A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S8 4.0t vs. A8 4.0t engine differences?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

It'll cost you more than it helps. Full leather is standard for the S8, it was only ever an option on the SWB A8, IIRC.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack88
It'll cost you more than it helps. Full leather is standard for the S8, it was only ever an option on the SWB A8, IIRC.
You are mistaken...fill leather package is a 5500 dollar option where you get real leather on dash, upper portion of door panels and probably a couple other places.

And I understand I'm going to get hit with depreciation...just didn't know how much after around 100k miles....who knows thigh i may drive it for the rest of my life lol
Old 03-01-2017, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your numbers are pretty far off. If you want to know how much a car is going to be worth later, just add the mileage and time you expect to put in the car, and see what that equates to on cars now. For example, if you want to know how much it will be worth in 2 years with 25k more miles on it, look at how much a 2 year older car with 25k miles more that's roughly equivalent in equipment to the one you are looking at now. In this case, a 2013 S8 with 70k miles seems to be listing for $44-48k, as a fairly rough ballpark.
You have to take in consideration the new body style coming out that will through this formula off quite a bit.

Looking to score on some sick deals within the next year or two on a face lifted D4 S8 when D5 is out. Although chipped with E85 gas blend my car runs stronger than stock S8, so I don't know what to do for the next car... Lately a 911 has been calling me back, but this time around it will be a built Turbo or nothing for a P car.

Last edited by DirtyVegasTT; 03-01-2017 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by cleex024
You are mistaken...fill leather package is a 5500 dollar option where you get real leather on dash, upper portion of door panels and probably a couple other places.

And I understand I'm going to get hit with depreciation...just didn't know how much after around 100k miles....who knows thigh i may drive it for the rest of my life lol
So I see. Sorry for my error, it was true for the 2011's, I didn't realize they later offered an upgrade of that leather. I would suspect that package adds almost nothing to the value. Probably doesn't add much of anything now, either, though, so look for it if you want it. It may come with other options driving the price up.

Vegas, I'm not so sure I'm that far off. I understand the release of the D5 will drop the value, but you have to remember the 2013-14 models have already been hit with a clip for being non-facelifted, and all D4's are already starting to feel the impending arrival of the D5. I'm certain the 2015's will not be below $40k in two years at that mileage. The other hit that the 2015's already took was with the release of the Plus.

Last edited by Jack88; 03-02-2017 at 01:56 AM.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

So I see. Sorry for my error, it was true for the 2011's, I didn't realize they later offered an upgrade of that leather. I would suspect that package adds almost nothing to the value. Probably doesn't add much of anything now, either, though, so look for it if you want it. It may come with other options driving the price up.

Vegas, I'm not so sure I'm that far off. I understand the release of the D5 will drop the value, but you have to remember the 2013-14 models have already been hit with a clip for being non-facelifted, and all D4's are already starting to feel the impending arrival of the D5. I'm certain the 2015's will not be below $40k in two years at that mileage. The other hit that the 2015's already took was with the release of the Plus.
So would you say a 2015 s8 with msrp of $130k with 45k miles would be a good deal at $69k?
Old 03-02-2017, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtyVegasTT
You have to take in consideration the new body style coming out that will through this formula off quite a bit.
Agreed. There will be a significant residual value hit on the D4 when the D5 comes out. That's one of the reasons I'm not in a huge hurry to pick up a D4. I'm going to wait a few more months for the inevitable dip and then snag a well optioned 4.0T or S8.

Best,
Old 03-02-2017, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritz
Agreed. There will be a significant residual value hit on the D4 when the D5 comes out. That's one of the reasons I'm not in a huge hurry to pick up a D4. I'm going to wait a few more months for the inevitable dip and then snag a well optioned 4.0T or S8.

Best,
From my Audi experience across a bunch of models the further hit is already underway. Starts at least a year before model announcement. Basically if there are any "when is the new model coming out" posts--or posts like the direction off this thread--it's already underway. A microcosm of the individual buyer sentiment that rolls up into macro softer demand. Used to be the spy shots in the Euro mags people would drool over. Now it has backed up to even Internet chatter, fairly predictable Audi model lives, and periodic leaks of new model intro timetables.

My rule of thumb is about a 20% further value clip--on top of the 20% or so per year annual clip. Apply 20% to last year's declining balance, so it is multiplicative. 100 --> 80% ---> 64% --> 51.2% --> etc.

A guess is we are already at least 5% in, maybe better part of 10 % on that overall 20% model change hit. It gets tangled up in the already large annual hit. The 20% annual is somewhat less for a new model in the opening few years when very few are on used market and dealers control a lot of them, but it evens out. For D4, in plain English, market has also gone soft in last year or two at least. Can see it in the board turn over for that matter as car transitions from almost all first owners to a fair mix now of second owners. Anyway, exact math is debatable, but horse is clearly out of barn for anyone who knows the vehicle, and the hit is underway.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 03-02-2017 at 07:45 AM.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
From my Audi experience across a bunch of models the further hit is already underway. Starts at least a year before model announcement. Basically if there are any "when is the new model coming out" posts--or posts like the direction off this thread--it's already underway. A microcosm of the individual buyer sentiment that rolls up into macro softer demand. Used to be the spy shots in the Euro mags people would drool over. Now it has backed up to even Internet chatter, fairly predictable Audi model lives, and periodic leaks of new model intro timetables.

My rule of thumb is about a 20% further value clip--on top of the 20% or so per year annual clip. Apply 20% to last year's declining balance, so it is multiplicative. 100 --> 80% ---> 64% --> 51.2% --> etc.

A guess is we are already at least 5% in, maybe better part of 10 % on that overall 20% model change hit. It gets tangled up in the already large annual hit. The 20% annual is somewhat less for a new model in the opening few years when very few are on used market and dealers control a lot of them, but it evens out. For D4, in plain English, market has also gone soft in last year or two at least. Can see it in the board turn over for that matter as car transitions from almost all first owners to a fair mix now of second owners. Anyway, exact math is debatable, but horse is clearly out of barn for anyone who knows the vehicle, and the hit is underway.
well i hope so because I think im going to buy the s8 that looks just like yours lol.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0

have you had any major or minor problems with the car?
Old 03-02-2017, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by cleex024
have you had any major or minor problems with the car?
In a year and about 8K miles, almost nothing. One horn doesn't work, which was actually not working when I bought it. Figured that out on 400 mile drive home; about the only thing I didn't check. Last summer gas gauge wouldn't go to full sometimes for about 30 min. after fill up. Known issue apparently, but last post I saw said no fix so far. Went away after several months by itself. Has a code I left stored. Oh and the windshield filler cap plastic retainer broke.

That's the list. Hasn't been worth even going in for that kind of stuff; waiting for first AudiCare service point.

Give it time BTW, you'll find the right one. My instinct is the one you flagged is a bit high actually, but haven't looked at market lately. The miles and then related warranty expiration make it an outlier. Better if it were CPO'ed. Otherwise it isn't just the price delta but that with that one it will be bare on warranty when others will have better part of two years to go even for 4/50. Plus the wear and tear in general for 45K. That would be many a 4 year old D4, yet it is only two.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 03-02-2017 at 01:16 PM.

Quick Reply: S8 4.0t vs. A8 4.0t engine differences?