A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement Tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Replacement Tires

Any recent experience or recommendations? I know this as been discussed and I’ve done searches. Looking for the latest and greatest on replacement tires. Leaning toward Conti DWS06 275-40-20 but I’ve read some complaints. I’m in the northeast so looking for good winter and snow performance as well. Advice appreciated.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default All season??

I live in a very snowy area in the Northeast. Most everyone uses two sets of tires as an "all season" kinda sucks in snow or ice. The first time you slide or spin your heavy A8 with unsuitable tires you will wish you had a dedicated setup. For the money we spend on these cars to have a separate setup is very worth it.
I use Hakkepelitta R2 in a19" size for winter and 275/40/20 Michelin PS4 on Vertini wheels. The tires last longer as they are being rotated and I have the very best tread compound connecting my car to the road!
Old 06-08-2018, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The Continental DWS06 tires in 275-40/20 are fine, if a bit noisy as they age. I've got about 25k miles on my set with decent tread left having rotated them twice in that time, and have had no issues other than some low noise over 75 mph that's only noticeable with the music off. We put a set on my wife's GL550 last year and they've been fine but seem to be wearing a little quicker than expected. I think my next set will be the N-spec Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3. I've had pretty good luck with Michelins over the years (other than the price of the PAX tires on my old Acura RL - nearly $2k installed for a set of 4, but they were good tires) and will give them another shot.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

Is it important to have N-spec?
Old 06-08-2018, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by Puzz1
N spec means the Porsche spec; in the particular tire, size and design mentioned what you get. That specific tire is also a different design than other Michelin A/S3+'s. Audi OE tires are designated AO. I don't view the OE spec as important for Audi, and in fact some are affirmatively mediocre tires. If going for 275/40-20, you won't find AO tires anyway since the OE size would be the 265/40's. Meantime in Porsche N spec, it then comes down to do you like the tire; it is an OE choice for the Panamera, which below the surface is arguably pretty close to a D4 A8/S8 in various motor set ups.

To your original question, I changed back to my Conti DW's--now Conti Extreme Contacts--in April, having been on the DWS-06's since winter. Interesting back to back with them, now my second rotation. That is, here in mild CA I am trying the DWS's as winters. In the seasonal rotation, I also carefully rotate, consciously changing running direction and keeping wear even axle to axle. Oddly, in going back to the DW's this time the car did not feel as crisp--a lot of the point of a summer and supposedly a knock on DWS's. I got used to them again, but back to back noticed it. I recall a bit of the same the prior year too. Obviously same car, same alignment, tires carefully stored and proper pressure. Same size and actually even same 20" wheel sets. Both tire sets at around 7/32'ds now so lots of life left. FWIW, my CA winter driving is real snow in Tahoe. Up to 200 inches in some seasons. When up there, no issues with grip or confidence. Tahoe tends to be either outright snow on ground or iced over hardpack; at times bone dry for a week or more. What it is not commonly like it may be elsewhere is cut up crud for long periods; only transitional until sun comes back and then melts off. Prior D3 and other Audi winter tires were Dunlop M2's, M3 and D3, so I know the winter performance tire feel in same area; also used Pirelli SottoZero on D3, since there was no Dunlop fitment. Net, the DWS06 hold up, but less than I expected with their DW. No longer sold anyway, but will obviously review new choices in summers for next set. For everyday driving the two are otherwise hard to tell apart.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 06-08-2018 at 07:41 AM.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Puzz1
As mentioned below, it's the Porsche-spec tire for the Panamera that's a little different than the regular PS A/S 3 tire. It's funny, but I've never actually had the Pilot Sport A/S on a car, despite always assuming I would get it at the next tire purchase. I always get swayed by Tire Rack ratings and reviews and I've ended up with other tires. I did have a set of the Michelin Premier tires on my A6 - those were great. I wish the Premier tire was made in a size that would fit the A8, but they aren't. The two sets of Michelin PAX tires I had were really good as well, just expensive. I feel confident (given my limited options) saying that this time I will be getting the N-spec A/S 3 when I get new tires later this year.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by dwboston
As mentioned below, it's the Porsche-spec tire for the Panamera that's a little different than the regular PS A/S 3 tire. It's funny, but I've never actually had the Pilot Sport A/S on a car, despite always assuming I would get it at the next tire purchase. I always get swayed by Tire Rack ratings and reviews and I've ended up with other tires. I did have a set of the Michelin Premier tires on my A6 - those were great. I wish the Premier tire was made in a size that would fit the A8, but they aren't. The two sets of Michelin PAX tires I had were really good as well, just expensive. I feel confident (given my limited options) saying that this time I will be getting the N-spec A/S 3 when I get new tires later this year.
You may be on the right track here, having looking at the tread pattern and speed rating on the N Spec variant back to when it came out. The tread is quite different than the typical Michelin A/S. Good thing. I had the Pilot Sport AS+'s (a few generations ago now) on my D3 W12 and they turned into a dangerous nightmare even at mid life. Only time I ever essentially spun the car, or any modern quattro with ESP. Wife did the same a few hours later, and whose driving style is not the same as mine either. Fortunately nothing got hit in either case. The current "regular" A/S 3's were revamped to get more on a par with the DWS06--greater wet and poor condition performance, which from that experience they really desperately needed. The DWS actually went the other direction when it got revamped to the DWS06 to get better drier condition performance, which does seem pretty consistent with my experience back to back with the summer DW's. The N spec one really seems more like its own flavor in the Michelin line up, with really just a similar name overlap. Just the tread pattern and the sipes say it is more up to bad conditions, presumably with a good ride and feel you expect in a Panny...or a D4.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 06-08-2018 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I've been running the 275/40/20 Michelin N-Spec for 10,000 miles now and am super impressed with them. They are pricey but worth it. Had a set of DWS-06's in the same size and never liked them. They hydroplaned and were not that goo in the snow which was opposite Tire Racks reviews. All it did was snow in MN this spring and I can tell you the N-spec performs better than anything I've run for an all-season, and they work well in the dry and the rain as well. My second choice is the GoodYear Sport All season, they to work good in the snow but like to hydroplane a bit as well. The N-spec responds wicked good when turning, no wishy-washy feeling like I had on the DWS-06, GoodYear also responded much better than the DWS-06.

Can you tell I love the Michelin N-Spec? Just checked the tread wear today after rotating at 10,000 miles and all four at 9/32. They do everything extremely well.
I'd buy the GoodYear Sport again too, but I'll never have another set of DWS-06's on my car.
Old 06-09-2018, 03:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

I'm running the original AS3 on my 1985 911, and I like them. However, I mounted them because I wanted something I could run in cold weather, but not to drive in snow. Not much available in the size I needed. It's my understanding the original AS3 was primarily a dry weather tire with good performance characteristics, and that the later versions were designed to correct the winter shortcomings.
Old 06-09-2018, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

@Puzz1 I have Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring 255/45R19XL 104V BSW and based on their performance I would go with Cooper Zeon RS3-G1 275/40R20XL 106W BSW. You can find them on tires-easy.com that's the only place where I buy my tires. Cooper tires I have didn't fail me once snow or rain or just regular driving. I have 70k warranty on mine and Cooper Zeon comes with 50k warranty. I don't think it's a bad deal.

Quick Reply: Replacement Tires