A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S8 first tow to dealer since new...sigh...

Old 10-14-2018, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm, blown turbo at 17.7k miles?! And I would think it would be able to run fine at idle even with a locked up turbo. Maybe if a compression/turbine wheel part was hanging up a valve then it could explain crappy running but a compression check would see that. So would a timing mismatch.

This is the 3rd warranty repair for my first german über-luxo-barge flagship and color me apprehensive. Yeah, its a rocket grocery getter/milk run, but shoot, it's gotta work to get there!

Thankfully, this happened with 2 months left on my factory warranty. And yeah, its at Rector.

However, a problem that has both "Hanz and Franz" back in das deutchland ya, in a head scratching fit has me a little scared....

Last edited by Ravill; 10-14-2018 at 08:51 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 576 Likes on 482 Posts

Yes, boom go the turbos as the sad tag line goes (more below). Audi doesn't want to talk about it, and I think owners maybe at times sometimes don't want to believe it either. Low miles, high miles, in warranty, out, A8, S8, tuned, not tuned. The only somewhat correlator seems to be the 2013's and the S6/S7/A8 4.0T are the most affected (compared to S8/RS7). But that can be explained by factors as simple as they are older, have more miles on average, and there are more S6's, S7's and A8's than RS7's and S8's. The turbos have been revised several times apparently, but again Audi doesn't want to discuss the why's. There are a handful of theories about what is going wrong. The one that seems most believable to me is a (dumb) screen in the anti draindown valve in the heads is clogging and then starving the oil feed to the turbo bearings. There are other guesses too, including faulty dealer maintenance on things as simple as oil filter changes with the eco correct but dubious design plastic crap oil filter housings how common on German cars.

I have posted on it before here with some cross links, since there seems to be little understanding or experience with it here. See here: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...-died-2946102/ (with my guess at reply 6), or here: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...3-4-a-2948372/ (guess starts at reply 2). Running through those threads in my replies you will find a reference to an AudiZine thread on their C7 board. For whatever reason, folks on that board seems to have like 100x the experience and sense of this as what you find on this board in general. AZ also groups the S6 and S7 together, while on AW those models are segregated out into low post volume boards. That thread is here: https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...goes-the-turbo I see it is up to 294 replies now. Mine have been trouble free and great, but the issues seems to me to come up suddenly out of left field. Yes, some tuned and then I have less sympathy, but a good percentage seem to be straight stock and some relatively low miles and often still under warranty. I have two more years of CPO and am stock, so happy on both counts. I also change the oil at well under 10K.

As far as the exact symptoms, I guess I could abstract to as simple as something that should spin freely in the intake flow isn't if it hits the housing. Even that could affect things some. If you rev it like in the video it will get/assume some boost, which will be missing if impeller is hitting and then could overfuel it for now less than expected total air volume. And yes, of course if a piece of the impeller gets eaten now all bets are off. Can take out an electrode on spark plug, jam a piston, bend a valve, all kinds of things. Compression check may not catch it BTW--from an old Audi experience. That is it could jam a piston briefly, maybe bend an electrode but then get ejected. And only by scoping do you then see the scrapes on the cylinder side wall which means long term those rings will go, but not immediately. Don't need to go through the parade of horribles and guesses though. Big picture, I would think they would simply get at the air intakes to the turbos and take a look at the impellers. Given they are right there on top with the hot V instead of buried like many other older Audi and VW designs, relatively easy to inspect.

And yes, it could be other things as diverse as a flaked out ECU, some kind of harness issue, bad chain drive to the cams, HPFP on one side, and a variety of others. But I would also think the Rector guys would find those...and in less than 3 weeks.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 10-14-2018 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Yes, boom go the turbos as the tag line goes (more below). Audi doesn't want to talk about it, and I think owners maybe at times sometimes don't want to believe it either. Low miles, high miles, in warranty, out, A8, S8, tuned, not tuned. The only somewhat correlator seems to be the 2013's and the A8's are the most affected. But that can be explained by factors as simple as they are older, have more miles on average, and there are more A8's than S8's. The turbos have been revised a few times, but again Audi doesn't want to discuss the why's. There are a handful of theories about what is going wrong. The one that seems most believable to me is a (dumb) screen in the anti drawdown valve in the heads is clogging and then starving the oil feed to the turbo bearings. There are other guesses too, including faulty dealer maintenance on things as simple as oil filter changes with the eco correct but dubious design plastic crap oil filter housings how common on German cars.

I have posted on it before here with some cross links, since there seems to be little understanding or experience with it here. See here: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...-died-2946102/ (with my guess at reply 6), or here: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...3-4-a-2948372/ (guess starts at reply 2). Running through those threads in my replies you will find a reference to an AudiZine thread on their C7 board. For whatever reason, folks on that board seems to have like 100x the experience and sense of this as what you find on this board in general. That thread is here: https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...goes-the-turbo I see it is up to 294 replies now. Mine have been trouble free and great, but the issues seems to me to come up suddenly out of left field. Yes, some tuned and then I have less sympathy, but a good percentage seem to be straight stock and some relatively low miles and often still under warranty. I have two more years of CPO and am stock, so happy on both counts. I also change the oil at well under 10K.

As far as the exact symptoms, I guess I could abstract to as simple as something that should spin freely in the intake flow isn't if it hits the housing. Even that could affect things some. And yes, of course if a piece of the impeller gets eaten now all bets are off. Can take out an electrode on spark plug, jam a piston, bend a valve, all kinds of things. Compression check may not catch it BTW--from an old Audi experience. That is it could jam a piston briefly, maybe bend an electrode but then get ejected. And only by scoping do you then see the scrapes on the cylinder side wall which means long term those rings will go, but not immediately. Don't need to go through the parade of horribles and guesses though. Big picture, I would think they would simply get at the air intakes to the turbos and take a look at the impellers. Given they are right there on top with the hot V instead of buried like many other older Audi and VW designs, relatively easy to inspect.

And yes, it could be other things as diverse as a flaked out ECU, some kind of harness issue, bad chain drive to the cams, HPFP on one side, and a variety of others. But I would also think the Rector guys would find those...and in less than 3 weeks.

Dude, your thread links.... **faint**

Wow, my Ronin S8 car chase classic best of all time scene....may be dead....ugh...
Old 10-18-2018, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you have to pay for the turbos or what? Everything has to be more expensive in San Francisco huh?

Last edited by PhillyVance; 10-18-2018 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10-24-2018, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

I am still under warranty.

Today is officially 30 days out of service. With 2 young boys, I'm not going to be able to have faith in this car.

Has anyone had a lemon buy back from audi?
Old 10-24-2018, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Ravill
I am still under warranty.

Today is officially 30 days out of service. With 2 young boys, I'm not going to be able to have faith in this car.

Has anyone had a lemon buy back from audi?
I think lemon law buy back relative to the 30 days out of commission is in first two years. As a 2015 you are likely past that. https://www.dca.ca.gov/acp/pdf_files/englemn.pdf Besides service manager--used to be Hector C. at Rector but maybe changed--seems like time to be calling the A8 concierge support folks on the 800 Audi line to get some better attention on it.
Old 10-25-2018, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yup, no lemon law for me.

I called my service advisor and they had to pull the engine to change an injector and they "think" that may fix it. Still no ETA.

Audi will need to give me their extended warranty equivalent to a CPO type deal for me to have any hope in this car.

Wow, one of the Audi flagship cars couldn't make it to 18,000 miles without an engine out procedure.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Pull motor to change an injector??? I know it is a hot V with intake and exhaust flipped around, but that seems absurd.
Old 10-25-2018, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Pull motor to change an injector??? I know it is a hot V with intake and exhaust flipped around, but that seems absurd.
Welp this settles it for me, my D3 will be the last flagship Audi I ever own out of warranty.
Old 10-25-2018, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Dont do that to yourself. I drove a 2012 4.2 with no warranty for 3 years, tires, brakes, windshield wipers and 1 motor reset on my panoramic sunroof. Who ever got that car has a rock solid car with 70k plus miles. Go get yourself a D4 when you can.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: S8 first tow to dealer since new...sigh...