A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S8 Driver Assist - ACC/Side Assist/Lane Assist

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default S8 Driver Assist - ACC/Side Assist/Lane Assist

After 30 months in a BMW 750 I have returned to the Audi family with a 2013 S8 that I picked up today. I don't like the lengthy delivery process so we cut it short (it was still an hour) so that I could play with my new toy. It is a beautiful machine.
Now I need your help or advice
I ordered the car with the driver assist package. The Window sticker shows two options in the build:
- the "S8 Driver Assistance package" and
- the "Driver Assistance package" - this one adds lane assist
It seems odd to me that it has these two listed but not as odd as the fact that the cruise stalk has no distance control button, the indicator stalk has no lane assist button, the mirrors have no side assist LEDs, there is no side assist button and the MMI has no menu settings as far as I can tell for the pre-sense.
Am I missing something or does my car have $2800 worth of non existent features? Are the systems in the S8 different? The manual refers to all the buttons that my car does not have so I think I know the answer.

2013 S8|Havanna Black|Balao Brown (Audi Design)|B&O|Full Leather|S8 Driver Assist|Night Vision Assist|S8 Cold Weather|Driver Assist|

Yes - I need to change my signature picture
Old 06-09-2013, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

It appears that you do not have the Driver Assistance Package or Lane Assist options--you should have all of the buttons and LED's that you indicate are missing. It does appear that you have the large round sensors at each corner of your lower front grill that normally would indicate that you have these options. Strange.

Last edited by HouTexAudi; 06-09-2013 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The photo is of my old S8, I think it was an 09.
I picked up the new car yesterday and I need to post photos.
I am now almost certain that it does not have Lane assist, Side assist, ACC or presense. The sticker states it has these options so it seems that Audi have built the car and released it without the options on the ticket. It is indeed bizarre.
Tomorrow could be an interesting one at the dealership. Perhaps I am missing something but I really do not think so.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by geordie
After 30 months in a BMW 750 I have returned to the Audi family with a 2013 S8 that I picked up today. I don't like the lengthy delivery process so we cut it short (it was still an hour) so that I could play with my new toy. It is a beautiful machine.
I ordered the car with the driver assist package. The Window sticker shows two options in the build:
It seems odd to me that it has these two listed but not as odd as the fact that the cruise stalk has no distance control button, the indicator stalk has no lane assist button, the mirrors have no side assist LEDs, there is no side assist button and the MMI has no menu settings as far as I can tell for the pre-sense.
Am I missing something or does my car have $2800 worth of non existent features? Are the systems in the S8 different? The manual refers to all the buttons that my car does not have so I think I know the answer.

2013 S8|Havanna Black|Balao Brown (Audi Design)|B&O|Full Leather|S8 Driver Assist|Night Vision Assist|S8 Cold Weather|Driver Assist|

First, congratulations on the purchase of your new S8 and welcome to this forum. I understand your issue about the long delivery process but the lack of the controls you listed would have become apparent then rather than after you brought the vehicle home...but why would you (or anyone) have reason to believe the car wasn't correctly built? Unfortunately, you do know the answer....without any of the items on your car, you simply don't have the features you ordered OR that are listed on the window sticker. Tomorrow will be a VERY interesting day at your Audi dealership and we can only wonder how they'll resolve this to your satisfaction. The missing options are important ones (based on my experiences with them) and retrofitting them to your vehicle will be a very expensive proposition for Audi that I doubt they would pursue. Please keep this forum updated as to how Audi and your dealer propose to make this "right" for you on their ultimate flagship vehicle.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well there was a strange moment during the walk through where the lane assist button could not be found and when i asked "it does have adaptive cruise doen't it?" and "where exactly are the side assist LEDs the saleperson reached for the sticker and stated, "sure look, there it is on the sticker"
I am guessing you don't expect a car like this to be missing a stated feature.
That said, I do feel like a complete chump for not checking it out.
If, and I stress if, the car doesn't have the features, I have no idea what they will do as I really don't think they can retrofit the car. I drive 20k miles a year so these features are not "nice to haves" for me at least.
We shall see.
Check out the photos in my album. You might be able to see the lack of the side assist button and the lack of menu features on the MMI

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/alb...albumid=168842
Old 06-09-2013, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Hate to say it but maybe you should have spent more than an hour at the dealership. We spent an hour with docs and general info and another hour of hands-on instruction from our sales rep. Very worthwhile and has saved us a lot of time in the "now what does this button do" department.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

No argument at this end!
Old 06-09-2013, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Based upon the photos you do not have adaptive cruise or pre-sense. The car is missing the radar sensors which look like fog lights in the lower corners.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yes, that is my take as well. Thanks for the confirmation!
Old 06-09-2013, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Yes, that is my take as well. Thanks for the confirmation!
Which is a shame; such a gorgeous car! It is going to be real interesting to hear what the dealer has to say and do about this situation. Best of luck as I concur that those particular options are "musts" especially with the kind of miles you drive yearly.

Quick Reply: S8 Driver Assist - ACC/Side Assist/Lane Assist