A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Resetting noise" and ACC question

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Resetting noise" and ACC question

Purchased a '16 D4 CPO in March. Came from a '10 D3 long. Two things I can't figure out. Did a search but didn't find answers. 1) Occasionally, a mechanical tick-tick noise occurs approx. 10 times from the MMI area. It's most typical within a minute of starting the car and driving. Affects nothing but wondering what it is. Thoughts? 2) Every time I engage ACC, the system appears to default to what I will call Distance 3 from the car ahead and I have to toggle the switch twice to get to Distance 1 (closest to the car ahead). My '10 D3 defaulted to Distance 1. Others experience this or is it a preference setting associated with my personal settings/key?

Thanks
Old 05-18-2016, 02:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

The ticking you describe sounds like hard drive noise. The ACC defaults to distance 3 and I do not believe there is a way to change it. Distance 3 is a following distance of 2 seconds, with the rest using 1/2 second intervals.
Old 05-18-2016, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MikeM3412
Purchased a '16 D4 CPO in March. Came from a '10 D3 long. Two things I can't figure out. Did a search but didn't find answers. 1) Occasionally, a mechanical tick-tick noise occurs approx. 10 times from the MMI area. It's most typical within a minute of starting the car and driving. Affects nothing but wondering what it is. Thoughts? 2) Every time I engage ACC, the system appears to default to what I will call Distance 3 from the car ahead and I have to toggle the switch twice to get to Distance 1 (closest to the car ahead). My '10 D3 defaulted to Distance 1. Others experience this or is it a preference setting associated with my personal settings/key?

Thanks
Does it sound like chains rattling, 8-10 in concession? I too am experiencing that.
Old 05-18-2016, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

The ticking noise is normal. I haven't been in an A8 that doesn't do it. The new Q7 does it too. Distance 3 is the default for the D4.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by triniexr
Does it sound like chains rattling, 8-10 in concession? I too am experiencing that.
Yeah, I had that on my 2011 D4 and also have it on my 2015 D4 (even more pronounced). Typically occurs after a few minutes after initial start up, and can re-occur sporadically during a long trip (approx. every 25 minutes or so). To my ear, sounds like scraping sandpaper over cymbals 6 or seven times. Seems like the sound comes from the center dash speaker. Happens no matter what source music is set to: FM, sat radio or jukebox.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks
My '15 defaults to distance 3 also on start up, but does not change for interruptions such as braking.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

2) Every time I engage ACC, the system appears to default to what I will call Distance 3 from the car ahead and I have to toggle the switch twice to get to Distance 1 (closest to the car ahead). My '10 D3 defaulted to Distance 1. Others experience this or is it a preference setting associated with my personal settings/key?
You can enable the option in the MMI ACC settings screen which allows you to select a default distance with the VCDS interface.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default VCDS mod to enable default ACC setting vis MMI

You can change the ACC via VCDS so that the default distance setting can be adjusted as desired. BTDT. My prior D3 always had it as an MMI selectable option, and I did the mod last week on D4.

See reply 3 to this thread for the "how to." Worked on my 2015. Pics below. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...tting-2899288/
Attached Thumbnails "Resetting noise" and ACC question-fullsizerender-89.jpg   "Resetting noise" and ACC question-fullsizerender-88.jpg  
Old 05-18-2016, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by derfA8L
Yeah, I had that on my 2011 D4 and also have it on my 2015 D4 (even more pronounced). Typically occurs after a few minutes after initial start up, and can re-occur sporadically during a long trip (approx. every 25 minutes or so). To my ear, sounds like scraping sandpaper over cymbals 6 or seven times. Seems like the sound comes from the center dash speaker. Happens no matter what source music is set to: FM, sat radio or jukebox.
I'm glad to hear it isn't just my car that makes this noise. I notice it sporadically as well, but mine is always 5 or 6 sounds in a row. It is quiet but my daughter noticed it the other day. It sounds to me to me coming from the center dash area. I have driven with the radio on/off, MMI on/off, it doesn't matter, it still comes back. I am taking my CPO to the dealer tomorrow to get my plates installed and have them check out the 3K vibration issue (already printed out the TSB). I was going to ask them about this sound but now I know I don't have to. Only other issue I am having is 50% of the time the driver side air is a good 10 degrees hotter than the drivers side, when set on SYNC, or even set at a lower temperature. Hopefully tomorrow it acts up again...
Old 05-18-2016, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by theanimala
..I am taking my CPO to the dealer tomorrow to get my plates installed and have them check out the 3K vibration issue (already printed out the TSB). I was going to ask them about this sound but now I know I don't have to...
Why not ask them about that sound anyway? I've asked in the past, but it never happens when I do a test drive with the SA--what else is new. Perhaps you can solve this puzzle for the rest of us :-)

Quick Reply: "Resetting noise" and ACC question