'd send it back to the dealer you bought it from and have them explain to you why you were given a key that didn't work.
I kind of assumed the OP got two keys with the car and one isn't working. Kind of strange the OP didn't check both the key fob operation with the new car.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack88
+1.

Used keys on eBay are strictly paperweights too. You can't reprogram a prior key to your own vehicle. Only actual use I found for them is finding a clean one, gutting the case and transferring innards from a prior working fob with bad cosmetics to the eBay case donor. D3 keys were subject to more wear and a few of us did this. So far D4 cases seem pretty wear proof. Essentially same case on the Q5 too.

The old push some buttons instructions to reprogram a key are from like D2 era. Circa 2001 Audi went to the chip keys.

A guess on the two keys is one was essentially faked. You can get the key element itself cut by any locksmith who has the sidecut key machine. You can also order them by VIN from a dealer with proof of ownership of car. It is a separate part from the remote--if you look carefully there is a rollpin along edge of key you remove to separate fob from the cut key portion. Then you marry it up with one of the eBay paperweights, and presto fake key. Only other explanation is someone also ordered up the fob from dealer but never had it programmed. Only a dealer in turn could then tell if it is still unused and programmable with their equipment, or a paperweight.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you that basically answered my question. I knew one key wasn't working when I bought it, thought it might be as easy as a new battery. The car is going in for service and the dealer said it's a flat rate for an unlimited amount of keys to program. That's why I was thinking I could by a good condition used key, or a new one from one of the cheaper websites.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by mazzy730
Thank you that basically answered my question. I knew one key wasn't working when I bought it, thought it might be as easy as a new battery. The car is going in for service and the dealer said it's a flat rate for an unlimited amount of keys to program. That's why I was thinking I could by a good condition used key, or a new one from one of the cheaper websites.
Yes as far as your thinking. My experience is the same that it is typically flat rate regardless of # of keys. What I have done are order the keys from one of the mail order parts dealers. Best to call in the order ,and be sure they will do it. Some are skittish or may only want to deal with live local customers for keys.

The keys are two parts--the fob, and the cut key portion. The latter is where proof of ownership comes in. I send them my registration and license--same as you do at the retail parts counter. A complete set are two remotes, plus the extra plastic key. I usually do at least a third remote.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Yes as far as your thinking. My experience is the same that it is typically flat rate regardless of # of keys. What I have done are order the keys from one of the mail order parts dealers. Best to call in the order ,and be sure they will do it. Some are skittish or may only want to deal with live local customers for keys.

The keys are two parts--the fob, and the cut key portion. The latter is where proof of ownership comes in. I send them my registration and license--same as you do at the retail parts counter. A complete set are two remotes, plus the extra plastic key. I usually do at least a third remote.
Does FOB & key come programed to the VIN? Thank you...Flats
Old 04-05-2017, 10:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Flats
Does FOB & key come programed to the VIN? Thank you...Flats
The key is cut by VIN so will come already correct. But the fob is basically just an unused generic fob ready for programming; supplied based on part # and not specific to VIN at that point. Dealer then has to program the new fob. A fob that is already programmed can't be reprogrammed again for a different car than the fob belonged to in the first place.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a 2015 A8L from a small dealer that bought it at auction. Previous owner shows it was a corporate vehicle.

It came with two keys, only one working. It doesn't unlock or start. I checked the MMI and it says three keys are programmed to the vehicle. Is it possible that the non-working key is still programmed but malfunctioning? Is there anyway I can fix this through VCDS? Is the dealer able to see that specific fob is assigned to that vehicle? Can they remove the third assigned key since it's long gone?

Quick Reply: Replacement Key Fob??