A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reset Gearbox Change Ups

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 02:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reset Gearbox Change Ups

Hi all,

Is there any way to reset the gearbox to learn my change up habits. Currently the car changes up so quickly into higher gears when you do put your foot down the revs are so low it takes a little while to build boost. I would rather it holds onto gears a little longer and stays in boost.

My cousin is a tuner for Quantum, and will be remapping the ECU to provide a little more power and slightly more torque, but before doing so I wanted to reset the gearbox / learn my driving.

I did this on my D3, there was a sequence to follow I think it involved depressing the accelerator, turning keys etc. Does anyone who what it is for the D4? If it is a VCDS adaptation let me know I have the cable.

Regards
Old 02-08-2019, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

I, too, would like to see the transmission hold higher RPM's. In "D" it is common to see RPM's drop drop down to 1200 or less, even though the owner's manual warns against operating at less than 1500. Switching the transmission to "S" takes care of the RPM's, but in that mode I don't particularly like the nature of the downshifts at lower speeds. It could be that the shifts are taking place in the RPM range with the very steep power curve, and could be difficult to deal with from a tuning prospective. In fact, the engine , at low RPM , could be operating as a low compression NA engine, and then very abruptly coming on boost.

I have pretty much adapted to the nature of the engine/transmission interaction by using the paddles a bit, rather than waiting for the transmission to adapt to my driving style. With my D3, I could cause the transmission to adapt by WOT driving. That's much more difficult to do with the huge power output of the S8+. Who knew. Mike.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

hahaha! I think wide open throttle in the S8 would be perfect for that

Anybody know of a quick way to reset rather than waiting for the car to learn?
Old 02-08-2019, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Yes, you reset it via VCDS. You trigger it by clicking a particular field, then probably do a driving routine. D3 had a prescribed driving routine; I don't recall if D4 does. Search on it to find the specific D4 routine, or more generally for the 8 speed ZF tranny.

BTW, the "click your heels three times while twirling" gas pedal and key stuff was not the actual routine for the D3, so that would have been placebo effect. It also needed the VCDS trigger. It was the lemon 5 speed from back in the D2/C5 generation where you put on the Ruby Red driving shoes while exercising the key and pedal stuff.

When I do the adaptation, FWIW I start with the throttle one--separate and in the ECU. That one is just a click and sometimes pedal movement one; the VCDS screen tells you. Again search for specifics or see D4 shop manual. I have had no reason to do it so far...S8...

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-08-2019 at 08:45 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Yes, you reset it via VCDS. You trigger it by clicking a particular field, then probably do a driving routine. D3 had a prescribed driving routine; I don't recall if D4 does. Search on it to find the specific D4 routine, or more generally for the 8 speed ZF tranny.

BTW, the "click your heels three times while twirling" gas pedal and key stuff was not the actual routine for the D3, so that would have been placebo effect. It also needed the VCDS trigger. It was the lemon 5 speed from back in the D2/C5 generation where you put on the Ruby Red driving shoes while exercising the key and pedal stuff.

When I do the adaptation, FWIW I start with the throttle one--separate and in the ECU. That one is just a click and sometimes pedal movement one; the VCDS screen tells you. Again search for specifics or see D4 shop manual. I have had no reason to do it so far...S8...

Hahaha!

Where to look? On Vag-com website?

Thanks
Old 02-11-2019, 03:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi. Try this.

Audi Transmission ECU Adaption Reset Procedure
  1. Press the gas pedal all the way to the floor.
  2. Turn on ignition but do not start the engine. ...
  3. Keep the gas pedal pressed for at least 15 seconds.
  4. Turn off the ignition. ...
  5. Drive your Audi, carefully and allow it to change gears at low RPM for the first 10 minutes.