A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Retrofitting Auto-hold functionality on US D4 models

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Retrofitting Auto-hold functionality on US D4 models

Below is an image of the switch, which is located on the center console. The added ((A)) button will set the car to hold the brakes while at a light/stop sign/etc. This seems to be standard in Europe but removed foe US models.

If I can get the switch, what else would be needed (wiring/coding/etc.) to get that function activated?

Has anyone ever successfully attempted this?

Old 10-07-2018, 09:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Old 10-08-2018, 12:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by audisession

Looks pretty involved! I have it on my car here in the land of the rain and the home of the grumpy, and while it's handy at points (I often have it switched off) I don't think it's worth all the hassle of that install.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

audisession, thanks for the link! Now to find someone in Austin who has the skills to do this ...

davey_B, I am very, very jealous that you get to live in Scotland - if you guys manage to get out of the Brexit mess, I want to retire there (being an EU citizen that would be easy without Brexit). I own some land up on the west coast (near Gairloch, north of Skye) that I want to build my retirement home on. I love Scotland, go there every chance I get! I live in TX right now, land of 8-10 lane highways and massive under- and overpasses with long wait times at traffic lights (3-5 minutes depending on where you get stuck). My current car has auto-hold, and I use it every day. I'd pay someone to get that reinstalled in a new to me A8.

This feature seems to be a standard feature in Europe, I don't know why Audi and VW remove this feature from vehicles they sell here in the US. It's definitely a big convenience, and obviously not illegal as many cars have this ability (even cheapo enrty level cars now).
Old 10-08-2018, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Austin A6 3.2
audisession, thanks for the link! Now to find someone in Austin who has the skills to do this ...

davey_B, I am very, very jealous that you get to live in Scotland - if you guys manage to get out of the Brexit mess, I want to retire there (being an EU citizen that would be easy without Brexit). I own some land up on the west coast (near Gairloch, north of Skye) that I want to build my retirement home on. I love Scotland, go there every chance I get! I live in TX right now, land of 8-10 lane highways and massive under- and overpasses with long wait times at traffic lights (3-5 minutes depending on where you get stuck). My current car has auto-hold, and I use it every day. I'd pay someone to get that reinstalled in a new to me A8.

This feature seems to be a standard feature in Europe, I don't know why Audi and VW remove this feature from vehicles they sell here in the US. It's definitely a big convenience, and obviously not illegal as many cars have this ability (even cheapo enrty level cars now).
Gairloch, nice part of the world for sure! If you get the weather the west coast of Scotland is totally world beating in terms of scenery. Beaches are lovely and islands to die for, not often that warm mind you. It's funny how the grass is always greener as I often think I'd like to live in the states as we're so much more left here and it feels like you're constantly having to work for other people to take off you. Plus the weather here can be pretty poor. We had a great summer by our standards but it's now in the grey autumn (fall) and it can be pretty bleak on and off till the spring. Guess there are positives and negatives about being anywhere. We built our house here, it was an old stables and most of it came down and got rebuilt, and I can recommend building a house if you've not done it before. It's a fairly stressful process but lots of good things.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:19 AM
D4 in PA

Received 122 Likes on 86 Posts

page 86 of the Owners Manual for my 2015 4.0 states:

When stopped, the parking brake may be applied...the vehicle does not have to be held with the foot brake....as you start to drive off the parking brake automatically releases.

Sounds like the same thing?
Old 10-08-2018, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by TinyElviss
page 86 of the Owners Manual for my 2015 4.0 states:

When stopped, the parking brake may be applied...the vehicle does not have to be held with the foot brake....as you start to drive off the parking brake automatically releases.

Sounds like the same thing?
Yep, my memory too--already incorporated in D4 effectively. On D3 and various other Audis you could do an enabling mod with VCDS.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

13 A8 4.0t, US model with adaptive cruise, once you come to a complete stop just pull back once on the cruise stock like you would to resume speed. This will hold the car stationary and let you take your foot off the brake. After about 3-5 minutes it applies the parking brake automatically. Also, there doesn't have to be a car or anything in front of you for this to work. I use this at drive-thrus all the time while waiting at the window. To get going again just push forward on the cruise stock to cancel cruise and it will release the brakes. Just pressing on the gas works as well I think, but given the sluggish throttle on these cars I like to let it roll away a bit first before applying gas.

Old 01-23-2020, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi I know it’s an old discussion but I’m just wondering if you have performed this retrofit with success. I’m curious if D4 is pre wired for auto hold just like C7 A6. Thanks.
Old 01-24-2020, 12:06 PM
D4 in PA

Received 122 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Lonewolf95
Hi I know it’s an old discussion but I’m just wondering if you have performed this retrofit with success. I’m curious if D4 is pre wired for auto hold just like C7 A6. Thanks.
The parking brake on the D4 can be activated while at a stop light or on a hill... when activated you can remove your foot from the brake pedal....to disengage you simply tap the gas pedal and away you go. No need to retrofit anything. Start assist is built in (p. 85-86 of manual)

Last edited by TinyElviss; 01-24-2020 at 12:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Retrofitting Auto-hold functionality on US D4 models